Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: One party rule

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    03-23-18 @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,163

    One party rule

    My city is having an election. The incumbent mayor (Democrat) is backed by big business while the challenger is more traditional in this town; backed by the fire, police, and utility (city owned) unions. The incumbent has more campaign cash but the challenger (Democrat) has more manpower.

    My problem is that they are both tied to special interests. The incumbent has brought in some development, but at a cost. We got a new Amazon distribution center, but part of the deal is they pay nothing, nada, zero, for their utilities. This type of deal, along with property tax breaks, TIFF, and other inducements have resulted in our utility rates going up almost 100% in the past few years. Our property tax rates are now 4th highest in the nation.

    The challenger, on the other hand, has promised police and fire great new contracts, even better retirement and lots of new equipment. They already have a "great" deal without any enhancements. (These union members are required to live within city limits, so they carry some serious clout).

    My city has been run by Democrats for generations. There is no opposition. Only infighting within the Democratic machine.

    Most judgeships and other city offices, like Treasurer, have no opposition on the ballot. No one runs against the people in power.

    My state (Kansas) is run by Republicans. It has problems of it's own due to one party rule.

    At least at the national level power changes hands once in a while.

    Sorry about the rant, but I'm sick of one party rule. It's why many cities and some states are in such sorry shape.

  2. #2
    Sage
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,984

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    My city is having an election. The incumbent mayor (Democrat) is backed by big business while the challenger is more traditional in this town; backed by the fire, police, and utility (city owned) unions. The incumbent has more campaign cash but the challenger (Democrat) has more manpower.

    My problem is that they are both tied to special interests. The incumbent has brought in some development, but at a cost. We got a new Amazon distribution center, but part of the deal is they pay nothing, nada, zero, for their utilities. This type of deal, along with property tax breaks, TIFF, and other inducements have resulted in our utility rates going up almost 100% in the past few years. Our property tax rates are now 4th highest in the nation.

    The challenger, on the other hand, has promised police and fire great new contracts, even better retirement and lots of new equipment. They already have a "great" deal without any enhancements. (These union members are required to live within city limits, so they carry some serious clout).

    My city has been run by Democrats for generations. There is no opposition. Only infighting within the Democratic machine.

    Most judgeships and other city offices, like Treasurer, have no opposition on the ballot. No one runs against the people in power.

    My state (Kansas) is run by Republicans. It has problems of it's own due to one party rule.

    At least at the national level power changes hands once in a while.

    Sorry about the rant, but I'm sick of one party rule. It's why many cities and some states are in such sorry shape.
    Changing the political scene is a matter of not waiting for someone else to fix it -- but rather taking the initiative yourself. Start a group now, discuss the changes you'd like to see. Nominate someone in the next election who will represent those goals and then do your best to sell that person to the community. Listen to everyone and ignore no one. You can do it. Make you next election count.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    04-23-18 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    My city is having an election. The incumbent mayor (Democrat) is backed by big business while the challenger is more traditional in this town; backed by the fire, police, and utility (city owned) unions. The incumbent has more campaign cash but the challenger (Democrat) has more manpower.

    My problem is that they are both tied to special interests. The incumbent has brought in some development, but at a cost. We got a new Amazon distribution center, but part of the deal is they pay nothing, nada, zero, for their utilities. This type of deal, along with property tax breaks, TIFF, and other inducements have resulted in our utility rates going up almost 100% in the past few years. Our property tax rates are now 4th highest in the nation.

    The challenger, on the other hand, has promised police and fire great new contracts, even better retirement and lots of new equipment. They already have a "great" deal without any enhancements. (These union members are required to live within city limits, so they carry some serious clout).

    My city has been run by Democrats for generations. There is no opposition. Only infighting within the Democratic machine.

    Most judgeships and other city offices, like Treasurer, have no opposition on the ballot. No one runs against the people in power.

    My state (Kansas) is run by Republicans. It has problems of it's own due to one party rule.

    At least at the national level power changes hands once in a while.


    Sorry about the rant, but I'm sick of one party rule. It's why many cities and some states are in such sorry shape.

    In about 50 years after massive demographic change hits full force like a tidal wave the GOP will be reduced to a minor,regional,party.

    Wait and see.

    "What goes around,comes around."


  4. #4
    Sage
    RetiredUSN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Norfolk Virginia area.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,182

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    In about 50 years after massive demographic change hits full force like a tidal wave the GOP will be reduced to a minor,regional,party.

    Wait and see.

    "What goes around,comes around."

    You are worse than 'Chicken Little" with that line. Nobody can project what the demographics of either party will be.
    Its easier to run for office than to run the office.
    Tip O'Niell

  5. #5
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    04-23-18 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    You are worse than 'Chicken Little" with that line.
    Nobody can project what the demographics of either party will be.

    Anyone who dreams that those who belong to minorities will ever vote for those who want to suppress them is living in a dream world.

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,605

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    My city is having an election. The incumbent mayor (Democrat) is backed by big business while the challenger is more traditional in this town; backed by the fire, police, and utility (city owned) unions. The incumbent has more campaign cash but the challenger (Democrat) has more manpower.

    My problem is that they are both tied to special interests. The incumbent has brought in some development, but at a cost. We got a new Amazon distribution center, but part of the deal is they pay nothing, nada, zero, for their utilities. This type of deal, along with property tax breaks, TIFF, and other inducements have resulted in our utility rates going up almost 100% in the past few years. Our property tax rates are now 4th highest in the nation.

    The challenger, on the other hand, has promised police and fire great new contracts, even better retirement and lots of new equipment. They already have a "great" deal without any enhancements. (These union members are required to live within city limits, so they carry some serious clout).

    My city has been run by Democrats for generations. There is no opposition. Only infighting within the Democratic machine.

    Most judgeships and other city offices, like Treasurer, have no opposition on the ballot. No one runs against the people in power.

    My state (Kansas) is run by Republicans. It has problems of it's own due to one party rule.

    At least at the national level power changes hands once in a while.

    Sorry about the rant, but I'm sick of one party rule. It's why many cities and some states are in such sorry shape.
    This is sadly quite common in areas of the democratic world where there are a limited number of parties. Here in Spain you have areas where the same family has been in power for generations. Not far from here, a major has tried to quit for 20+ years but no one wanted to replace him since he is so popular... he is hugging 80 now and still trying to quit at each election. Now in my own country we dont have that anymore per say, since we have many parties even at a local level. Sure some counties and towns have the same party running it for decades if not forever, but there is an opposition that keeps them in check.

    Now one part of the problem is size of districts/counties/towns. I see your state has over 100 counties.. which is a lot considering the low population of most of them. Problem comes of course when you want to change things.. and history and all that bs comes up and is used to defend so called historical issues. But have to say, the Kansas counties look cool on a map.. nice and square
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,098

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    You are worse than 'Chicken Little" with that line. Nobody can project what the demographics of either party will be.
    He's also more vocal than Chicken Little with that line. And all of his lines, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  8. #8
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    03-09-18 @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    In about 50 years after massive demographic change hits full force like a tidal wave the GOP will be reduced to a minor,regional,party.

    Wait and see.

    "What goes around,comes around."

    Every time you repeat this silly line, I think of how many times you repeated how badly Hillary was gonna stomp Trump. And it gives me hope.

    Do you manually type this out the six or seven times a day you post it, or, do you copy and paste it from a book mark somewhere. Daily Kos maybe? Huffpo? Raw Story?
    Progressivism, ideas so good, they have to be mandatory

  9. #9
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    04-23-18 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,431
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Every time you repeat this silly line, I think of how many times you repeated how badly Hillary was gonna stomp Trump. And
    it gives me hope.


    Do you manually type this out the six or seven times a day you post it, or, do you copy and paste it from a book mark somewhere. Daily Kos maybe? Huffpo? Raw Story?

    Come back and tell us how much hope you have in about 50 years after massive demographic change hits.

    "No one can stop time and/or change."

  10. #10
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    03-09-18 @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: One party rule

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Come back and tell us how much hope you have in about 50 years after massive demographic change hits.

    "No one can stop time and/or change."
    Come back and tell us how wrong you were about Trump.
    Progressivism, ideas so good, they have to be mandatory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •