Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79

Thread: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

  1. #21
    Washed up prof. bowler
    Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,743

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    A township planning commission in northern Michigan on Tuesday denied a bottled water company’s request to build a new pumping station needed to withdraw more underground water.


    Michigan township panel rejects Nestle pump permit


    Currently, Nestle can withdraw 250 gallons of Michigan's water per minute. Their request would have given Nestle permission to withdraw 400 gallons per minute... all for the sake of profits. Meanwhile, Flint's residents are still struggling thanks to their poisoned water. I applaud the people of Osceola Township for standing up against this proposal.
    Thank God some good news. My faith in people is waning. Nestle is one of the most evil companies to ever avoid filing their taxes. They should not be allowed to get their way. Seems like no matter the issue, "more money is always better", even if it means people have crappier lives or die, because money always wins in this god forsaken world.

    Glad to hear some good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac77 View Post
    It could add fuel to the leftwing attacks on cops that was started by obama when he was president
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The headline says he resigned, however, he was essentially fired. Michael Bolton needs to bring in his people.

  2. #22
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    9,531

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I never said Nestle is to blame for the poor decisions made by Michigan's politicians. However, it does not seem right for a state to give away its most important resource for corporate profit while some of its own people cannot even access clean water from their faucets.
    Water is provided for by local authorities, the state has little to do with this. it's not "Michigan's water" it's the township's water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #23
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    9,531

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Thank God some good news. My faith in people is waning. Nestle is one of the most evil companies to ever avoid filing their taxes. They should not be allowed to get their way. Seems like no matter the issue, "more money is always better", even if it means people have crappier lives or die, because money always wins in this god forsaken world.

    Glad to hear some good news.
    I know that I can't hardly walk anywhere in this country without stepping on the bodies of people eliminated by Nestle selling bottled water

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #24
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    09-29-18 @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,870

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    it's not Nestle's water
    When the rights are leased/sold to them what they draw certainly does, as well as the profit made.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #25
    Washed up prof. bowler
    Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,743

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I know that I can't hardly walk anywhere in this country without stepping on the bodies of people eliminated by Nestle selling bottled water

    Do some homework on them. As Trump would say.. Bad!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac77 View Post
    It could add fuel to the leftwing attacks on cops that was started by obama when he was president
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The headline says he resigned, however, he was essentially fired. Michael Bolton needs to bring in his people.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    09-29-18 @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,870

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by WillyPete View Post
    Though I don't know that area, Michigan has plenty of water resources.

    What's not clear from the article is who was going to bear the expense of the new pumping station Nestle wanted. There's no mention of any benefit to that local government. It's not even clear there's a Nestle facility near that township that would see more jobs.

    The only mention of cost to them is the cost of the application and renewals.

    Surely it wouldn't be unreasonable for the township government to have their construction expenses covered, and possibly some ongoing investment into their water infrastructure from Nestle?
    It seems that State and any local taxes (if there are any), by product produced and sold and employee wages, would be flowing into the coffers.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    20,115

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    I respect the decision, but I would've hoped someone would've asked, "How about letting Nestle pump 400 gpm as long as they devote half of their profit from that increased operation to providing clean drinking water for those in need of it?" Seems like that would've been a better deal all the way around.

  8. #28
    Professor

    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,869

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    It seems that State and any local taxes (if there are any), by product produced and sold and employee wages, would be flowing into the coffers.
    Sure, but I don't see Nestle making claims that there are any potential job\wage\tax gains in play at all, let alone for this township.

    I'd expect they'd lead with that, if it existed.

  9. #29
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    83,580

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    When the rights are leased/sold to them what they draw certainly does, as well as the profit made.
    Well, it's high time we stop the practice of leasing and selling things which belong to the commons.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    09-29-18 @ 07:22 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,870

    Re: Michigan Rejects Nestle's Request For More Water

    This whole thing bothers me to no end.
    I just hate it when the Lower Peninsula calls any part of it "Northern Michigan". iLOL



    Quote Originally Posted by WillyPete View Post
    Sure, but I don't see Nestle making claims that there are any potential job\wage\tax gains in play at all, let alone for this township.

    I'd expect they'd lead with that, if it existed.
    What leads depends on the reporter here.
    Unless you are in Flint, then it is just hyperbole about lead.


    Here is a more in-depth article. (not by much though)
    I found the following portion interesting.


    [...]

    Critics honed in on the cost to the company for pulling more water from the ground: According to the DEQ, it would cost the company $5,000 for a permit application to withdraw about 210 million gallons a year, and an annual $200 fee for filing related annual paperwork.

    “If Flint could pay that rate, their annual household cost would be less than 75 cents per year,” said Peggy Case, president of the Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation, which opposes Nestle’s bid.

    She said she was outraged that Nestle can withdraw water for a price that is proportionally far less than the amount paid by Flint residents for water they couldn’t drink in it’s lead-contaminated water crisis, a fact often brought up by those opposed to Nestle’s bid.

    The fees are set by state law.

    [...]

    Nestle’s bid for more water withdrawal riles residents

    Maybe the State should change the fees?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •