Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 158 of 158

Thread: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

  1. #151
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,654

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, I don’t like the gvmt holding my diploma hostage. Change the welfare laws.
    do the work required to receive a diploma and you will receive your diploma
    what happened to conservatives being fond of personal responsibility
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning. ~ Sen. Corker

  2. #152
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,060
    Blog Entries
    38

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    do the work required to receive a diploma and you will receive your diploma
    what happened to conservatives being fond of personal responsibility
    I’m not sure exactly what you mean. I DO think it’s a matter of personal responsibility which is why getting one’s high school diploma shouldn’t have strings.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #153
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,654

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I’m not sure exactly what you mean. I DO think it’s a matter of personal responsibility which is why getting one’s high school diploma shouldn’t have strings.
    but you are the one saying the student should face no consequences for failing to perform a graduation prerequisite
    you would choose to relieve the student of that responsibility and instead gift him/her a diploma they had not earned
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning. ~ Sen. Corker

  4. #154
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,060
    Blog Entries
    38

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but you are the one saying the student should face no consequences for failing to perform a graduation prerequisite
    you would choose to relieve the student of that responsibility and instead gift him/her a diploma they had not earned
    The graduation prerequisite was added by the Mayor, not the school system. If that was a school prerequisite, the school should have prepared them through counseling during the school year. What’s next? They have to have a job?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #155
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,654

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The graduation prerequisite was added by the Mayor, not the school system. If that was a school prerequisite, the school should have prepared them through counseling during the school year.
    if fulfilling that prerequisite caused students to visit with their guidance counselors then that would have been a good thing of itself

    What’s next? They have to have a job?
    here, they must complete a term paper their senior year, to demonstrate some of what they have learned. no term paper, no diploma paper. part of the effort to make students responsible prior to their being sent out into the world of work as emancipated adults

    not a fan of rahm, but he got this prerequisite right
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning. ~ Sen. Corker

  6. #156
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,060
    Blog Entries
    38

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if fulfilling that prerequisite caused students to visit with their guidance counselors then that would have been a good thing of itself

    here, they must complete a term paper their senior year, to demonstrate some of what they have learned. no term paper, no diploma paper. part of the effort to make students responsible prior to their being sent out into the world of work as emancipated adults

    not a fan of rahm, but he got this prerequisite right
    I see. That’ll teach me not to read the link thoroughly. As long as it’s done during the school year, I have no problem with it. Thanks for your patience in helping me understand. I’m with you.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #157
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,176

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    The government has every right, even a duty, to promote and encourage a post high plan. It doesn't have the right to force the student, and withhold that diploma as a punishment for non-compliance. If he/she earned the diploma, it should be theirs, no strings attached.
    You don't have some inalienable right to a diploma. The government determines what the requirements are for getting a diploma.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #158
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    138

    Re: Rahm Emanuel to require post-high school plan to get diploma.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You don't have some inalienable right to a diploma. The government determines what the requirements are for getting a diploma.
    Sure you do, if you met the academic requirements. And that could include writing a term paper to show you learned something. But forcing you to pick a career as a requirement is beyond academics. I should be able to say I have no plan at all and still get the diploma.

    We don't lose our freedoms all at once, but a little at a time. We accept controls in increments. My grandson won't even know he lost anything, because he will never know those freedoms ever existed.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •