Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

  1. #31
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,597

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Logician Man View Post
    If you've ever read John Grisham's ' Innocent Man', the wrongly convicted was a childhood friend. Spent years on death row, was days away from execution, Barry Sheck and the Innocence Project saved him at the last minute via DNA evidence. Poor guy got a 500,000 dollar settlement upon release, and drank himself to death in about a year. Great read if you're so inclined. The judge in that trial was previously my father's attorney at one time.
    Does DNA evidence always provide certainty as proof of innocence or could it simply cast doubt upon guilt?

  2. #32
    A Greater Awakening

    Logician Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,756

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    Does DNA evidence always provide certainty as proof of innocence or could it simply cast doubt upon guilt?
    Well, in this particular book, which is non-fiction, the actual murderer confessed after the DNA evidence was presented. To answer your question in general, No, of course DNA does not 'always' provide 'certainty' as proof of innocence, or guilt, for that matter. But I think most would agree it is a valuable tool in the arsenal of forensic truth seeking.
    Last edited by Logician Man; 04-10-20 at 02:39 AM.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,597

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Logician Man View Post
    Well, in this particular book, which is non-fiction, the actual murderer confessed after the DNA evidence was presented. To answer your question in general, No, of course DNA does not 'always' provide 'certainty' as proof of innocence, or guilt, for that matter. But I think most would agree it is a valuable tool in the arsenal of forensic truth seeking.
    My question was about DNA in general, though I do agree it provides a very useful tool especially in cases of rape, but a confession most often results in certainty of guilt.

  4. #34
    Sensational
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,479
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Most countries are not like US jails, that mostly is a US problem (when looking at first world jail systems).

    If you lock people up like animals (with dozens to a cage/room) you will get murder and violence.
    But that's what you want. Just read your own messages on this thread. Plus you just explained it only costs $31,000 a year - but then immediately advocate spending vastly more to make life for murders really comfortable in prison.

    You didn't answer the question. Why does nearly everyone on death row fight to block the execution anyway possible to the very end if death is such a wonderful alternative for them?
    Coronavirus still poses a low risk to the general public in the US.""If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship." "If you have tested negative for covid-19, there is no reason to wear a mask." Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID

  5. #35
    Sensational
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,479
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by HIP56948 View Post
    I'm totally against the death penalty. People kill citizens (openly) every day of the week and yet nothing happens to them, simply because they happen to be powerful and/or rich. I say this because a post on some? website pointed out a good point...year or two ago.
    Lots of corporations, especially here in Florida have been caught dumping many tons of poison industrial waste into the aquifer, lakes, rivers and so forth.. A FEW of them have been caught and face fines of (OMG!) the profit amounting to 1-2 days of doing business...I'm also talking about YOU..Mosaic Corporation (You lying pieces of human garbage.)
    The thing is, their actions have made people extremely sick and in turn actually shortened peoples's lives. (Mercury, Lead, Cadmium..etc) SO, the question I have to ponder is>> What's worse, somebody kills 2 people (As those disgusting human beings did), OR someone who shortens the lives of hundreds or even thousands of innocent children, adults, animals..etc?
    My answer is I-Don't-know. What I do know and feel is I'll be damn if I'm going to kill some people because of their actions and let others, who happen to know the good-ol-boys.. pay an insulting paltry fine.
    True, my first instinct is to kill those b*stards (The 2 above) myself, with an ax but No..not when others get to go home at night and keep living.
    So your point is that you want to set them all free to be fair about it. Doesn't matter the crime, everyone goes free.
    Coronavirus still poses a low risk to the general public in the US.""If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship." "If you have tested negative for covid-19, there is no reason to wear a mask." Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    59,019

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Individual View Post
    My question was about DNA in general, though I do agree it provides a very useful tool especially in cases of rape, but a confession most often results in certainty of guilt.
    Many people agree to confess to get a lighter sentence even if they are not guilty

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    59,019

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Personally I have always preferred the idea of banishment

  8. #38
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,157

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    But that's what you want. Just read your own messages on this thread. Plus you just explained it only costs $31,000 a year - but then immediately advocate spending vastly more to make life for murders really comfortable in prison.

    You didn't answer the question. Why does nearly everyone on death row fight to block the execution anyway possible to the very end if death is such a wonderful alternative for them?
    Why the hell would I know, because it is the normal way of things.

    I am advocating life in jail, you are totally right. I think it is the best possible punishment.
    Easy rule to hold yourself to, avoid crowds. Use masks when in public transport or when you cannot keep distance, help society by protecting yourself

  9. #39
    Sensational
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,479
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Why the hell would I know, because it is the normal way of things.

    I am advocating life in jail, you are totally right. I think it is the best possible punishment.
    Yes, you are advocating protecting murders from their victims by providing them protection in a carefree life at everyone's - including the surviving victims (friends/relatives) - pay for - to give that murder the opportunity to continue to assault and attack other people in prison.

    Many Americans have had it and time to time in a courthouse or to-from it a survivor (father/husband) will gun down the murderer because they know the court is only going to reward them by giving them free-everything until they are ultimately released again - and 99% of people given a life sentence who do not die or are violently murdered in prison are released.

    But we could go round and round on this. The death penalty is a certain deterrent because it prevents the person from murdering anyone again - including in prison. The murder rate of prisoners in the USA is 264 per 100,000 per year - nearly all committed by convicted murders. So the murderer gets life sentence for murder - and the person convicted of pedophilia is actually sentenced to death by being violently murders. Your advocacy for life sentence for murders is hundreds of executions of non-murderers instead - murdered by the murderers you want to protect from harm.

    The alternative of solitary confinement and isolation is considered one of the cruelest forms of torture. Do you support torturing people in prison? Or execution-by-murder in prison? In pragmatic reality - not dogmatic slogans - you must pick one.
    Coronavirus still poses a low risk to the general public in the US.""If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship." "If you have tested negative for covid-19, there is no reason to wear a mask." Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID

  10. #40
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    30,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty Case if ever there was one

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    DP in the US is not a free ticket out. It's actually rather cruel. You spend thirty years in isolation with overly optimistic lawyers pumping false hope up your ass, only to be denied a stay at the last minute by a Right Wing court.

    Think of it that way.
    The State can't be trusted to maintain a park and set fishing limits without screw-ups and corruption. You give the State the right to execute citizens and the first place it'll use it is in crime against itself- treason and espionage.
    Capital punishment is just a Muslim thing nowadays anyway, Muslim and Asian.
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks, though the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I donít know.Ē
    -Donald Trump-

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •