Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,338

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Martial arts training is pertinent to the facts surrounding around any case. As someone said.. it should neither be seen as a negative.. or as a positive.. but depends on the facts of the case.

    Someone that has martial arts training.. I would say.. would be less likely to convince me that in a situation fighting an smaller, obviously untrained opponent that they felt endangered and were justified in using what I would consider "excessive force".

    On the flip side.. I also agree that at times the martial arts training justifies what others would consider excessive force. For example.. I know of one fellow that was trained in the same martial art that I am (I have a couple of brown belts in two disciplines and am working on black in another).

    He was looking at being charged with aggravated battery because he was attacked by a fellow who threw the first punch... and in defending himself, broke the fellows wrist, elbow, ribs, and nose.

    The aggravated assault charge was primarily based on the extent of the injuries that resulted from the fellow throwing a punch. However, one of the instructors in the discipline was able to show the DA that the technique that was taught as a defense to a punch to the face, was a single technique with a strike, continuing into a throw and would result in such injuries. In other words..the injuries did not take place over a period of time where the person could have walked away.. or were the result of over use of force.. but were the result of a learned response to a punch to the face.
    Based on the information provided to the DA..the charges were not filed against the martial artist.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    19,182

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Drowning Man View Post
    /shrug
    I understand that you do not care about rights, apparently, or logic and reason for that matter.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  3. #83
    Student Drowning Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    298

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    I understand that you do not care about rights, apparently, or logic and reason for that matter.
    Rights are codified into law. That also wouldn’t be a “should” argument, but would point to specific rights. So if you have a “rights” argument, sure...let’s hear it.

    As for “logic and reason”, I’d say that you looked pretty silly with your response considering what I was asking for...

    Again, /shrug....

  4. #84
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    19,182

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Drowning Man View Post
    Rights are codified into law. That also wouldn’t be a “should” argument, but would point to specific rights. So if you have a “rights” argument, sure...let’s hear it.

    As for “logic and reason”, I’d say that you looked pretty silly with your response considering what I was asking for...

    Again, /shrug....
    Rights are not codified by law. They exist in a state where they are validated by law or violated by law. And your argument has been ****, continues to be ****. It's so bad that you aren't even making valid points anymore.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  5. #85
    Student Drowning Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    298

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    Rights are not codified by law. They exist in a state where they are validated by law or violated by law.
    Um...wow...

    Good luck with that. You’ll need it.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    19,182

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Drowning Man View Post
    Um...wow...

    Good luck with that. You’ll need it.
    I accept your concession.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  7. #87
    Student Drowning Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    298

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    I accept your concession.
    I always concede to an unarmed man in a battle of wits. Who wants to be stuck arguing with a complete moron?

  8. #88
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    19,182

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Drowning Man View Post
    I always concede to an unarmed man in a battle of wits. Who wants to be stuck arguing with a complete moron?
    Oh pumkin...you think you're winning here. That's cute.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  9. #89
    Student Drowning Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    298

    Re: What Should Not Be Used Against You In Court If You Get Into A Fight

    No, snookums, you win. I’m sure there is an internet prize waiting for you, somewhere.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •