Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

  1. #21
    Sage AProudLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,330

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    Prisons tend not to give too much of a **** about mentally ill (whether it's a disease or brain damage as you mention) inmates. Something like 50% of inmates are, on average. I suppose if it were bad enough they'd just transfer the guy to a prison hospital, but they wouldn't let him go. I suppose he could beg the governor for some sort of compassionate commutation/pardon, but if it was that bad he'd still end up in a hospital of some sort.
    You were talking about personal identity. You are still you after you're back to life. With amnesia or brain damage, you are no longer you. There's legal precedence of such thing, especially when a crime was committed in a drunken stupor.
    Trump: "Our plan is to keep the American people safe."

    Pelosi: "That's not a plan. That's a goal."

  2. #22
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,976

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    Prisons tend not to give too much of a **** about mentally ill (whether it's a disease or brain damage as you mention) inmates. Something like 50% of inmates are, on average. I suppose if it were bad enough they'd just transfer the guy to a prison hospital, but they wouldn't let him go. I suppose he could beg the governor for some sort of compassionate commutation/pardon, but if it was that bad he'd still end up in a hospital of some sort.

    Well I mean, defense attorneys for 50% of prisoners claim they’re mentally Ill and professionals who diagnose that kind of thing are just paid prostitutes. If you want mental illness you can have it.
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #23
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,976

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    That's what I figured. But double jeopardy applies to the SAME crime. I.e. the same charge with the same victim, legally. The only way to charge her is to charge her with lesser crime.
    It wouldn’t be the same crime.

    It would involve the same victim, but it would’ve occured in different dates, under different circumstances, etc. Plus the first conviction would’ve been vacated anyway.
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #24
    Sage AProudLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,330

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It wouldn’t be the same crime.

    It would involve the same victim, but it would’ve occured in different dates, under different circumstances, etc. Plus the first conviction would’ve been vacated anyway.
    Hmm. Good point about the conviction being vacated. But then again there's the problem of already SERVING the sentence.
    Trump: "Our plan is to keep the American people safe."

    Pelosi: "That's not a plan. That's a goal."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    12-13-19 @ 10:25 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,556

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmNat View Post
    He didn't die. Doctors erroneously pronounced him dead.
    If doctors pronounced him dead it is because he died...

  6. #26
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,976

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Hmm. Good point about the conviction being vacated. But then again there's the problem of already SERVING the sentence.
    Well no, she would’ve served the sentence for the vacated conviction.

    A hypothetical subsequent conviction for murder of the same man, would’ve involved different motives, took place at a different time, by different means, it’s a substantially different matter.

    There’s also the fact that when she is convicted it’s in the state of Washington whereas she finally kills him in New Orleans and since Louisiana is a separate sovereign then Washington they are not bound by Washington’s conviction for the purposes of double jeopardy. Plus it was defense of self and others and a clear justifiable homicide
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  7. #27
    Sage AProudLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,330

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well no, she would’ve served the sentence for the vacated conviction.

    A hypothetical subsequent conviction for murder of the same man, would’ve involved different motives, took place at a different time, by different means, it’s a substantially different matter.

    There’s also the fact that when she is convicted it’s in the state of Washington whereas she finally kills him in New Orleans and since Louisiana is a separate sovereign then Washington they are not bound by Washington’s conviction for the purposes of double jeopardy. Plus it was defense of self and others and a clear justifiable homicide
    But if she has served her sentence, why does she has to serve it again when she is once innocent? I forgot where in the Constitution it is mentioned but in general, once you're punished and served your sentence, you cannot continue to be punished with additional sentences.
    Trump: "Our plan is to keep the American people safe."

    Pelosi: "That's not a plan. That's a goal."

  8. #28
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,976

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    But if she has served her sentence, why does she has to serve it again when she is once innocent? I forgot where in the Constitution it is mentioned but in general, once you're punished and served your sentence, you cannot continue to be punished with additional sentences.
    Well no, the constitution does not say that, in fact the opposite is true.

    For example when the sex offender registries were passed people who had already served their sentences were made to register, and when the lautenberg amendment (domestic violence offender gun ban) was passed it retroactively applied to all people previously convicted of domestic violence assault
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  9. #29
    A Little Bitter

    Mr Person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    28,109

    Re: Man dies but lives... did he serve his life sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    It's a silly argument that ignores the plain intent of laws imposing life sentences.

    If you "die" but are brought back, you are once more alive. It's still the you that was sentenced.
    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    And if, as a result, you got amnesia or some kind of brain damage, resulting in loss of identity and memories?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Person View Post
    Prisons tend not to give too much of a **** about mentally ill (whether it's a disease or brain damage as you mention) inmates. Something like 50% of inmates are, on average. I suppose if it were bad enough they'd just transfer the guy to a prison hospital, but they wouldn't let him go. I suppose he could beg the governor for some sort of compassionate commutation/pardon, but if it was that bad he'd still end up in a hospital of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    You were talking about personal identity. You are still you after you're back to life. With amnesia or brain damage, you are no longer you. There's legal precedence of such thing, especially when a crime was committed in a drunken stupor.
    Yes, I was initially talking about personal identity since the notion that someone who is alive arguing that they died (but are now not dead, quite obviously) so they served their sentence is an idiotic "hail Mary" argument. What they really mean is that their heart stopped but they were revived. But then you suggested that if it caused brain damage that wiped their memories - doesn't seem to be the case here - they should maybe be released.





    Bolded: Such as....?

    One can certainly argue at trial that one was so intoxicated one could not have formed the intent to premeditate murder, but that's a pretty limited defense. Many if not most if not all states do not allow voluntary intoxication to be a complete defense (meaning "acquit me if you find I got so drunk I could not form either specific or general intent).

    There's also an insanity defense, and physical brain damage can certainly play a role of that.

    But this is well after trial. I'm not aware of any mechanism to say "ok, well, I suffered brain damage and now I can't remember what I supposedly did, so let me go free."



    I do criminal appeals and other post-conviction work, so I'm thinking about this in lawyer terms. I haven't had a client suffer brain damage of the sort you mention while in prison, so I haven't had occasion to go digging and find out the answer, but I also haven't heard of any mechanism where you get to ask for release because you suffered brain damage in jail. Hence I suggested it would probably be only a question of moving the person to a prison hospital type situation rather than keeping them in gen. pop, or perhaps some sort of commutation/pardon from the relevant executive.
    Zelensky: [. . .] We are ready to continue to cooperate for the next steps specifically we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defense purposes.

    Trump: I would like you to do us a favor though [. . . ]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •