Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 149 of 149

Thread: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

  1. #141
    Sage
    SDET's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,720

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    I would just look at a woman like that straight in the eye and say "I live by the idea: Don't **** where you eat. This is always a bad idea." A direct approach like that should work.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Yes... that's what you have to do.. but even that doesn't work all the time. I did that contracting with a hospital early in my career. The nurses were often flirting etc with the Dr.s all the time. I had one particular nurse.. 20 something.. that hit on me something fierce. Pulled me into supply closets to supposedly talk about patients and then show me the new tattoo on her tush. etc. I knew to just play it cool because it was known that she had already had 2 affairs with two of the surgeons.

    Well.. after basically playing stupid to her advances for about 4 months.. she started telling the nurses I was gay.. or must not have any (blank).. and so on. Publically,, and in groups of nurses in the nursing station where I could hear the giggles. One day.. I walked in on her saying sexual comments about me.. and I spouted off a bit saying.. "you know.. pirates must love you"... Pirates like sunken chests". Well.. the other girls laughed uproariously.

    And 30 minutes later I was talking to the CEO, CFO and Head of HR and being accused of sexual harassment etc. Luckily.. I had witnesses that were willing to admit that she was saying things about me.. and had been for months.. IN FRONT OF SUPERVISORS no less. that's she had made bets earlier with the nurses how long before I went out with her.. etc.
    AND I was willing to fight and told the hospital that I was going to make a countersuit against the hospital for an unsafe work environment and was going to be the first male to bring a sexual harassment suit against a corporation. And wouldn't that make news.. and that we could air out all the dirty laundry.. like the fact that she had affairs with two of the hospitals surgeons etc. THAT made them pucker up.. because they knew of her behavior.

    And so. they promoted her to another area of the hospital system.. and left me alone.

  2. #142
    Sage
    SDET's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,720

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    It doesn't eat at me any more than driving around on bald tires would. I see a liability risk and I manage that risk. I would only care if the MARKET thought I was nothing, because that means not getting paid. That is easily remedied by watching job listings and watching for missing skills. I'm not mortified by women or else I would be mortified by you.

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    No, the word is terrified.

    You are mortified of women, you are terrified that they will realize that you really are nothing.

    It eats at you.

  3. #143
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    20,158

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I have been through maybe a dozen or so. I think they condition men not to interact with women. Even years ago, way before the formal corporate training, men often said to each other "don't **** where you eat". That means DO NOT fraternize with females at the company in any manner. It's been a given my whole professional life. With DECADES of such indoctrination, how would any man do anything that even comes close to sexual harassment? I don't get it. So much as a greeting is a risk. Why chance it?
    Are you honestly arguing that guys never hit on women they work with?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #144
    Sage
    SDET's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,720

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    I have never met one foolish enough to do so. I do remember one of my former managers tell me that he divorced his wife be cause she started dating a co-worker. I know about it indirectly, but never witnessed it myself in over thirty years in the corporate environment.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Are you honestly arguing that guys never hit on women they work with?

  5. #145
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    20,158

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I have never met one foolish enough to do so. I do remember one of my former managers tell me that he divorced his wife be cause she started dating a co-worker. I know about it indirectly, but never witnessed it myself in over thirty years in the corporate environment.
    You might not be very perceptive then. I have seen it going on in every company I have worked for since I started working 25 years ago. Hell I bet if you polled married couples, 10 to 20 percent met at work.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  6. #146
    Sage
    SDET's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,720

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    I keep my head down and produce well written and well architected code. I tune out and have no interest in the social bullcrap. I'm there to work and only to work. Any kind of conversation annoys me. And the ****ing, annoying chatter generally comes from a loud overbearing female voice. My dislike for chatter must be a bigger benefit than I previously realized.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You might not be very perceptive then. I have seen it going on in every company I have worked for since I started working 25 years ago. Hell I bet if you polled married couples, 10 to 20 percent met at work.

  7. #147
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    20,158

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I keep my head down and produce well written and well architected code. I tune out and have no interest in the social bullcrap. I'm there to work and only to work. Any kind of conversation annoys me. And the ****ing, annoying chatter generally comes from a loud overbearing female voice. My dislike for chatter must be a bigger benefit than I previously realized.
    I am a Senior DevOps Engineer.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,646

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I have been through maybe a dozen or so. I think they condition men not to interact with women. Even years ago, way before the formal corporate training, men often said to each other "don't **** where you eat". That means DO NOT fraternize with females at the company in any manner. It's been a given my whole professional life. With DECADES of such indoctrination, how would any man do anything that even comes close to sexual harassment? I don't get it. So much as a greeting is a risk. Why chance it?
    While you may not see it and while there are numerous anti sexual harassment/assault classes......it still happens. Thatís why the courses keep showing up.

    Luckily Iím married and have absolutely no interest in friendships from work. All my friends are outside of my job and I donít friend coworkers on social media. Essentially my work life is completely separated from my personal life and that has only allowed me to flourish at my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  9. #149
    Sage
    SDET's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,720

    Re: Are corporate anti-sexual harassment courses too extreme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas View Post
    While you may not see it and while there are numerous anti sexual harassment/assault classes......it still happens. Thatís why the courses keep showing up.

    Luckily Iím married and have absolutely no interest in friendships from work. All my friends are outside of my job and I donít friend coworkers on social media. Essentially my work life is completely separated from my personal life and that has only allowed me to flourish at my job.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •