Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    47,234
    Blog Entries
    16

    A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Have you seen the Steven King Movie, the Mist? This ONE:
    The Mist (film) - Wikipedia
    Starring Thomas Jane?

    Now if you've seen it, aces, keep reading. if you have NOT, please, go watch it, start to finish and come back to this.

    Read it? SEEN THE MOVIE?

    Hello?


    Yes?

    Aces, here we go. You're the DA of that county, the Mist thing actually happens, you're there with the aftermath, and that situation at the end of the film comes up. Would you prosecute the father for Murder?
    https://www.athletebiz.us/athletes/dana-mecke/store

    Ask me about playing Overwatch!! We have a regular group and a twitch stream.

  2. #2
    Guru
    lwf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,702

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Have you seen the Steven King Movie, the Mist? This ONE:
    The Mist (film) - Wikipedia
    Starring Thomas Jane?

    Now if you've seen it, aces, keep reading. if you have NOT, please, go watch it, start to finish and come back to this.

    Read it? SEEN THE MOVIE?

    Hello?


    Yes?

    Aces, here we go. You're the DA of that county, the Mist thing actually happens, you're there with the aftermath, and that situation at the end of the film comes up. Would you prosecute the father for Murder?
    No. Extenuating circumstances.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    47,234
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by lwf View Post
    No. Extenuating circumstances.
    My wife and I were having this discussion and I thought it might make for a fun discussion. She was torn on the matter as he DID kill three people.
    https://www.athletebiz.us/athletes/dana-mecke/store

    Ask me about playing Overwatch!! We have a regular group and a twitch stream.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,157

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Have you seen the Steven King Movie, the Mist? This ONE:
    The Mist (film) - Wikipedia
    Starring Thomas Jane?

    Now if you've seen it, aces, keep reading. if you have NOT, please, go watch it, start to finish and come back to this.

    Read it? SEEN THE MOVIE?

    Hello?


    Yes?

    Aces, here we go. You're the DA of that county, the Mist thing actually happens, you're there with the aftermath, and that situation at the end of the film comes up. Would you prosecute the father for Murder?
    Shouldn't this be in the entertainment section? I'm not going to watch a movie to help you prove your point.

  5. #5
    Guru
    lwf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,702

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    My wife and I were having this discussion and I thought it might make for a fun discussion. She was torn on the matter as he DID kill three people.
    True, but one has to consider the motive. I'd put it in the same category as the survivors of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 resorting to cannibalism to survive in the Andes. Laws tend not to apply in sufficiently extreme circumstances. I think it's unfair to retroactively apply the laws of civilization to survivors of a catastrophe who have to resort to extreme measures to survive. (Or, in this case, to choose a quick death over a terrible one.)

  6. #6
    Guru
    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Would you prosecute the father for Murder?
    Nope. Pointless. Can't punish that dude more than he'll punish himself.

    That was one of the most ****ed up endings to a film I've ever seen. Worse than the original Old Boy, worse than The Sword of Doom (both messed with me.)

    Also, Steven King WISHES he'd written that ending in the original novella.
    Ask about my German oranges!

  7. #7
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    47,234
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by lwf View Post
    True, but one has to consider the motive. I'd put it in the same category as the survivors of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 resorting to cannibalism to survive in the Andes. Laws tend not to apply in sufficiently extreme circumstances. I think it's unfair to retroactively apply the laws of civilization to survivors of a catastrophe who have to resort to extreme measures to survive. (Or, in this case, to choose a quick death over a terrible one.)
    My wife agrees with you btw, when I asked her : Instead of asking "would you" what about :could you: even charge him?
    https://www.athletebiz.us/athletes/dana-mecke/store

    Ask me about playing Overwatch!! We have a regular group and a twitch stream.

  8. #8
    Guru
    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    My wife agrees with you btw, when I asked her : Instead of asking "would you" what about :could you: even charge him?
    That man was driven insane worse than if Cthulu frenched him.

    He's not competent to stand trial, and death would be a mercy.
    Ask about my German oranges!

  9. #9
    Guru
    lwf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    PNW
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,702

    Re: A legal Theoretical (aimed at you TD)

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    My wife agrees with you btw, when I asked her : Instead of asking "would you" what about :could you: even charge him?
    I'm not sure. I'd think his lawyer would have a hell of a defense case if he was charged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •