Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

  1. #31
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Charging children as adults is pathetic and it's hypocritical. You can't give kids the responsibility and retribution a fully thinking adult has, if you're going to deny kids the right to things adults are entitled to.

    I firmly disagree with charging children as adults. I think it is inhumane, it is cruel and unusual, and it is a disgusting practice.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  2. #32
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I know 13 year-old's that are far more cognizant of their actions than some 40 year-old's... and NOBODY "entirely" knows the consequences of their actions...
    That does not mean they should be punished like adults.

    They can't buy cigarettes or alcohol or porn but they can be treated like adults in the eyes of the law?

    Heinous hypocrisy.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  3. #33
    Sage
    OldFatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,675

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    Charging children as adults is pathetic and it's hypocritical. You can't give kids the responsibility and retribution a fully thinking adult has, if you're going to deny kids the right to things adults are entitled to.

    I firmly disagree with charging children as adults. I think it is inhumane, it is cruel and unusual, and it is a disgusting practice.
    It is inhumane when a victim suffers rape or death at the hands of a child. You assume children do not know the consequence of their actions, simply because they are children. Children are aware of death before they can speak. Children are aware of life the moment they issue their first cry at birth.
    What kind of a man is a man who has not left this world a better place?

    No one is in control.

  4. #34
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    It is inhumane when a victim suffers rape or death at the hands of a child. You assume children do not know the consequence of their actions, simply because they are children. Children are aware of death before they can speak. Children are aware of life the moment they issue their first cry at birth.
    None of which even matters. Yes, it's wrong for a child to rape or murder someone. It is equally unjust and legally hypocritical to charge them as adults.

    And no, they are not aware of death or life. That awareness comes with time and wisdom.

    You support inhumane tragedies.

    Are you "pro life?"

    Moreover, children do not comprehend time. They don't comprehend the consequence of their action. They literally cannot comprehend "Life without the possibility of parole."

    This society is ****ing barbaric and people like you that embrace this disgusting activity need to be refused the right to vote.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  5. #35
    Sage
    OldFatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,675

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    None of which even matters. Yes, it's wrong for a child to rape or murder someone. It is equally unjust and legally hypocritical to charge them as adults.

    And no, they are not aware of death or life. That awareness comes with time and wisdom.

    You support inhumane tragedies.

    Are you "pro life?"

    Moreover, children do not comprehend time. They don't comprehend the consequence of their action. They literally cannot comprehend "Life without the possibility of parole."

    This society is ****ing barbaric and people like you that embrace this disgusting activity need to be refused the right to vote.
    You are wrong. Children are aware of death and life. They know the difference. Visit a child's cancer ward and learn. Even the youngest know exactly what is at stake. And they are very much aware of the passage of time. Awareness of the passage of time is crucial to recognizing the value of life. You vastly underestimate children. They are inherently more perceptive than you think yourself to be.

    You support the continued victimization by children who are truly evil. This a tragedy.

    Of course, I am pro life. Every human being is pro life or they would be dead. Your stupid labels and assumptions don't apply. Children who commit capital crimes and the subsequent excision of them as a danger to society is not analogous to abortion rights. You think you support mercy with your idealism. Which is more merciful, a quick death or the lingering death of a lifetime incarcerated? Or perhaps, the release of a child criminal, after learning to be a better criminal, at adulthood, free to victimize others?

    I am not begging the question. I oppose abortion with exception for sparing the mother's life or removing a non-vital fetus. However, I recognize and distinguish the rights of a potential mother to make her own decisions, without hindrance from me, pursuant to the laws of the land. With exception for those who are judged insane by professionals, unconscious for any reason, issues far beyond my ability to judge. As in the recent case of a raped women believed to be in some sort of coma or semiconscious state, who had no options for bringing a pregnancy to term. Who are we to judge, had her responsible guardians, parents or not, demanded an abortion had they known of her pregnancy?

    Where do you get the god damn audacity to bring the right to vote into this equation, or judge what kind of person I am, from one conversation. You are the disgusting one here, with no respect for victims and potential future victims because of your delicate sensibilities. This is a cruel world we inhabit, and that does not offer you to judge anyone with views that differ from your own weaknesses. Your selfishness is not acceptable, nor is your self righteousness.
    What kind of a man is a man who has not left this world a better place?

    No one is in control.

  6. #36
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    You are wrong. Children are aware of death and life. They know the difference. Visit a child's cancer ward and learn. Even the youngest know exactly what is at stake. And they are very much aware of the passage of time. Awareness of the passage of time is crucial to recognizing the value of life. You vastly underestimate children. They are inherently more perceptive than you think yourself to be.

    You support the continued victimization by children who are truly evil. This a tragedy.

    Of course, I am pro life. Every human being is pro life or they would be dead. Your stupid labels and assumptions don't apply. Children who commit capital crimes and the subsequent excision of them as a danger to society is not analogous to abortion rights. You think you support mercy with your idealism. Which is more merciful, a quick death or the lingering death of a lifetime incarcerated? Or perhaps, the release of a child criminal, after learning to be a better criminal, at adulthood, free to victimize others?

    I am not begging the question. I oppose abortion with exception for sparing the mother's life or removing a non-vital fetus. However, I recognize and distinguish the rights of a potential mother to make her own decisions, without hindrance from me, pursuant to the laws of the land. With exception for those who are judged insane by professionals, unconscious for any reason, issues far beyond my ability to judge. As in the recent case of a raped women believed to be in some sort of coma or semiconscious state, who had no options for bringing a pregnancy to term. Who are we to judge, had her responsible guardians, parents or not, demanded an abortion had they known of her pregnancy?

    Where do you get the god damn audacity to bring the right to vote into this equation, or judge what kind of person I am, from one conversation. You are the disgusting one here, with no respect for victims and potential future victims because of your delicate sensibilities. This is a cruel world we inhabit, and that does not offer you to judge anyone with views that differ from your own weaknesses. Your selfishness is not acceptable, nor is your self righteousness.
    What's not acceptable is your hideous, disgusting, and sinister embrace of putting children in jail for life.

    Of course you're pro life. You claim to be pro life. You're not. You're pro birth.

    My god damned audacity comes from the fact you claim to be pro life but want children charged as adults. You and your opinion disgust me. It ignores science - no big surprise there.

    Awareness of the passage of time comes with age. A 13 year old does not understand life imprisonment like a 26 year old does, and you insisting otherwise is what makes your opinion disgusting.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  7. #37
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    72,667

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    That does not mean they should be punished like adults.

    They can't buy cigarettes or alcohol or porn but they can be treated like adults in the eyes of the law?

    Heinous hypocrisy.
    Heinous hypocrisy from who?

  8. #38
    Professor Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,383

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Heinous hypocrisy from who?
    The law. You can't have it both ways. They're adults or they aren't adults.

    If you can charge them for crimes as adults, then let them work, buy porn and alcohol and cigarettes, like adults.
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. - Milton

    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

  9. #39
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    72,667

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    What's not acceptable is your hideous, disgusting, and sinister embrace of putting children in jail for life.

    Of course you're pro life. You claim to be pro life. You're not. You're pro birth.

    My god damned audacity comes from the fact you claim to be pro life but want children charged as adults. You and your opinion disgust me. It ignores science - no big surprise there.

    Awareness of the passage of time comes with age. A 13 year old does not understand life imprisonment like a 26 year old does, and you insisting otherwise is what makes your opinion disgusting.
    you don't think that a 13 year old knows that killing a baby is wrong, illegal and that there will be a consequence FAR stronger than if he stole a cookie? Do you actually ever talk to kids? They are far more aware than you seem to be willing to admit.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    72,667

    Re: Should teenage criminals be called “children”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The law. You can't have it both ways. They're adults or they aren't adults.

    If you can charge them for crimes as adults, then let them work, buy porn and alcohol and cigarettes, like adults.
    Smoking and raping a child are pretty drastic differences... Let kids smoke, I don't care... the stupid idiots that want to smoke at 13 already are... making it legal is not going to get non-smoking kids to buy them and kids already drink and I am in favor of letting 16 year-olds buy alcohol... they already get it anyway... many times from their parents.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •