Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 138

Thread: Strange case in Houston

  1. #111
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,758

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    that's a lot of time. If he had time to draw a weapon.. he had time to draw a taser or pepperspray or a baton.
    Mind read much? We only know what we see on the video, and hear on the audio.
    The time between when the Deputy thought this was a normal encounter, vs this could endanger my life,
    could have been a much shorter time window.

  2. #112
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,758

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Cover up also meaning officer gets away with it...
    That is not a coverup, The police did not claim Thomas was armed, when he was not.
    Thomas was given several very clear, very loud, orders to stop, and he continued to walk straight
    at the deputy yelling at him to stop, and pointing a gun at him.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65,726

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    That is not a coverup, The police did not claim Thomas was armed, when he was not.
    Thomas was given several very clear, very loud, orders to stop, and he continued to walk straight
    at the deputy yelling at him to stop, and pointing a gun at him.
    Is the cop still on the force?

    Yes? Cover up... getting away with it... whatever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #114
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,758

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is the cop still on the force?

    Yes? Cover up... getting away with it... whatever...
    He is still on the force, while the investigation is going on, but the Houston Police (Not the deputy's dept),
    has already said he shot Thomas in fear for his own safety.
    I still think Thomas wanted to die, and provoked police to shoot him.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,160

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Mind read much? We only know what we see on the video, and hear on the audio.
    The time between when the Deputy thought this was a normal encounter, vs this could endanger my life,
    could have been a much shorter time window.
    Let me think..One Mississippi Two Mississippi up to 10.

    Its a lot of time.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  6. #116
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,758

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Let me think..One Mississippi Two Mississippi up to 10.

    Its a lot of time.
    Again, the total encounter was between 9 and 10 seconds.
    Some of that time the deputy was issuing orders, and expecting them to be followed.
    The decision to use deadly force, was after telling Thomas to stop several times.

  7. #117
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,770
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I don’t like prejudging these things with such limited information but it does sound like the officer may have gone to the gun more quickly than was necessary. The suspect was clearly not thinking straight for some reason but if he wasn’t obviously armed and not an immediate threat (not least with his trousers down), it may have been possible to talk him down. That is easy to say from the comfort of my desk though.

    I don’t agree with your leaping to the “suicide by cop” conclusion. Based on what little we know, it seems more likely that he didn’t know what he was doing and had no conscious motives for his actions, including ignoring the officer’s commands.
    He didn't leap to a conclusion. He made an observation about what something looked like.

    I have police officers in my family and they tell us such situations are so difficult. You can't see what somebody has in their hand, they are not responding to commands, and you don't know what the situation is. So when the choice is to shoot or take your chances the guy is not attacking with something lethal, is not a suicide bomber, etc. etc. etc. it is usually a split second judgment call. These guys put their lives on the line every day for us, but they don't sign on to unnecessarily commit suicide themselves.

    This indeed may have been improper reaction by the police. And it may just be one of those unfortunate things when somebody deliberately forces the police to shoot. I think we have insufficient information to know in this case.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,160

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Again, the total encounter was between 9 and 10 seconds.
    Some of that time the deputy was issuing orders, and expecting them to be followed.
    The decision to use deadly force, was after telling Thomas to stop several times.
    you should listen to yourself.. Deputy had the time to draw his gun, order Thomas "several times".. and then shot him.

    Which means that he had time to draw non lethal methods, retreat to a tactically superior position, like putting a car between him and the suspect.

    Heck.. for all we know. the fellow was going to stop and talk to the policeman.


    Fact facts.. the policemen panicked and negligently overreacted to a scenario that was not life threatening.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    04-20-18 @ 06:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,160

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    He didn't leap to a conclusion. He made an observation about what something looked like.

    I have police officers in my family and they tell us such situations are so difficult. You can't see what somebody has in their hand, they are not responding to commands, and you don't know what the situation is. So when the choice is to shoot or take your chances the guy is not attacking with something lethal, is not a suicide bomber, etc. etc. etc. it is usually a split second judgment call. These guys put their lives on the line every day for us, but they don't sign on to unnecessarily commit suicide themselves.

    This indeed may have been improper reaction by the police. And it may just be one of those unfortunate things when somebody deliberately forces the police to shoot. I think we have insufficient information to know in this case.
    Yeah.. this cop was going to unnecessarily "commit suicide"..

    Come on... "suicide bombers?". Is that where we are now?

    I had to kill that deaf kid because he MIGHT have been a suicide bomber? This was not a "split second judgment"... he had quite a long time to assess the situation and frankly he could have used that time to give himself even more time to assess the situation.. by retreating and putting an object between him and the suspect.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  10. #120
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,758

    Re: Strange case in Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    you should listen to yourself.. Deputy had the time to draw his gun, order Thomas "several times".. and then shot him.

    Which means that he had time to draw non lethal methods, retreat to a tactically superior position, like putting a car between him and the suspect.

    Heck.. for all we know. the fellow was going to stop and talk to the policeman.


    Fact facts.. the policemen panicked and negligently overreacted to a scenario that was not life threatening.
    Actually we know very little about what was going through the deputy's mind in those 9 to 10 seconds.
    I agree that after the fact, lethal force may not have been necessary, but in the moment the deputy
    did not have access to our post action knowledge.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •