Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Cops beating people

  1. #51
    Guru
    ThoughtEx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,824

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    I was responding to a poster who said this:



    Context is important, the only "mixup" seems to be on your part in not following the timeline that led to my post.

    As for the rest of your post, how many hypothetical questions can you and your ilk put out there where what you claim to be happening isn't really happening on the scale you portray it to be happening on?

    I'm all about punishing dirty cops. The video above, even when show in it's entirety (not the edited version that was originally submitted) shows a cop using excessive force. The cop should be punished IMO. But as is the case with so many of these incidents, videos are edited or additional videos from a different angle, show a completely different picture than what what we were led to believe. Most cops are good people and good cops. But just as with any large section of individuals, there are going to be a few bad apples. Doesn't matter if they're cops, politicians, judges, doctors, lawyers or sanitation workers. I understand that cops have quite a bit of authority and that the dirty cops should be dealt with in the judicial system.
    If that's how you wanna spin it in your mind, last I checked "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" is a separate clause from "and I watch tv nearly every day". You're stating that you have never seen a cop beat anyone on tv. At any time. Period. And then add the second clause stating that you would know because you watch tv nearly every day. Now if you had wanted to counter that persons statement with the sentiment you claim you did, it would look more like. "I haven't seen the cops beating people on tv everyday and I watch tv nearly everyday". Notice I used the cops, instead of "a cop." Also notice instead of anyone, I use the plural "people". This makes the sentence more in line with what you're stating you intended. Regardless of the post you're responding to, and what context you feel is there that should be picked up on.

    I claimed the OP as a hypothetical situation, because he offered no video, news reports, or anything of substance as to the event actually happening. Which makes you and your ilk (see how I did to you what you did to me there) fall into an echo chamber of "fake news, didn't happen, so forth and so on".

    I didn't show you the video for any other reason than you stated you had never seen one on tv, I chose that one because it was shown on tv. I have no idea why they edited it. That's on the news station. If you had followed the progression of your posts in context, you would have known why I responded with that and in that way.

    And then I asked how many videos would you need to see for it to become a concern. Not how hypotheticals, but how many videos. You're mis-characterization of my question is telling, as is your spin when caught in a statement you later indicated was a lie with. "I saw this video earlier." Which doesn't jive with "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" Now instead of calling you a liar, I asked if you had a wording mix-up. You shouldn't have doubled down in my opinion. Now you have even less credibility in my eyes.

    I'm glad you're all for punishing dirty cops. This isn't about dirty cops. It's about the police, all police's attitude that "If you don't respect my authority, I won't respect you as a person." regardless of whether a crime is committed or not. You may be fine with that attitude in the police, but many, many people are not. And my and my ilk have just as much right to an opinion on how the police conduct themselves as you do.

    Btw, I asked the question how many videos it would take, because there are a lot of videos concerning the police. Almost none of them make it to the news. And there are a lot of videos showing the police doing everything right. But not as many, or close to as many...

    Which is telling in this day and age, when everything the police do is caught on camera and uploaded to youtube. You can surf around youtube and look for yourself, or continue believing there isn't a problem because it's not showing up on tv. "Ignorance is bliss" as they say.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!
    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,815
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    If that's how you wanna spin it in your mind, last I checked "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" is a separate clause from "and I watch tv nearly every day". You're stating that you have never seen a cop beat anyone on tv. At any time. Period. And then add the second clause stating that you would know because you watch tv nearly every day. Now if you had wanted to counter that persons statement with the sentiment you claim you did, it would look more like. "I haven't seen the cops beating people on tv everyday and I watch tv nearly everyday". Notice I used the cops, instead of "a cop." Also notice instead of anyone, I use the plural "people". This makes the sentence more in line with what you're stating you intended. Regardless of the post you're responding to, and what context you feel is there that should be picked up on.

    I claimed the OP as a hypothetical situation, because he offered no video, news reports, or anything of substance as to the event actually happening. Which makes you and your ilk (see how I did to you what you did to me there) fall into an echo chamber of "fake news, didn't happen, so forth and so on".

    I didn't show you the video for any other reason than you stated you had never seen one on tv, I chose that one because it was shown on tv. I have no idea why they edited it. That's on the news station. If you had followed the progression of your posts in context, you would have known why I responded with that and in that way.

    And then I asked how many videos would you need to see for it to become a concern. Not how hypotheticals, but how many videos. You're mis-characterization of my question is telling, as is your spin when caught in a statement you later indicated was a lie with. "I saw this video earlier." Which doesn't jive with "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" Now instead of calling you a liar, I asked if you had a wording mix-up. You shouldn't have doubled down in my opinion. Now you have even less credibility in my eyes.

    I'm glad you're all for punishing dirty cops. This isn't about dirty cops. It's about the police, all police's attitude that "If you don't respect my authority, I won't respect you as a person." regardless of whether a crime is committed or not. You may be fine with that attitude in the police, but many, many people are not. And my and my ilk have just as much right to an opinion on how the police conduct themselves as you do.

    Btw, I asked the question how many videos it would take, because there are a lot of videos concerning the police. Almost none of them make it to the news. And there are a lot of videos showing the police doing everything right. But not as many, or close to as many...

    Which is telling in this day and age, when everything the police do is caught on camera and uploaded to youtube. You can surf around youtube and look for yourself, or continue believing there isn't a problem because it's not showing up on tv. "Ignorance is bliss" as they say.
    Yawn... I just lost an IQ point or two reading that drivel that you just spilled out all over your keyboard. It's OK, I have plenty to lose. Does your head ever hurt from all that spinning you seem to do so often? I get it, cops are bad mmmkay...lol
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  3. #53
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    342

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    If that's how you wanna spin it in your mind, last I checked "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" is a separate clause from "and I watch tv nearly every day". You're stating that you have never seen a cop beat anyone on tv. At any time. Period. And then add the second clause stating that you would know because you watch tv nearly every day. Now if you had wanted to counter that persons statement with the sentiment you claim you did, it would look more like. "I haven't seen the cops beating people on tv everyday and I watch tv nearly everyday". Notice I used the cops, instead of "a cop." Also notice instead of anyone, I use the plural "people". This makes the sentence more in line with what you're stating you intended. Regardless of the post you're responding to, and what context you feel is there that should be picked up on.

    I claimed the OP as a hypothetical situation, because he offered no video, news reports, or anything of substance as to the event actually happening. Which makes you and your ilk (see how I did to you what you did to me there) fall into an echo chamber of "fake news, didn't happen, so forth and so on".

    I didn't show you the video for any other reason than you stated you had never seen one on tv, I chose that one because it was shown on tv. I have no idea why they edited it. That's on the news station. If you had followed the progression of your posts in context, you would have known why I responded with that and in that way.

    And then I asked how many videos would you need to see for it to become a concern. Not how hypotheticals, but how many videos. You're mis-characterization of my question is telling, as is your spin when caught in a statement you later indicated was a lie with. "I saw this video earlier." Which doesn't jive with "I haven't seen a cop beat anyone on tv" Now instead of calling you a liar, I asked if you had a wording mix-up. You shouldn't have doubled down in my opinion. Now you have even less credibility in my eyes.

    I'm glad you're all for punishing dirty cops. This isn't about dirty cops. It's about the police, all police's attitude that "If you don't respect my authority, I won't respect you as a person." regardless of whether a crime is committed or not. You may be fine with that attitude in the police, but many, many people are not. And my and my ilk have just as much right to an opinion on how the police conduct themselves as you do.

    Btw, I asked the question how many videos it would take, because there are a lot of videos concerning the police. Almost none of them make it to the news. And there are a lot of videos showing the police doing everything right. But not as many, or close to as many...

    Which is telling in this day and age, when everything the police do is caught on camera and uploaded to youtube. You can surf around youtube and look for yourself, or continue believing there isn't a problem because it's not showing up on tv. "Ignorance is bliss" as they say.
    So good.

    I find people have the most trouble with facts that is a techtonic shift with your values as a person.

    That's why I say the law must be changed so they go to jail for this.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

  4. #54
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,646

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    So good.

    I find people have the most trouble with facts that is a techtonic shift with your values as a person.

    That's why I say the law must be changed so they go to jail for this.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    Tectonic... just an FYI,.

  5. #55
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    52,680

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    I have no idea why the news report cut out the part with him putting his hands behind his back to avoid the officers grabbing at him. Nothing his hands did gave indication that he was about to attack them however, so the level of beatdown he got was completely unwarranted. Especially, since he did have permission to be there. They should have tased him, slapped the cuffs on him, and investigated who he was, and why he was there. Realized they had the wrong guy, and let him go.
    So they should have tased him you say. Because he was obviously aggressively resisting arrest. And if they had tased him, you and others would be posting "OHMIGAWD THE EEEEEEVIL COPS TASED HIM FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!"

    And why would you make that obviously bull**** statement "I have no idea why the news report cut out the part with him putting his hands behind his back to avoid the officers grabbing at him." Of course you know why they edited the video. The unedited version shows him aggressively confronting law enforcement and resisting arrest. And hell...THAT would just the cops at LEAST tasing him...if not giving him a pop or two.

  6. #56
    Guru
    ThoughtEx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,824

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    So they should have tased him you say. Because he was obviously aggressively resisting arrest. And if they had tased him, you and others would be posting "OHMIGAWD THE EEEEEEVIL COPS TASED HIM FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!"

    And why would you make that obviously bull**** statement "I have no idea why the news report cut out the part with him putting his hands behind his back to avoid the officers grabbing at him." Of course you know why they edited the video. The unedited version shows him aggressively confronting law enforcement and resisting arrest. And hell...THAT would just the cops at LEAST tasing him...if not giving him a pop or two.
    you got a crow problem? why you building all these straw men? Get back to me if ever have a response to the words I actually posted.

  7. #57
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,405

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    They can attack you because they're under stress?

    I'm going to love this Law and Order forum. Looks like I found the swamp that needs to be drained.

    I look forward to exposing those who don't give a crud about law, order, or humanity

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    Don't jump to any conclusions. You don't even have a case with this one.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #58
    Guru cuban smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Midwest USA ..... soon Florida .....
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,390

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    Two days before Harvey, while walking from the transit train to the 7/11 across the street in Miami, I witnessed a police officer with his baton held high over his head in a striking position, threaten an old homeless man. The cop wanted him to leave and the old man was yelling. I thought how can this be legal? I was so offended!

    Should laws be changed to more easily prosecute cops for beating people?

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

    it is my opinion that the greater majority of citizens don't care about the truth of police brutality. It seems that most citizens see police brutality as an 'acceptable' fact of our modern way of life. LE gets away with many things & never has to pay a price for it; murder being the worst but again, this is the reality of America.

    I say just let it roll off your back like water off a duck ...........
    it is nearly impossible to guide a minority toward truth when the majority continue to lie to themselves

  9. #59
    Professor


    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    No he didn't strike him. Was very threatening. It begs the question:

    Should the law be changed so that police don't beat you for any reason?


    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

    No need to change anything. If the police beat you for no reason there is a law against that currently on the books today.
    The guy was not beaten by your own omission. You do realize that police interact with people who may not want to comply
    with them. Right?


    And then there is this...... Police getting homeless off the streets so they will be safe during the hurricane!

    Miami homeless being removed against their will ahead of Hurricane Irma
    “I am not going to sign suicide notes for people who are homeless in my community,” said chairman of the Miami-Dade Homeless Trust


    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/08...urricane-irma/

    “We’re going out and every single homeless person who is unwilling to come off the street, we are likely going to involuntarily Baker Act them,” said Ron Book, chairman of the Miami-Dade Homeless Trust.

    Invoking the “Baker Act” — a law that enables authorities to institutionalize patients who present a danger to themselves or others — is not something law enforcement does lightly, but officers detained at least six people by Friday afternoon. Under the law, they can be held up to 72 hours before the state would have to go to court to prolong their detention.
    "I sadly feel a great many Americans will feel betrayed, that they were lied to, and that sentiment will not be unjustified. You cannot campaign against Obamacare and then vote for Obamacare," Republican Senator Ted Cruz said early Friday.

  10. #60
    Student Maccabee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Florida.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    274

    Re: Cops beating people

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Sands View Post
    What if it were you? You see cops on the news every f**"in day beating people. What he did before I arrived was he was homeless and old. What if that were your grand- father? You think that's funny? Sorry we're not Nazi Germany. You think they should be able to beat people Carte Blanch?

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    If it was my grandfather, I would stop and analyze the situation.
    Scripture, facts, science, and stats is how I argue.

    When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •