Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

  1. #1
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,716

    Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Brazilian culture secretary Roberto Alvim was fired from the government Friday after he appeared to quote Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels in a video setting out his agenda for a conservative “rebirth” of the arts.
    Brazil'''s Culture Secretary Fired After Quoting Goebbels | Time



    Brazil has gone more to the right in recent years, without question.

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-s View Post
    Brazilian culture secretary Roberto Alvim was fired from the government Friday after he appeared to quote Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels in a video setting out his agenda for a conservative “rebirth” of the arts.
    Brazil'''s Culture Secretary Fired After Quoting Goebbels | Time



    Brazil has gone more to the right in recent years, without question.
    Translated into reality:

    The Brazilian culture minister did not quote Goebbels, but made comments that were vaguely similar, at least in a certain translation. Because the left holds hegemonic institutional power, this was sufficient for him to lose his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtemisBarca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmNat View Post
    Right. And because you're a liberal, it's incomprehensible to you why anyone would have a problem with mandatory acceptance of politically convenient lies.
    Exactly!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter View Post
    It would be a miracle if black people didn't riot.

  3. #3
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by AmNat View Post
    Translated into reality:

    The Brazilian culture minister did not quote Goebbels, but made comments that were vaguely similar, at least in a certain translation. Because the left holds hegemonic institutional power, this was sufficient for him to lose his job.
    I take it you are a 'conservative', you know the kind who will defend a neo-Nazi to the death and attempt to tell people what they see with their own eyes is fake. Lordy!

  4. #4
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    65,931

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-s View Post
    I take it you are a 'conservative', you know the kind who will defend a neo-Nazi to the death and attempt to tell people what they see with their own eyes is fake. Lordy!
    Making a lot of ASSumptions there.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  5. #5
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Making a lot of ASSumptions there.
    I did not assume that Brazil is going more conservative/nationalist because it is a fact. This type of government led to the Final Solution in the last century one of whose chief proponents was Joseph Goebbels. The speech delivered by the dismissed Brazilian Culture minister is almost verbatim that of the Nazi Propaganda Minister. Not one assumption, never mind 'a lot'. Need I remind you that the root of the word Nazi is nationalist?

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    65,931

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-s View Post
    I did not assume that Brazil is going more conservative/nationalist because it is a fact. This type of government led to the Final Solution in the last century one of whose chief proponents was Joseph Goebbels. The speech delivered by the dismissed Brazilian Culture minister is almost verbatim that of the Nazi Propaganda Minister. Not one assumption, never mind 'a lot'. Need I remind you that the root of the word Nazi is nationalist?
    You made a lot of ASSumptions about another poster....

    And I watched the video.... A few phrases match between the quotes and you go berzerk.

    There have been literally hundreds of examples of like phrases used in political speaches that have nothing to do with each other...

    Like Bush's new world order statement.

    Hitler and Himmler literally spoke hundreds of thousands of words. Screaming that someone "copied" a few is ludicrous.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  7. #7
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    You made a lot of ASSumptions about another poster....

    And I watched the video.... A few phrases match between the quotes and you go berzerk.

    There have been literally hundreds of examples of like phrases used in political speaches that have nothing to do with each other...

    Like Bush's new world order statement.

    Hitler and Himmler literally spoke hundreds of thousands of words. Screaming that someone "copied" a few is ludicrous.
    I stopped replying to you on another topic for using personal insults so I will not bother here either for the same reason.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    65,931

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-s View Post
    I stopped replying to you on another topic for using personal insults so I will not bother here either for the same reason.
    You accused another poster of supporting Neo Nazis yet you whine about someone pointing out the foolishness of that accusation.

    Incredible.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,090

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    nazis feel empowered now, and will have to be forced back under their rocks.

  10. #10
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Shades of Third Reich in Brazil

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    nazis feel empowered now, and will have to be forced back under their rocks.
    There is a lot of truth in what you say. Democracy is more fragile than we like to think and evil never sleeps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •