View Poll Results: Do you believe that U.S intervention in the Middle East, Asia and Europe is Oil motivated?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 55.00%
  • No

    6 30.00%
  • Maybe

    3 15.00%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: It was all about Oil

  1. #1
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    03-29-20 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    It was all about Oil

    It's always about oil, gas. Why do some people think that the United States invaded Iraq to topple a regime that is described as a dictator even though during the 1980s, it was supplying that regime with weapons and ammunition? Weapons of mass destruction are only a pretext because it was supplied by Western countries such as the United States and Britain, and Iraq didn't have the technology to produce them. It is naive to think that the United States resembles the big heart cowboy who helps the inhabitants of isolated towns get rid of the bad guys because they don't know how to use weapons, and he demands no money.

    Countries like the United States and Britain are known to have supported dictatorships such as Augusto Pinochet in Chile and Argentina's military regime. Before that, the United States supported all coup attempts in Latin America. It started with the 1954 coup in Guatemala because President Jacob Arbenz had nationalized part of the United Fruit Company's unused land. Propaganda against Guatemala, which focused on being a state ruled by a communist president, was carried out by the famous propaganda tycoon Edward Bernays. But what the United States did there would not be surprised when everyone recognizes the names of the United Fruit Company owners. All the crimes committed by the military regimes in Latin America were not enough to provoke humanity and human rights sentiment with successive US administrations.

    Oil is the primary reason behind every conflict from Europe to Latin America and the Middle East. Even in Asia, in Burma, a country important to China as a potential transit area for oil pipelines. The conflict over the South China Sea fueled by US interventions in Asian affairs has to do with oil. The US worried about the growth of Chinese military power and the economy is seeking to block it off from its energy sources. A new Cold War in Asia with China not the Soviet Union as the peer and, of course, the United States, a country addicted to wars and proxy intervention in other countries' affairs. The conflict in Ukraine over the region known Dneiper-Donets is only another chapter of the world's oil wars. The region bordering Russia is floating on an enormous oil reserve estimated at billions of barrels of oil in an unconventional area for oil deposits. In Syria, Western countries such as the United States, Britain, France and Arab allies have financed terrorist organizations such as Al Qaeda and ISIS to topple a regime they describe as bloody and dictatorial. But these organizations, bragging about their crimes and publishing videos in which Syrian civilians are beheaded, is nothing but a tool in Western countries to use in proxy wars that have been linked in one way or another to oil.

    To conclude the thread by talking about Iraq as it began, there is a number of facts confirming American intentions to invade Iraq, which is floating on the second oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. First, Halliburton, whose former director, Dick Cheney, US Vice President George W. Bush, published a report in October 2002 on the control of oil fields and refining facilities after the invasion and occupation of Iraq. The American occupation forces took control of the Iraqi Oil Ministry even before its military deployment in Baghdad was completed. Second, in the weeks following the invasion, the US deputy defense secretary admitted that oil was the cause, not the fight against terrorism. Third, the United States has tried hard to find even weak evidence linking the Iraqi regime to fundamentalist Islamist organizations such as al-Qaeda but failed. Finally, no weapons of mass destruction have been discovered in Iraq and turned out to be fabricated and false reports by Iraqi opposition and citizens who wished their refugee applications accepted in Western countries by fabricating fictitious stories of chemical and biological weapons in mobile trucks roaming the various regions of Iraq for camouflage.

    All these wars, which killed hundreds of thousands of dead, wounded and missing, massive destruction of infrastructure, and economic collapse have only one reason: the US desire to control the sources of energy and its transmission lines for geopolitical goals within the framework of the new Cold War and its conflict with Russia. And China.

    End

  2. #2
    Sage
    HumblePi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    20,293

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by stan1990 View Post
    It's always about oil, gas. Why do some people think that the United States invaded Iraq to topple a regime that is described as a dictator even though during the 1980s, it was supplying that regime with weapons and ammunition? Weapons of mass destruction are only a pretext because it was supplied by Western countries such as the United States and Britain, and Iraq didn't have the technology to produce them. It is naive to think that the United States resembles the big heart cowboy who helps the inhabitants of isolated towns get rid of the bad guys because they don't know how to use weapons, and he demands no money.

    Countries like the United States and Britain are known to have supported dictatorships such as Augusto Pinochet in Chile and Argentina's military regime. Before that, the United States supported all coup attempts in Latin America. It started with the 1954 coup in Guatemala because President Jacob Arbenz had nationalized part of the United Fruit Company's unused land. Propaganda against Guatemala, which focused on being a state ruled by a communist president, was carried out by the famous propaganda tycoon Edward Bernays. But what the United States did there would not be surprised when everyone recognizes the names of the United Fruit Company owners. All the crimes committed by the military regimes in Latin America were not enough to provoke humanity and human rights sentiment with successive US administrations.

    Oil is the primary reason behind every conflict from Europe to Latin America and the Middle East. Even in Asia, in Burma, a country important to China as a potential transit area for oil pipelines. The conflict over the South China Sea fueled by US interventions in Asian affairs has to do with oil. The US worried about the growth of Chinese military power and the economy is seeking to block it off from its energy sources. A new Cold War in Asia with China not the Soviet Union as the peer and, of course, the United States, a country addicted to wars and proxy intervention in other countries' affairs. The conflict in Ukraine over the region known Dneiper-Donets is only another chapter of the world's oil wars. The region bordering Russia is floating on an enormous oil reserve estimated at billions of barrels of oil in an unconventional area for oil deposits. In Syria, Western countries such as the United States, Britain, France and Arab allies have financed terrorist organizations such as Al Qaeda and ISIS to topple a regime they describe as bloody and dictatorial. But these organizations, bragging about their crimes and publishing videos in which Syrian civilians are beheaded, is nothing but a tool in Western countries to use in proxy wars that have been linked in one way or another to oil.

    To conclude the thread by talking about Iraq as it began, there is a number of facts confirming American intentions to invade Iraq, which is floating on the second oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. First, Halliburton, whose former director, Dick Cheney, US Vice President George W. Bush, published a report in October 2002 on the control of oil fields and refining facilities after the invasion and occupation of Iraq. The American occupation forces took control of the Iraqi Oil Ministry even before its military deployment in Baghdad was completed. Second, in the weeks following the invasion, the US deputy defense secretary admitted that oil was the cause, not the fight against terrorism. Third, the United States has tried hard to find even weak evidence linking the Iraqi regime to fundamentalist Islamist organizations such as al-Qaeda but failed. Finally, no weapons of mass destruction have been discovered in Iraq and turned out to be fabricated and false reports by Iraqi opposition and citizens who wished their refugee applications accepted in Western countries by fabricating fictitious stories of chemical and biological weapons in mobile trucks roaming the various regions of Iraq for camouflage.

    All these wars, which killed hundreds of thousands of dead, wounded and missing, massive destruction of infrastructure, and economic collapse have only one reason: the US desire to control the sources of energy and its transmission lines for geopolitical goals within the framework of the new Cold War and its conflict with Russia. And China.

    End
    I've been saying it from the very beginning, it's always about the oil.









  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Last Seen
    10-22-19 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Just one question... where is the oil? The middle east has never been a primary source of oil. Today, the middle east is not a primary source of oil (we get most of our oil from South America and Canada, though these days we have our own oil)... so, what is the issue? We don't get much oil at all from the middle east (we get some because oil is traded as a commodity throughout the world)... what is the actual argument here?

  4. #4
    Sage

    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,581

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by aserwin View Post
    Just one question... where is the oil? The middle east has never been a primary source of oil. Today, the middle east is not a primary source of oil (we get most of our oil from South America and Canada, though these days we have our own oil)... so, what is the issue? We don't get much oil at all from the middle east (we get some because oil is traded as a commodity throughout the world)... what is the actual argument here?
    "Control the oil, control the world."
    DEMOCRAT 2020

  5. #5
    Moral clarity is needed
    Felis Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,387

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by stan1990 View Post
    It's always about oil, gas. Why do some people think that the United States invaded Iraq to topple a regime that is described as a dictator even though during the 1980s, it was supplying that regime with weapons and ammunition? Weapons of mass destruction are only a pretext because it was supplied by Western countries such as the United States and Britain, and Iraq didn't have the technology to produce them. It is naive to think that the United States resembles the big heart cowboy who helps the inhabitants of isolated towns get rid of the bad guys because they don't know how to use weapons, and he demands no money.

    Countries like the United States and Britain are known to have supported dictatorships such as Augusto Pinochet in Chile and Argentina's military regime. Before that, the United States supported all coup attempts in Latin America. It started with the 1954 coup in Guatemala because President Jacob Arbenz had nationalized part of the United Fruit Company's unused land. Propaganda against Guatemala, which focused on being a state ruled by a communist president, was carried out by the famous propaganda tycoon Edward Bernays. But what the United States did there would not be surprised when everyone recognizes the names of the United Fruit Company owners. All the crimes committed by the military regimes in Latin America were not enough to provoke humanity and human rights sentiment with successive US administrations.

    Oil is the primary reason behind every conflict from Europe to Latin America and the Middle East. Even in Asia, in Burma, a country important to China as a potential transit area for oil pipelines. The conflict over the South China Sea fueled by US interventions in Asian affairs has to do with oil. The US worried about the growth of Chinese military power and the economy is seeking to block it off from its energy sources. A new Cold War in Asia with China not the Soviet Union as the peer and, of course, the United States, a country addicted to wars and proxy intervention in other countries' affairs. The conflict in Ukraine over the region known Dneiper-Donets is only another chapter of the world's oil wars. The region bordering Russia is floating on an enormous oil reserve estimated at billions of barrels of oil in an unconventional area for oil deposits. In Syria, Western countries such as the United States, Britain, France and Arab allies have financed terrorist organizations such as Al Qaeda and ISIS to topple a regime they describe as bloody and dictatorial. But these organizations, bragging about their crimes and publishing videos in which Syrian civilians are beheaded, is nothing but a tool in Western countries to use in proxy wars that have been linked in one way or another to oil.
    Cite your sources for that claim, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by stan1990 View Post
    To conclude the thread by talking about Iraq as it began, there is a number of facts confirming American intentions to invade Iraq, which is floating on the second oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. First, Halliburton, whose former director, Dick Cheney, US Vice President George W. Bush, published a report in October 2002 on the control of oil fields and refining facilities after the invasion and occupation of Iraq. The American occupation forces took control of the Iraqi Oil Ministry even before its military deployment in Baghdad was completed. Second, in the weeks following the invasion, the US deputy defense secretary admitted that oil was the cause, not the fight against terrorism. Third, the United States has tried hard to find even weak evidence linking the Iraqi regime to fundamentalist Islamist organizations such as al-Qaeda but failed. Finally, no weapons of mass destruction have been discovered in Iraq and turned out to be fabricated and false reports by Iraqi opposition and citizens who wished their refugee applications accepted in Western countries by fabricating fictitious stories of chemical and biological weapons in mobile trucks roaming the various regions of Iraq for camouflage.
    Question: If the United States government was and remains so monstrously corrupt, cynical and ruthless, as you claim, why would they not have fabricated reports of finding Weapons of Mass Destruction and perhaps have planted evidence of such weaponry being found in order to maintain an airtight casus belli? I mean, might as well go all the way, right? Wouldn't that have been the FIRST thing that a bunch of evil war profiteers with half a brain have thought to do?
    Last edited by Felis Leo; 10-22-19 at 01:46 AM.
    It’s in the small things that the rot starts. Do the wrong thing once, it’s easier to do it again. Do the individualistic thing once, it is easy to do it again.

    Fiat justitia, et pereat mundus

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,567

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by stan1990 View Post
    It's always about oil, gas. Why do some people think that the United States invaded Iraq to topple a regime that is described as a dictator even though during the 1980s, it was supplying that regime with weapons and ammunition? Weapons of mass destruction are only a pretext because it was supplied by Western countries such as the United States and Britain, and Iraq didn't have the technology to produce them. It is naive to think that the United States resembles the big heart cowboy who helps the inhabitants of isolated towns get rid of the bad guys because they don't know how to use weapons, and he demands no money...

    ...All these wars, which killed hundreds of thousands of dead, wounded and missing, massive destruction of infrastructure, and economic collapse have only one reason: the US desire to control the sources of energy and its transmission lines for geopolitical goals within the framework of the new Cold War and its conflict with Russia. And China.

    End
    The US has a long legacy of promoting national control of strategic resources and championing its corporations, economic and geopolitical interests, regardless of the cost to the countries its interventions result in, or their liberty, with democracies proving as disposable in pursuit of these interests as dictatorships. In fact, friendly dictatorships were often preferred to the messiness and unpredictability of democratic governments. This was doubly true during the Cold War; Kissinger was perhaps the most notorious promulgator of such realpolitik foreign policy which, in the long run, more often than not featured disastrous or averse unintended consequences for the States and others involved.

    Foreign interventions by the United States - Wikipedia

    In Iraq specifcally, I don't find that it was solely about oil, but it was overwhelmingly about advantaging perceived American interests, oil control of which was a major one, and its core motive was most certainly not to 'liberate' the Iraqi people, or eliminate any kind of real existential threat.
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 10-22-19 at 02:53 AM.
    "The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." -Alberto Brandolini

  7. #7
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    29,911

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by stan1990 View Post
    It's always about oil, gas. Why do some people think that the United States invaded Iraq to topple a regime that is described as a dictator even though during the 1980s, it was supplying that regime with weapons and ammunition? Weapons of mass destruction are only a pretext because it was supplied by Western countries such as the United States and Britain, and Iraq didn't have the technology to produce them. It is naive to think that the United States resembles the big heart cowboy who helps the inhabitants of isolated towns get rid of the bad guys because they don't know how to use weapons, and he demands no money.

    Countries like the United States and Britain are known to have supported dictatorships such as Augusto Pinochet in Chile and Argentina's military regime. Before that, the United States supported all coup attempts in Latin America. It started with the 1954 coup in Guatemala because President Jacob Arbenz had nationalized part of the United Fruit Company's unused land. Propaganda against Guatemala, which focused on being a state ruled by a communist president, was carried out by the famous propaganda tycoon Edward Bernays. But what the United States did there would not be surprised when everyone recognizes the names of the United Fruit Company owners. All the crimes committed by the military regimes in Latin America were not enough to provoke humanity and human rights sentiment with successive US administrations.

    Oil is the primary reason behind every conflict from Europe to Latin America and the Middle East. Even in Asia, in Burma, a country important to China as a potential transit area for oil pipelines. The conflict over the South China Sea fueled by US interventions in Asian affairs has to do with oil. The US worried about the growth of Chinese military power and the economy is seeking to block it off from its energy sources. A new Cold War in Asia with China not the Soviet Union as the peer and, of course, the United States, a country addicted to wars and proxy intervention in other countries' affairs. The conflict in Ukraine over the region known Dneiper-Donets is only another chapter of the world's oil wars. The region bordering Russia is floating on an enormous oil reserve estimated at billions of barrels of oil in an unconventional area for oil deposits. In Syria, Western countries such as the United States, Britain, France and Arab allies have financed terrorist organizations such as Al Qaeda and ISIS to topple a regime they describe as bloody and dictatorial. But these organizations, bragging about their crimes and publishing videos in which Syrian civilians are beheaded, is nothing but a tool in Western countries to use in proxy wars that have been linked in one way or another to oil.

    To conclude the thread by talking about Iraq as it began, there is a number of facts confirming American intentions to invade Iraq, which is floating on the second oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. First, Halliburton, whose former director, Dick Cheney, US Vice President George W. Bush, published a report in October 2002 on the control of oil fields and refining facilities after the invasion and occupation of Iraq. The American occupation forces took control of the Iraqi Oil Ministry even before its military deployment in Baghdad was completed. Second, in the weeks following the invasion, the US deputy defense secretary admitted that oil was the cause, not the fight against terrorism. Third, the United States has tried hard to find even weak evidence linking the Iraqi regime to fundamentalist Islamist organizations such as al-Qaeda but failed. Finally, no weapons of mass destruction have been discovered in Iraq and turned out to be fabricated and false reports by Iraqi opposition and citizens who wished their refugee applications accepted in Western countries by fabricating fictitious stories of chemical and biological weapons in mobile trucks roaming the various regions of Iraq for camouflage.

    All these wars, which killed hundreds of thousands of dead, wounded and missing, massive destruction of infrastructure, and economic collapse have only one reason: the US desire to control the sources of energy and its transmission lines for geopolitical goals within the framework of the new Cold War and its conflict with Russia. And China.

    End
    Strange then that the bipartisan declaration of war on Iraq in 2002 did not list oil among the 12 reasons given for the invasion.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,692

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    I've been saying it from the very beginning, it's always about the oil.
    Oil has much to do with the U.S policy in the Middle East. However it is much more complex than just oil. Arms sales to to ME are in the billions, and help to prop up the military industrial complex since the end of the end of the Cold War. In addition the U.S support of everything Israel has done the U.S no favors with the rest of the Middle East. You throw in the War on Terrorism and it is a complex question, with many moving parts, oil being one of those. Our reliance on ME oil has decreased as the U.S pumps more of its own so I do not believe it is the driving factor as it once was.
    And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the p**sy. You can do anything." –Donald Trump

  9. #9
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    03-29-20 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
    I've been saying it from the very beginning, it's always about the oil.
    Exactly, you are right

  10. #10
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    03-29-20 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: It was all about Oil

    Quote Originally Posted by aserwin View Post
    Just one question... where is the oil? The middle east has never been a primary source of oil. Today, the middle east is not a primary source of oil (we get most of our oil from South America and Canada, though these days we have our own oil)... so, what is the issue? We don't get much oil at all from the middle east (we get some because oil is traded as a commodity throughout the world)... what is the actual argument here?
    You should redirect this question to your government or your congressman, not me.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •