Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,833

    White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    White House officials have tried to pressure U.S. immigration authorities to release detainees onto the streets of “sanctuary cities” to retaliate against President Trump’s political adversaries, according to Department of Homeland Security officials and email messages reviewed by The Washington Post.

    Trump administration officials have proposed transporting detained immigrants to sanctuary cities at least twice in the past six months — once in November, as a migrant caravan approached the U.S. southern border, and again in February, amid a standoff with Democrats over funding for Trump’s border wall.

    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s district in San Francisco was among those the White House wanted to target, according to DHS officials. The administration also considered releasing detainees in other Democratic strongholds.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...olitics&wpmm=1

    Just the other day I wondered out loud why Trump doesn't do something like that.
    I still don't know why not.

    I got a kick out of this from the piece ...

    Pelosi’s office blasted the plan.
    “The extent of this administration’s cynicism and cruelty cannot be overstated,” said Pelosi spokeswoman Ashley Etienne. “Using human beings — including little children — as pawns in their warped game to perpetuate fear and demonize immigrants is despicable.”

    San Fran is already a sanctuary city and is already a mess so why would would there be fear and demonization to send illegals there?
    Is it a NIMBY thing?

    Maybe it will be part of the new "tougher" approach.
    The article says something about questionable legality and expense and liability issues but doesn't go into detail.
    Aren't they already released in different parts of the country?

    IF EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT THEN NOTHING IS

  2. #2
    Advisor $1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Eastern US
    Last Seen
    05-16-19 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    341

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    I always see reactions like this as very telling. They want the immigrants in someone else's neighborhoods (specifically, in the traditionally working poor areas where they can usually afford to live). That way they stress other people's infrastructure, go to other people's schools, drive up other people's property taxes through subsidies and expensive ESL programs. They'll hire them as maids and landscapers, or use them as dirt cheap labor in their meat plants and restaurant chains, but that's only with the assurance that their children don't end up going to the same Blue Ribbon Schools as their own. Affluent people living in suburban or rural areas fight new development tooth and nail for this reason; they can barely tolerate the 'undesirables' who have lived in the area for generations; if whole waves of working class people moved into the school district (let alone *gasp* BROWN working class people) these wealthy assholes would have to uproot and buy a McMansion in a different school district. They exist on both side of the aisle; Chamber of Commerce Rebublicans and neoliberal Dems, all of them hypocrites who get frantic when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is.

    "This is very much about H U M A N E M P O W E R M E N T"
    - Andrew Yang -

  3. #3
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    911

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Trump does not have to do this directly. He can tell his people in the field, to confidentially; wink, tell the illegal immigrants, that the laws are about to change. This will make it very hard for them. Their best advice (look around and make sure nobody sees) is for them to find a sanctuary city, ASAP. They can offer them maps to the best places to go. They cannot help them, directly. The Illegals will then migrate on their own, overwhelming these cities.

    Trump can then threaten to veto any Democrat attempt, to get the federal government, to pay the extra tab. He can point out, how the Democrats and the sanctuary cities are full of compassionate and rich people. They can increase local taxes, which Democrat always favor. This will cause these cities to revoke sanctuary city status, leading to a power shift in local governments.

  4. #4
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,427

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    WOW, so the only way republicans are willing to accept immigrants into American society is if they can get them to wreak havoc in American cities.

    Republicans truly are the scum of the earth.
    Last edited by Utility Man; 04-12-19 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I like Trump. I like that he says whats on his mind. I like that he doesn't huddle with handlers and wordsmiths before he opens his mouth. But he would make a horrible president.......

  5. #5
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,518

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Just the other day I wondered out loud why Trump doesn't do something like that.
    I still don't know why not.
    Well, it's an incredibly moronic policy, so yes, I don't know why it didn't happen either.

    Oh, wait, it didn't happen because it was almost certainly illegal. Even DHS, run by the sycophantic Nielsen, couldn't come up with a legal justification for the policy.

    Oh, wait, Trump and Miller don't care about the law. We're back to not knowing why it didn't happen.

    By the way, anyone who thinks that sanctuary cities and sanctuary states don't have high numbers of immigrants is, to put it politely, not paying attention. Spend half a day wandering through the Mission District in San Francisco, or wander around Flushing, and make that kind of claim.


    San Fran is already a sanctuary city and is already a mess so why would would there be fear and demonization to send illegals there?
    Is it a NIMBY thing?
    No, she was objecting to using children as a political weapon, and vilifying families for daring to cross a border to escape violence and crime.
    "Everyone should listen to me all the time about everything." - Rosa Diaz

    "When the mistakes fall disproportionately on one side, it is no respect for the notion of truth to pretend that everything is even." - Lee McIntyre

  6. #6
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,518

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by $1000 View Post
    I always see reactions like this as very telling. They want the immigrants in someone else's neighborhoods (specifically, in the traditionally working poor areas where they can usually afford to live).
    Yes, it's not like there are any undocumented immigrants or asylum seekers in California or San Francisco.
    "Everyone should listen to me all the time about everything." - Rosa Diaz

    "When the mistakes fall disproportionately on one side, it is no respect for the notion of truth to pretend that everything is even." - Lee McIntyre

  7. #7
    Advisor $1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Eastern US
    Last Seen
    05-16-19 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    341

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Yes, it's not like there are any undocumented immigrants or asylum seekers in California or San Francisco.
    There are, but they don't live in the same neighborhoods as affluent people because they are priced out of them. If they start to encroach, the affluent people leave in pursuit of 'good schools'.

    "This is very much about H U M A N E M P O W E R M E N T"
    - Andrew Yang -

  8. #8
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,242

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    White House officials have tried to pressure U.S. immigration authorities to release detainees onto the streets of “sanctuary cities” to retaliate against President Trump’s political adversaries, according to Department of Homeland Security officials and email messages reviewed by The Washington Post.

    Trump administration officials have proposed transporting detained immigrants to sanctuary cities at least twice in the past six months — once in November, as a migrant caravan approached the U.S. southern border, and again in February, amid a standoff with Democrats over funding for Trump’s border wall.

    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s district in San Francisco was among those the White House wanted to target, according to DHS officials. The administration also considered releasing detainees in other Democratic strongholds.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...olitics&wpmm=1

    Just the other day I wondered out loud why Trump doesn't do something like that.
    I still don't know why not.

    I got a kick out of this from the piece ...

    Pelosi’s office blasted the plan.
    “The extent of this administration’s cynicism and cruelty cannot be overstated,” said Pelosi spokeswoman Ashley Etienne. “Using human beings — including little children — as pawns in their warped game to perpetuate fear and demonize immigrants is despicable.”

    San Fran is already a sanctuary city and is already a mess so why would would there be fear and demonization to send illegals there?
    Is it a NIMBY thing?

    Maybe it will be part of the new "tougher" approach.
    The article says something about questionable legality and expense and liability issues but doesn't go into detail.
    Aren't they already released in different parts of the country?
    I think it's a great idea. But alas, it was shot down over legal issues and bad PR with the illegals that vote.

    I think after 2020, assuming Trump wins, we are going to be raiding the snot out of companies that hire illegals until the democrats cooperate on an immigration plan.
    We killed God, family, and community. Now it’s killing us.
    When I sound crazy, it’s because I think you are.
    America belongs to the rest of the world. Your job is to pay for it.
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,518

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by $1000 View Post
    There are, but they don't live in the same neighborhoods as affluent people because they are priced out of them. If they start to encroach, the affluent people leave in pursuit of 'good schools'.
    Try again.

    • In many cities, poor areas and/or subsidized housing are right next to affluent neighborhoods.

    • I'm pretty sure the tentative plan wasn't to dump asylum seekers in Pacific Heights. That wouldn't work anyway.

    • It is not 1965, and "white flight" is over. Poor people are not chasing away wealthy people. Wealthy people are buying into poor neighborhoods, gentrifying them, and sometimes making the neighborhoods unaffordable for the previous residents.
    "Everyone should listen to me all the time about everything." - Rosa Diaz

    "When the mistakes fall disproportionately on one side, it is no respect for the notion of truth to pretend that everything is even." - Lee McIntyre

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,833

    Re: White House proposed releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities, targeting political foes

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Well, it's an incredibly moronic policy, so yes, I don't know why it didn't happen either.

    Oh, wait, it didn't happen because it was almost certainly illegal. Even DHS, run by the sycophantic Nielsen, couldn't come up with a legal justification for the policy.

    Oh, wait, Trump and Miller don't care about the law. We're back to not knowing why it didn't happen.

    By the way, anyone who thinks that sanctuary cities and sanctuary states don't have high numbers of immigrants is, to put it politely, not paying attention. Spend half a day wandering through the Mission District in San Francisco, or wander around Flushing, and make that kind of claim.



    No, she was objecting to using children as a political weapon, and vilifying families for daring to cross a border to escape violence and crime.
    What is illegal about releasing them into sanctuary cities since they already get released across the country? Might as well send them to where they'd be welcome.

    So Pelosi's spokesperson was using children as an excuse.

    IF EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT THEN NOTHING IS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •