Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74

Thread: Mein Kampf Study

  1. #21
    Shameless Canuck
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    08-02-20 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,186
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah, I see your point. He actually only dictated it; Rudolph Hess transcribed it. I found that tidbit very interesting: I'd always imagined Hitler with scads of note paper, scribbling away with a pencil, but he definitely knew what he was doing. I researched his historical points on Austria etc and it's all true. What astounds me about his writing is how well educated he sounds. He knew what he doing when he wrote it and it sold MILLIONS.
    I think people were a lot more articulate (or, perhaps, verbose) back then...if you want evidence, look at The Wind Through The Willows, and reflect on the fact that it was a children's book. Vocabulary has changed over the years.

    I found the following as an interesting historical summary of how the book came to be.

    How 'Mein Kampf' Changed the World | Live Science
    Life's too short...

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That "dip ****" is the President of the United States, YOUR President, live with it

  2. #22
    Privileged

    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    125,056

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    What I had hoped would come of this is a more informed discussion of just what you are looking for; I mean that's the ultimate purpose for reading the book and learning about what makes that kind of thing tick right?
    I know exactly what we are looking for. That is why I see it and have been pointing it out for three and a half years.

    DUH!
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In Canada, the total.number.keeps going up.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,724

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    I have an old copy of Mein kampf as well. Interestingly mine was printed against Hitlers wishes. It was notables such as Theodore Roosevelt and Albert Einstein supporting its translation and publication because they wanted the world to know just how dangerous he was.
    having said that I have tried to read it at leas 3 times and never get past the first chapter because the writing is so bad and rambling.

    Perhaps Ill try it again
    On a similar note I have some old books by Rudyard Kipling that have a swastika on the spine, of course they are referencing the original use of the symbol not the more widely known bastardization by Nazis
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  4. #24
    Sage

    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26,571

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    I think people were a lot more articulate (or, perhaps, verbose) back then...if you want evidence, look at The Wind Through The Willows, and reflect on the fact that it was a children's book. Vocabulary has changed over the years.

    I found the following as an interesting historical summary of how the book came to be.

    How 'Mein Kampf' Changed the World | Live Science

    “Wind In the Willows”

    My mom read me this as a child. I remember it well and tried to read it myself, a few years ago. I was different than I remember. “Toads Wild Ride” was one of my favorite parts as a child.

    On a similar note, I ran across a book by a compatriot of Nathan Bedford Forrest, titled, “That Devil Forrest,” iirc. It was written around the turn of the 19th century and the prose was impossible to follow, a century on. The style of writing definitely changes over time.
    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. - George Carlin
    I know, everybody funny, now you funny too. -George Thorogood

  5. #25
    Privileged

    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    125,056

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    I have an old copy of Mein kampf as well. Interestingly mine was printed against Hitlers wishes. It was notables such as Theodore Roosevelt and Albert Einstein supporting its translation and publication because they wanted the world to know just how dangerous he was.
    having said that I have tried to read it at leas 3 times and never get past the first chapter because the writing is so bad and rambling.

    Perhaps Ill try it again
    On a similar note I have some old books by Rudyard Kipling that have a swastika on the spine, of course they are referencing the original use of the symbol not the more widely known bastardization by Nazis
    Yes, rambling is the first sign. We have one of those now.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In Canada, the total.number.keeps going up.

  6. #26
    Shameless Canuck
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    08-02-20 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,186
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That's why we read it to find out. It IS the real Hitler...
    And yet, it's also a powerful tool of propaganda and and a muse for authors of human tragedy and human suffering. It's also an important historical reference. I get why some folks want it banned, while others want it preserved and taught. It posses power that few other books, outside of religious texts, ever achieve, with pretty devastating results. To be honest, I'm conflicted as to whether I personally believe it should be banned or taught, and I'm not big on censorship at all.
    Life's too short...

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    That "dip ****" is the President of the United States, YOUR President, live with it

  7. #27
    Professor Jean-s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,398

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Thanks. This isn't a right vs wrong, or what should or should not have happened thing. So by reading part one, what is it that YOU'D like to discuss? what about his thinking? admittedly it's pretty much background, but it's a real window. So whatever grabs you about part one is it... What grabs me about it all is how well spoken and rational it all sounds.
    You are asking us to give our thoughts on Part 1 which presupposes we have a copy of our own. This is a tall order. On the other hand, you might just want us to comment on your three-paragraph summary which is altogether different, assuming such a summary is possible and that you did a good job.

    I found Mein Kampf unreadable as a teenager and I'm told that even German-speakers find it impossible to get through because it is a disorganized mess of political and social nonsense that was doing the rounds at the time. It contributed nothing to philosophical or political knowledge and, contrary to your opinion, it does not strike the reader as coming from the mind of an educated person. In reality, Adolf Hitler is not known for his writing but as an orator. For the Nazis, a stirring speech was far superior to books. They were good at burning books and had Mein Kampf been tossed on the bonfires nobody would have missed it.

  8. #28
    Guru
    stevecanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Canada / Australia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,029

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I know exactly what we are looking for. That is why I see it and have been pointing it out for three and a half years.

    DUH!
    You are being unnecessarily rude, and even a little hostile. Do you not know where the door is?
    MeSoNe - "disbelievers (non-Muslims) do live, in a sense, like animals. But that isn't an insult, it is a fact".

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Finite and Precious

    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,706
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Thanks. This isn't a right vs wrong, or what should or should not have happened thing. So by reading part one, what is it that YOU'D like to discuss? what about his thinking? admittedly it's pretty much background, but it's a real window. So whatever grabs you about part one is it... What grabs me about it all is how well spoken and rational it all sounds.
    What I gleamed most from Mein Kampf when I read it was how utterly amazed I was by the stark difference in Hitler's oratory skills versus his writing ability. I didn't think it was possible to be so good at one thing and suck so bad at another.
    Our eagle once proud
    Soon bald and croaking
    Our chants once loud
    Will quiet down. Hearts broken

  10. #30
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,724

    Re: Mein Kampf Study

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Yes, rambling is the first sign. We have one of those now.
    I seriously doubt the person you are referring to could actually write a book.Getting one ghostwritten doesn't count
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •