Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

  1. #1
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,149

    Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    When I first became interested in learning about history, world war 2 was the topic that sparked my interest. One of the assumptions that I had for the longest time was that in the aftermath of the Japanese surprise attack on the United States navy’s pacific fleet stationed at Pearl Harbor, Any opposition to the United States declaring war on japan would have evaporated.

    Sure there have been times when the United States entered a conflict on controversial grounds and that provided reasons for people to oppose the war, notable examples include the Vietnam war and the second Iraq war. Opposing the United States entry into world war 2? I didn’t believe that any one would do such a thing....

    That was before I learned about Congresswoman Jeannette Rankin, and she has recently become one of the most fascinating people to learn about.

    Jeannette Rankin is historically significant in multiple ways: she was a prominent women’s rights advocate and she is the first woman to ever hold federal office in the United States. She was elected to the United States House of Representatives on two occasions, serving as a Republican representing the state of Montana, first being elected in 1916, then winning a second term in 1940. She is also at the present moment the only female congressional representative elected to represent Montana.

    Jeannette Rankin - Wikipedia

    While I could continue to list Rankin’s accomplishments, I want to focus on one of her most prominent moments: being the sole Congressional Representative to vote against the u.s declaration of war against Japan. Her decision was controversial from the moment she cast her vote: several of her congressional colleagues tried to convince her to change her vote or at least abstain from the vote, but Rankin refused. This vote effectively any chance of continuing her political career and chose not to run for re-election in 1942.

    So why did Jeannette Rankin vote against u.s entry into world war 2? Because she refused to go against her principles. Jeannette Rankin was a devout Pacifist: she voted against u.s. entry into both world wars, decisions that were controversial at the time but she stood by her decisions.

    Jeannette Rankin is a inspirational figure to me because she chose to stick to her pacifist principles by voting against the declaration of war against Japan, even though the act not only destroyed her political career but also made her a pariah to many people at the time.

    So what do you think of Jeannette’s vote against the United States’s entry into world war 2? Do you find her dedication to her principles admirable? Or do you disagree with her choice?

    Discuss
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,864

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    When I first became interested in learning about history, world war 2 was the topic that sparked my interest. One of the assumptions that I had for the longest time was that in the aftermath of the Japanese surprise attack on the United States navy’s pacific fleet stationed at Pearl Harbor, Any opposition to the United States declaring war on japan would have evaporated.

    Sure there have been times when the United States entered a conflict on controversial grounds and that provided reasons for people to oppose the war, notable examples include the Vietnam war and the second Iraq war. Opposing the United States entry into world war 2? I didn’t believe that any one would do such a thing....

    That was before I learned about Congresswoman Jeannette Rankin, and she has recently become one of the most fascinating people to learn about.

    Jeannette Rankin is historically significant in multiple ways: she was a prominent women’s rights advocate and she is the first woman to ever hold federal office in the United States. She was elected to the United States House of Representatives on two occasions, serving as a Republican representing the state of Montana, first being elected in 1916, then winning a second term in 1940. She is also at the present moment the only female congressional representative elected to represent Montana.

    Jeannette Rankin - Wikipedia

    While I could continue to list Rankin’s accomplishments, I want to focus on one of her most prominent moments: being the sole Congressional Representative to vote against the u.s declaration of war against Japan. Her decision was controversial from the moment she cast her vote: several of her congressional colleagues tried to convince her to change her vote or at least abstain from the vote, but Rankin refused. This vote effectively any chance of continuing her political career and chose not to run for re-election in 1942.

    So why did Jeannette Rankin vote against u.s entry into world war 2? Because she refused to go against her principles. Jeannette Rankin was a devout Pacifist: she voted against u.s. entry into both world wars, decisions that were controversial at the time but she stood by her decisions.

    Jeannette Rankin is a inspirational figure to me because she chose to stick to her pacifist principles by voting against the declaration of war against Japan, even though the act not only destroyed her political career but also made her a pariah to many people at the time.

    So what do you think of Jeannette’s vote against the United States’s entry into world war 2? Do you find her dedication to her principles admirable? Or do you disagree with her choice?

    Discuss
    I would like to see history “gamed out” into the future assuming a loss of Europe to Germany, and a win over Japan, and how uninterrupted progress in Germany of the atom bomb would gave changed the equation. (Sold bombs to pre defeat Japan?).

    Then there is the wild card of Russia...
    Antifa’s job is to do the democrats dirty work.
    Who is going to stop the left from killing the nation?
    America belongs to the rest of the world. Your job is to pay for it.
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,477

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    So what do you think of Jeannette’s vote against the United States’s entry into world war 2? Do you find her dedication to her principles admirable? Or do you disagree with her choice?

    Discuss
    I don't know much about her, however, if her views is to be an absolute pacifist to the point of NEVER supporting any war for any reason than she should have resigned since she couldn't perform one of the duties that congress can perform.

    If she was just against these two wars and not an absolute pacifist (no war for any reason) and felt she was representing her constituents than maybe some would praise her but I wouldn't. Japan's attack on an actual American territory needed a response of war IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  4. #4
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,005

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    When I first became interested in learning about history, world war 2 was the topic that sparked my interest. One of the assumptions that I had for the longest time was that in the aftermath of the Japanese surprise attack on the United States navy’s pacific fleet stationed at Pearl Harbor, Any opposition to the United States declaring war on japan would have evaporated.

    Sure there have been times when the United States entered a conflict on controversial grounds and that provided reasons for people to oppose the war, notable examples include the Vietnam war and the second Iraq war. Opposing the United States entry into world war 2? I didn’t believe that any one would do such a thing....

    That was before I learned about Congresswoman Jeannette Rankin, and she has recently become one of the most fascinating people to learn about.

    Jeannette Rankin is historically significant in multiple ways: she was a prominent women’s rights advocate and she is the first woman to ever hold federal office in the United States. She was elected to the United States House of Representatives on two occasions, serving as a Republican representing the state of Montana, first being elected in 1916, then winning a second term in 1940. She is also at the present moment the only female congressional representative elected to represent Montana.

    Jeannette Rankin - Wikipedia

    While I could continue to list Rankin’s accomplishments, I want to focus on one of her most prominent moments: being the sole Congressional Representative to vote against the u.s declaration of war against Japan. Her decision was controversial from the moment she cast her vote: several of her congressional colleagues tried to convince her to change her vote or at least abstain from the vote, but Rankin refused. This vote effectively any chance of continuing her political career and chose not to run for re-election in 1942.

    So why did Jeannette Rankin vote against u.s entry into world war 2? Because she refused to go against her principles. Jeannette Rankin was a devout Pacifist: she voted against u.s. entry into both world wars, decisions that were controversial at the time but she stood by her decisions.

    Jeannette Rankin is a inspirational figure to me because she chose to stick to her pacifist principles by voting against the declaration of war against Japan, even though the act not only destroyed her political career but also made her a pariah to many people at the time.

    So what do you think of Jeannette’s vote against the United States’s entry into world war 2? Do you find her dedication to her principles admirable? Or do you disagree with her choice?

    Discuss
    Sticking by moronic principles doesn’t make you admirable just a moron.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,149

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas View Post
    I don't know much about her, however, if her views is to be an absolute pacifist to the point of NEVER supporting any war for any reason than she should have resigned since she couldn't perform one of the duties that congress can perform.

    If she was just against these two wars and not an absolute pacifist (no war for any reason) and felt she was representing her constituents than maybe some would praise her but I wouldn't. Japan's attack on an actual American territory needed a response of war IMO.
    She was against all wars. She believed war was morally wrong.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #6
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lebanon Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    701

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    When I first became interested in learning about history, world war 2 was the topic that sparked my interest. One of the assumptions that I had for the longest time was that in the aftermath of the Japanese surprise attack on the United States navy’s pacific fleet stationed at Pearl Harbor, Any opposition to the United States declaring war on japan would have evaporated.

    Sure there have been times when the United States entered a conflict on controversial grounds and that provided reasons for people to oppose the war, notable examples include the Vietnam war and the second Iraq war. Opposing the United States entry into world war 2? I didn’t believe that any one would do such a thing....

    That was before I learned about Congresswoman Jeannette Rankin, and she has recently become one of the most fascinating people to learn about.

    Jeannette Rankin is historically significant in multiple ways: she was a prominent women’s rights advocate and she is the first woman to ever hold federal office in the United States. She was elected to the United States House of Representatives on two occasions, serving as a Republican representing the state of Montana, first being elected in 1916, then winning a second term in 1940. She is also at the present moment the only female congressional representative elected to represent Montana.

    Jeannette Rankin - Wikipedia

    While I could continue to list Rankin’s accomplishments, I want to focus on one of her most prominent moments: being the sole Congressional Representative to vote against the u.s declaration of war against Japan. Her decision was controversial from the moment she cast her vote: several of her congressional colleagues tried to convince her to change her vote or at least abstain from the vote, but Rankin refused. This vote effectively any chance of continuing her political career and chose not to run for re-election in 1942.

    So why did Jeannette Rankin vote against u.s entry into world war 2? Because she refused to go against her principles. Jeannette Rankin was a devout Pacifist: she voted against u.s. entry into both world wars, decisions that were controversial at the time but she stood by her decisions.

    Jeannette Rankin is a inspirational figure to me because she chose to stick to her pacifist principles by voting against the declaration of war against Japan, even though the act not only destroyed her political career but also made her a pariah to many people at the time.

    So what do you think of Jeannette’s vote against the United States’s entry into world war 2? Do you find her dedication to her principles admirable? Or do you disagree with her choice?

    Discuss
    I definitely think the vote is 'admirable' and I would have happily returned her to Congress, but mostly because there was only one of them. The legislature is the absolute best place to put people who do not conform to political or social norms, who think outside the box. We can best use the gadflies, the Don Quixotes of politics by putting them in a body that dilutes their power but magnifies their message. That particular Congress did not need unanimity in that vote, but it did need near unanimity in that vote so that the world was left with a resounding statement of American resolve. Because Rankin was in Congress, that body and the public were ensured that one lone voice of pacifism was still available and heard. Whether she was a communist, a fascist, a devout conspiracist, or just an eccentric, she was bravely standing up against political conformity and saying something nobody else was. We need a lot more of them in Congress today.
    Last edited by btthegreat; 07-11-19 at 12:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,477

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    She was against all wars. She believed war was morally wrong.
    If that is indeed the case, then I think she should have resigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  8. #8
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,149

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Sticking by moronic principles doesn’t make you admirable just a moron.
    Principles define the character of a individual. There are times when people can choose to bend their principles to suit particular needs, interests, and situations.

    But there is a limit to one’s ability to bend their principles without breaking.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #9
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    It was pretty stupid thing for her to too, but at least she has her principles, for whatever that's worth in this case.
    “We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”

    ― Ernst Toller

  10. #10
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Jeannette Rankin: the sole vote against the United States entry into world war 2

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    I would like to see history “gamed out” into the future assuming a loss of Europe to Germany,
    It collapses a few years down the line. The Nazis were bad at economics.
    “We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”

    ― Ernst Toller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •