Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Healthcare is a misnomer

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    05-20-20 @ 07:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,872

    Re: Healthcare is a misnomer

    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    No, they will still be developed, but they will only be able to charge what people can pay, just like any other market.
    No.. they would not be developed.

    Just like in any other market. I won't develop a product that people are unable to pay enough for me to make a profit.


    Why would I develop a product in a free market economy that would cost more to make and service..than people can afford? Please explain your logic...

  2. #12
    Guru
    aociswundumho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,867

    Re: Healthcare is a misnomer

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    No.. they would not be developed.

    Just like in any other market. I won't develop a product that people are unable to pay enough for me to make a profit.


    Why would I develop a product in a free market economy that would cost more to make and service..than people can afford? Please explain your logic...
    Consider cataract surgery. There's a hospital chain in India that uses a variable pricing model with an assembly line approach which does 250,000 eye surgeries per year:

    At a time when a staggering 13 million Indians (pdf) were blind, Venkataswamy saw an opportunity to supplement the government’s efforts to increase the availability of eye-care services, and potentially eradicate preventable blindness in Tamil Nadu.

    “The only capital they had was their personal assets,” Soumitra Pandey, partner and Mumbai office head at The Bridgespan Group, a Boston-based non-profit, told Quartz. Despite the limited resources, their vision for eliminating what they called “needless blindness” was always grand, Pandey added.

    Today, what started out as a single space with 11 beds is now a network of 11 hospitals in Tamil Nadu, which have helped cut the state’s rate of cataract blindness by half, according to a recent case study by The Bridgespan Group.

    Every year, Aravind performs around 250,000 cataract surgeries, most of them for free or what the hospital chain refers to as “zero price,” in an attempt to treat every patient as a customer, regardless of their ability to pay. This variable pricing model, along with several cost-cutting innovations, has helped create a sustainable business that provides world class eye-care services at a fraction of the cost charged by hospitals in the west, the case study says.

    With an assembly line approach, an Indian hospital chain performs 250,000 eye surgeries a year — Quartz India
    That's what capitalism can do if it's allowed to work. The mistake that progressives and conservatives in America make is thinking that it's normal for healthcare providers to ass-rape sick and dying people. It isn't.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    05-20-20 @ 07:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,872

    Re: Healthcare is a misnomer

    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    Consider cataract surgery. There's a hospital chain in India that uses a variable pricing model with an assembly line approach which does 250,000 eye surgeries per year:



    That's what capitalism can do if it's allowed to work. The mistake that progressives and conservatives in America make is thinking that it's normal for healthcare providers to ass-rape sick and dying people. It isn't.
    yes that's nice.. So.. how much did that doctor spend to develop his cataract surgery? Oh wait.. it was a well established surgery with very little overhead.. that has already gone through a ton of expensive innovation that only now be provided cheaply (because all that research, development and training was subsidized by all those folks that paid and continue to pay for it).

    Again.. why would I develop a product that is going to cost me more to produce and provide.. than people are going to pay me for???

    Why would I do it at a tremendous LOSS?.

  4. #14
    Guru
    aociswundumho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,867

    Re: Healthcare is a misnomer

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Oh wait.. it was a well established surgery with very little overhead.. that has already gone through a ton of expensive innovation that only now be provided cheaply (because all that research, development and training was subsidized by all those folks that paid and continue to pay for it).
    It's not cheap in the US - but it could be.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Again.. why would I develop a product that is going to cost me more to produce and provide.. than people are going to pay me for??? Why would I do it at a tremendous LOSS?.
    I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here. Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean other people wouldn't. Things get invented and developed no matter what. History is filled with brilliant inventors who died broke, e.g. Tesla, Charles Goodyear, etc.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    05-20-20 @ 07:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,872

    Re: Healthcare is a misnomer

    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    It's not cheap in the US - but it could be.
    .
    Probably.. but in all likelihood the cataract surgery probably subsidizes a whole host of other procedures that are not as profitable or that actually lose money.

    '
    m not sure of the point you're trying to make here. Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean other people wouldn't. Things get invented and developed no matter what.
    Its simple.. again.. why would anyone.. keep producing a product.. that cost more to produce and service.. than people were able to pay for?

    Right now.. the holy grail of surgeries for neurosurgeons is a functional lumbar disc replacement surgery. So lets say a team develops the surgical device, surgical technique for the surgery.

    They spend 2 million dollars for development, and the cost per surgery is 300 thousand between the cost for the device, the training, the xtra surgeon (because you need a vascular surgeon to do the anterior approach) the added liability, anaesthesia. hospital stay.. and so on.

    So it costs 300 thousand dollars for one surgery.

    The average person can only afford say 20,000.

    Why would ANYONE decide to provide this surgery when every time they do the surgery they have to pay 280,000 out of their own pocket?

    Please explain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •