Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser goes

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    35,868

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Hmm... why would someone elect to forego the benefits of the vastly superior UHC system in the UK in order to use the allegedly substandard private care offered in the US?
    I don't know maybe the US hospital has the most experience with this particular and exceedingly rare operation. What I do know is that 1.4 million Americans sought treatment abroad in 2017. Our high costs are a big reason for that.

    Patients who travel to another country to seek health care are referred to as medical tourists. The term arose because many Americans seek less expensive elective surgical, dental, or cosmetic procedures while vacationing abroad.1 Of course, US hospitals and physicians have also long cared for medical tourists from other countries. Now, many medical tourists are going the other way—from the United States to other countries to receive health care. In 2007, it is estimated that 750,000 Americans traveled to other countries for health care.1 In 2017, more than 1.4 million Americans sought health care in a variety of countries around the world.2
    The reason more Americans have become medical tourists is simply that they are seeking less expensive health care. Because we have the most expensive health care system in the world, it is not difficult to find countries that offer various procedures at 30%-65% of the cost of care in the United States.2 Other countries can charge less because of lower pay to physicians and other health care workers, much less overhead because patients pay cash, and subtraction of the substantial cost of malpractice insurance.3
    https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002...620-X/fulltext
    Last edited by iguanaman; 12-26-19 at 02:06 AM.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  2. #12
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,840

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    THAT, is your own prejudiced and bias speaking.
    What I am saying is true, so stop before calling me prejudice

    Sick Migrants Undergoing Lifesaving Care Can Now Be Deported - The New York Times

  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    01-03-20 @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    48,288
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    What I am saying is true, so stop before calling me prejudice

    Sick Migrants Undergoing Lifesaving Care Can Now Be Deported - The New York Times
    Nope. Because it has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with legal status. Apples. Oranges the two scenarios but because you aren't approaching the issue objectively, you are applying your bias and prejudice to claim a conclusion.
    Socialism: "Why work hard when you can have Government give it to you for free!" -Bernie 2020

  4. #14
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,840

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Nope. Because it has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with legal status. Apples. Oranges the two scenarios but because you aren't approaching the issue objectively, you are applying your bias and prejudice to claim a conclusion.
    I didn’t bring up skin color. I brought up national origin, and you are wrong to assume it’s an issue of being here illegally. The main girl in the article has been here legally for medical since early 2000s, but she faces losing the visa. It’s happening directly because of Trump’s immigration policies. I know it’s not a simple issue of skin color. I think we all know the real reason behind Trump and his supporters and these immigration policies. Some of it has to do with prejudice, no doubt, but really, I think most Trump supporters are prejudiced towards these people for other reasons than their skin color

  5. #15
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    01-03-20 @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    48,288
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I didn’t bring up skin color. I brought up national origin, and you are wrong to assume it’s an issue of being here illegally. The main girl in the article has been here legally for medical since early 2000s, but she faces losing the visa. It’s happening directly because of Trump’s immigration policies. I know it’s not a simple issue of skin color. I think we all know the real reason behind Trump and his supporters and these immigration policies. Some of it has to do with prejudice, no doubt, but really, I think most Trump supporters are prejudiced towards these people for other reasons than their skin color
    Yeah... enforcing immigration laws is so terrible... again the two scenarios are not the same. One family raised money for an immediate need medical care situation... the other are people past thier visas... yet you found a away to match them.. your logic is like someone saying... "the local animal shelter hates cats!" When asked "why do you say that?" And you reply "Mrs. Jones said she heard they put down that rabid dog last week."
    Socialism: "Why work hard when you can have Government give it to you for free!" -Bernie 2020

  6. #16
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,840

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Yeah... enforcing immigration laws is so terrible... again the two scenarios are not the same. One family raised money for an immediate need medical care situation... the other are people past thier visas... yet you found a away to match them.. your logic is like someone saying... "the local animal shelter hates cats!" When asked "why do you say that?" And you reply "Mrs. Jones said she heard they put down that rabid dog last week."
    You’re being ridiculous. And secondly, Trump changed immigration laws, scaled back visas for all purposes, and implemented a ban. Many of the people being threatened by the changes, were here legally getting life saving medical treatment already. Nothing you say acknowledges those facts. The kid in your article can come to America, because of his national origin. You have proven in this thread that you don’t seem to place so much care or concern for children being denied the same medical care, because they weren’t born in England or Norway.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    01-03-20 @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    48,288
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    You’re being ridiculous. And secondly, Trump changed immigration laws, scaled back visas for all purposes, and implemented a ban. Many of the people being threatened by the changes, were here legally getting life saving medical treatment already. Nothing you say acknowledges those facts. The kid in your article can come to America, because of his national origin. You have proven in this thread that you don’t seem to place so much care or concern for children being denied the same medical care, because they weren’t born in England or Norway.
    Orange man bad, unless it's from a white country, we get it, you hate Trump and think America is now an evil racist country.
    Socialism: "Why work hard when you can have Government give it to you for free!" -Bernie 2020

  8. #18
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,840

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Orange man bad, unless it's from a white country, we get it, you hate Trump and think America is now an evil racist country.
    Yeah well I donít support your trans agenda...

  9. #19
    Educator Blue Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,045

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Americai is not racist. Trump is. But I want this thread to stay on topic and it is not about racial prejudice at all. It is about saving a kid's life.

    The only reason for anyone to criticize the decision to let someone from Europe get a life-saving surgery in America, regardless of national origin, is a lack of sympathy. If you think American doctors should not be allowed to save other people's lives, you have no concern at all for those who can't get the medical care they need in their homelands. Did you ever think about the fact that very rare heart problems can only be treated by a few doctors in the whole world?
    Democratic voter for life

  10. #20
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,873

    Re: Baby born with rare heart tumor to undergo life-saving surgery in US after parents' fundraiser g

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Hmm... why would someone elect to forego the benefits of the vastly superior UHC system in the UK in order to use the allegedly substandard private care offered in the US?
    Because people felt sorry for them and gave them $150,000 ?

    Do you decide what's a "vastly superior" healthcare system based on who can do 1 complex surgery or based on percentage of population who can afford such complex surgery?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •