Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,954

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    There is not a drug, a chemical, or a product on the US market that is immune from smart greedy lawyers who know how to manipulate juries to find guilt where no guilt lies in order to procure million or billion dollar settlements for themselves and their participants. If Perdue declares bankruptcy, however, the states, individuals and others hoping to glean billions of dollars in settlements from them for supposedly being evil for supplying successful prescription drugs to the public will be disappointed.

    Unfair, frivolous, and inaccurate lawsuits can bring companies down, can hinder research and development, can discourage progress and innovation, and make people less safe and healthy, but the promise of huge windfalls from crafty litigation drives the legal profession to new heights of irresponsible selfishness.
    Source?

  2. #12
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,733

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    If this is as you say, Perdue just has to hire better lawyers. The thing about truth is that it will come through. If he is defending the truth, a lawyer should be able to cut through the bull**** and obfuscation of the other side and make that clear to an impartial jury. Are you now going to tell me that the jury is stupid or corrupt or somehow in on all this?
    Yes, I'm saying juries can be easily misled to do the wrong thing by immoral lawyers just out to extort big money from deep pockets for their own narcissistic reasons.

  3. #13
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,733

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Source?
    Perhaps a look at this will help:

    https://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedoml...ion_crisis.htm

    AMERICA'S LITIGATION CRISIS

    ...16.5 million lawsuits in a typical year...
    Some 60,000 jobs have been lost due just to bankruptcies caused by asbestos litigation, which ripple through state and local economies. For every 10 jobs directly lost due to these bankruptcies, another eight are lost in local economies.

    ...A big part of the solution is to put fair and reasonable limits on punitive damage awards. Many of these awards are excessive and out of control. In 2002, the top 10 jury awards alone totaled more than $32.7 billion.

    ...We also have to recognize that trial lawyers have spent millions to stack the deck in favor of abusive lawsuits -- $470 million alone on federal campaigns since 1990.


    I agree with the conclusion expressed by this author. "We will not end this litigation crisis until we recognize it exists.
    Last edited by marke; 09-09-19 at 10:24 AM.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Yes, I'm saying juries can be easily misled to do the wrong thing by immoral lawyers just out to extort big money from deep pockets for their own narcissistic reasons.
    Perdue is a large and wealthy company. If they can't find a lawyer smart and capable enough to successfully defend them, maybe it's because they're guilty. It's guilt that must be proved, not innocence.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,088

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Hasn't Roundup been proven to be carcinogenic? If it's manufacturers knew about it and concealed its dangers, they should be liable.
    Current consensus is that it is not carcinogenic and the only cases brought thusfar involve ignoring the instructions on the product label. Which brings us to intended use. Should a company be held liable for the consequences of misuse of their product? Especially when it is not the party responsible for writing the prescriptions?

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,954

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Perhaps a look at this will help:

    https://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedoml...ion_crisis.htm

    AMERICA'S LITIGATION CRISIS

    ...16.5 million lawsuits in a typical year...
    Some 60,000 jobs have been lost due just to bankruptcies caused by asbestos litigation, which ripple through state and local economies. For every 10 jobs directly lost due to these bankruptcies, another eight are lost in local economies.

    ...A big part of the solution is to put fair and reasonable limits on punitive damage awards. Many of these awards are excessive and out of control. In 2002, the top 10 jury awards alone totaled more than $32.7 billion.

    ...We also have to recognize that trial lawyers have spent millions to stack the deck in favor of abusive lawsuits -- $470 million alone on federal campaigns since 1990.


    I agree with the conclusion expressed by this author. "We will not end this litigation crisis until we recognize it exists.
    Email: Opioid talks fail, Purdue bankruptcy filing expected - ABC News

    or

    Perdue sued for claiming its chickens raised 'humanely' - Baltimore Sun
    Last edited by jonny5; 09-09-19 at 11:05 AM.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    Current consensus is that it is not carcinogenic and the only cases brought thusfar involve ignoring the instructions on the product label. Which brings us to intended use. Should a company be held liable for the consequences of misuse of their product? Especially when it is not the party responsible for writing the prescriptions?
    Of course not. If that's true, I doubt the case will go anywhere.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,088

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Of course not. If that's true, I doubt the case will go anywhere.
    I would expect it to because, unfortunately, the standard of proof in civil courts is far lower than in criminal courts.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,625

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I would expect it to because, unfortunately, the standard of proof in civil courts is far lower than in criminal courts.
    Good point. We'll just have to see. My daughter's brother in law is an eye surgeon. He was sued a couple years ago by a patient who ignored his instructions on her post surgical care. The case was dropped before going to court.

  10. #20
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,733

    Re: Perdue to declare bankruptcy

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Perdue is a large and wealthy company. If they can't find a lawyer smart and capable enough to successfully defend them, maybe it's because they're guilty. It's guilt that must be proved, not innocence.
    Dummies think corporations are rich and greedy. That is a common ignorant assumption and the incessant spread of such ignorance does great damage to society as a whole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •