Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by manofknowledge View Post
    The fact is that people are leaving rural areas in droves. These hospitals simply don't have the patients they once had.
    Nope...

    Sure there are some areas where rural areas are losing people... but who are they losing? Younger healthy people that are going elsewhere to find work . In general.. this is not the population that needs healthcare. Which. Leaving the aging population that is more Medicaid and medicare based.

    the truth is.. often the actual DEMAND for healthcare in rural areas is expanding.. because of an aging population. while the ability to pay for it is declining because of reductions in reimbursement from Medicaid and medicare.. and also the loss of a few but higher paying private insurance clients.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  2. #22
    Educator manofknowledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-23-19 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    717

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Nope...

    Sure there are some areas where rural areas are losing people... but who are they losing? Younger healthy people that are going elsewhere to find work . In general.. this is not the population that needs healthcare. Which. Leaving the aging population that is more Medicaid and medicare based.

    the truth is.. often the actual DEMAND for healthcare in rural areas is expanding.. because of an aging population. while the ability to pay for it is declining because of reductions in reimbursement from Medicaid and medicare.. and also the loss of a few but higher paying private insurance clients.
    Your point is valid, it's just oversimplified. Yes Medicare and Medicaid provides less revenue than private plans, but it provides more than an empty bed which is what these hospitals are dealing with.

    Nearly a quarter of rural hospitals are on the brink of closure

  3. #23
    Sage
    Bucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,661
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickyjo View Post
    Is anyone suggesting VA for everyone?
    Isn't that what essentially Bernie Sanders/Warren/New York Mayor promoting?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by manofknowledge View Post
    Your point is valid, it's just oversimplified. Yes Medicare and Medicaid provides less revenue than private plans, but it provides more than an empty bed which is what these hospitals are dealing with.

    Nearly a quarter of rural hospitals are on the brink of closure
    Sure.. but you have to understand why the empty beds.. part of that is the changes that medicare and Medicaid have done that have reduced reimbursement. A decade ago.. a total knee operation for an medicare patient.. meant three days in the hospital, possibly a snf or swingbed stay in that same hospital and then discharge to home or continued snf.

    With the changes in reimbursement.. that same total knee is being discharged to home in some cases.. THAT day.. and almost certainly the next day.

    Of course there is less need for beds then. And hospitals are punished for admitting these patients and punished for holding onto them.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Isn't that what essentially Bernie Sanders/Warren/New York Mayor promoting?
    Not really in Bernies case.. because the VA system isn't just insurance.. it also owns a good portion of its medical staff, etc.in other words the providers in the VA system work for the government. .. the VA would be more like the UK system.

    Bernie Sanders idea builds upon the medicare system. (oh the problems here are huge)… but I did not see evidence that medical providers will be federal employees
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,275

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Isn't that what essentially Bernie Sanders/Warren/New York Mayor promoting?
    Thought it was Medicare for all, not making all doctors government employees.

  7. #27
    Educator manofknowledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-23-19 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    717

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Sure.. but you have to understand why the empty beds.. part of that is the changes that medicare and Medicaid have done that have reduced reimbursement. A decade ago.. a total knee operation for an medicare patient.. meant three days in the hospital, possibly a snf or swingbed stay in that same hospital and then discharge to home or continued snf.

    With the changes in reimbursement.. that same total knee is being discharged to home in some cases.. THAT day.. and almost certainly the next day.

    Of course there is less need for beds then. And hospitals are punished for admitting these patients and punished for holding onto them.
    Still over simplified. Hospital stays are reduced because of improved surgical techniques. Small hospitals still have to maintain surgical operating theaters. Modern ones are extremely expensive. ER, radiology and intensive care units are also extremely expensive. Hospital techology is changing. The capital investment required to stay in business requires more revenue than available at a rural hospital even if they have all private insurance patients.

  8. #28
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    1,228

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by manofknowledge View Post
    Still over simplified. Hospital stays are reduced because of improved surgical techniques. Small hospitals still have to maintain surgical operating theaters. Modern ones are extremely expensive. ER, radiology and intensive care units are also extremely expensive. Hospital techology is changing. The capital investment required to stay in business requires more revenue than available at a rural hospital even if they have all private insurance patients.
    Rural hospitals have been closing for.decades. medicare or medicare for all has nothing to do with it. People are traveling to better equipped and staffed city hospitals for procedures and bypassing their local hospital. If you had a choice i believe you would travel for what you and your loved one felt was better care.

  9. #29
    Verifier
    Gladiator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your Back Yard
    Last Seen
    09-12-19 @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,189

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by manofknowledge View Post
    Your link is just speculation. No Medicare For All law exists.

    Hospitals close due to lack of patients, not because of Medicare or Medicaid. Hospitals in larger metropolitan areas tend to make good profits. It's the rural hospitals that are struggling because they typically handle fewer patients.

    The reason the hospital in the rural areas are closing is because that is too high a percentage of Medicare and Medicaid patients, and the law that hospitas must teat anyone who shows up inneed of treatment.


    Most of the democratic presidential candidates look like a bunch of idiots to me. They propose Medicare for all, but they offer to plan t keep the hospitals open,


    Where is the tax plan to keep the hospitals open with Medicare for all?


    Are private supplemental insurance plans allowed?


    Bernie Sanders talks in generalities, and stirs up nonsense.

    ///
    _______________________________
    How did Our Oil get under Their Sand?

  10. #30
    Verifier
    Gladiator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your Back Yard
    Last Seen
    09-12-19 @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,189

    Re: Reason why government run health care in the U.S would be bad

    Quote Originally Posted by manofknowledge View Post
    Your point is valid, it's just oversimplified. Yes Medicare and Medicaid provides less revenue than private plans, but it provides more than an empty bed which is what these hospitals are dealing with.

    Nearly a quarter of rural hospitals are on the brink of closure
    empty beds is one part of the problem, but Low paying patients are also a big part of the problem.


    read more>


    As rural populations decline, inpatient admissions fall, more beds sit vacant, and the number of people covered by government-sponsored plans rises, these communities are left to grapple with the ramifications of losing a hospital, said Dr. Daniel DeBehnke, a Navigant managing director, co-author of the report and former CEO of the Omaha-based Nebraska Medicine system"


    Nearly a quarter of rural hospitals are on the brink of closure


    The article does not seem to quantify the empty bed problem, in comparison with the low paying patient problem.

    Empty beds is not really a problem, because if the hospital closes, there will be others with empty beds. The problem is that low paying patients, force needed hospitals to close. Most Democratic presidential candidates ware unwilling to write a new tax law.


    //
    _______________________________
    How did Our Oil get under Their Sand?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •