Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 146

Thread: Vaccines and a culture of fear

  1. #31
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    65,868

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I know several friends who take the flu shot every year, and several of them still manage to get the flu. I'll pass on it.
    There are a lot of strains of influenza.

    Passing on a flu vaccine is like failing to wear a seat belt. Yes, sometimes you really do end up better off without a seat belt. Driving without one is still stupid.

    Vaccinations are worse, because your stupidity also endangers others.
    “personal attorney” to Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't know who [Individual-1] is and neither do you.

  2. #32
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,535

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    There are a lot of strains of influenza.

    Passing on a flu vaccine is like failing to wear a seat belt. Yes, sometimes you really do end up better off without a seat belt. Driving without one is still stupid.

    Vaccinations are worse, because your stupidity also endangers others.
    The stupidity of one person endangering another person is not just limited to vaccinations is it?

  3. #33
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    65,868

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    The stupidity of one person endangering another person is not just limited to vaccinations is it?
    Nope.
    “personal attorney” to Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't know who [Individual-1] is and neither do you.

  4. #34
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    29,510

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    The stupid put countless others at risk. This Dr knows it.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." ..François-Marie Arouet. French philosopher. 1694 - 1778.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56,316

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The stupid put countless others at risk. This Dr knows it.

    i'm fine with spacing out the vaccines as a concession to appease the anti vaxers. outside of that, nope. vaccinate your kids or home school them.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Just make it mandatory and bring charges against those who refuse. No exceptions except for a valid medical reason. Luckily the anti-vax reaction seems to be yielding a significant amount of legislation and private policy changes precisely along these lines. Roll up those sleeves!

  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Just make it mandatory and bring charges against those who refuse. No exceptions except for a valid medical reason. Luckily the anti-vax reaction seems to be yielding a significant amount of legislation and private policy changes precisely along these lines. Roll up those sleeves!
    How very totalitarian of you.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    How very totalitarian of you.
    I'm not an absolutist on freedom. Sorry. Roll up that sleeve Ockham and take your medicine.

  9. #39
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I'm not an absolutist on freedom. Sorry. Roll up that sleeve Ockham and take your medicine.
    Not an absolutist = totalitarian. You won't be hearing the "Ja vole" from me any time soon. If I roll up my sleeve it will be because I say so, not because some politician needs to make points on his next election. I sorta hope your view comes to pass - it'll make a helluva lawsuit and I could get a few sheckels out of the deal.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #40
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Vaccines and a culture of fear

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Not an absolutist = totalitarian. You won't be hearing the "Ja vole" from me any time soon. If I roll up my sleeve it will be because I say so, not because some politician needs to make points on his next election. I sorta hope your view comes to pass - it'll make a helluva lawsuit and I could get a few sheckels out of the deal.
    The sign of a fanatic. You're right there is no middle ground between totalitarian and forcing people to get their shots. The constitutionality of mandatory vaccinations is well established with the primary grey area being whether or not a religious exemption is required and what sort of test is needed to prove that.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •