Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 741

Thread: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,909

    Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    So during this Coronavirus outbreak there have been tons of people who have bought guns and many of them are first time gun buyers. We've even got people from the gun control crowd who have decided to switch sides and who have bought, or have wanted to buy, guns. The problem is when we treat them the wrong way, all too often people from the gun crowd will be saying stuff such as, "I told you so," or "So now you want a gun now that a crisis has hit," or otherwise mocking and ridiculing them for their past positions on guns. This is the wrong way to deal with them.

    We need to welcome them to the gun community. In the cause for gun rights, the more people we've got the better. Lots of people who were on the fence or who were against guns have recently learned that guns are not quite as easy to legally get as they had thought. You can't just go into a gun store and walk out with a gun like its candy, you have to fill out paperwork, go through background checks, and depending on your state you might need licenses and waiting periods too. Contrary to what lots of people thought you can't buy a gun over the internet and have it sent to your house, if you do buy a gun on the internet you have to have it sent to an FFL dealership in your state and go there to pick it up and go through the same procedure as if you were buying a gun there.

    So we should welcome everybody into the gun community who has decided to buy guns during this outbreak. I can see how we might want to punish them for their past attitudes towards guns and their past positions but mocking and ridiculing is what the gun control crowd does, we don't need to lower ourselves to their level.

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,643

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Any stats to back this up? (Legitimate question, I am not seeing much from the usual sources suggesting spikes in first time gun buyers. It may or may not be happening.)
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,909

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Any stats to back this up? (Legitimate question, I am not seeing much from the usual sources suggesting spikes in first time gun buyers. It may or may not be happening.)
    YouTube
    YouTube
    YouTube

    According to this as many as 90 percent of the people buying guns are first time gun buyers.
    YouTube

  4. #4
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    06-03-20 @ 06:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,910

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by DebateChallenge View Post
    So during this Coronavirus outbreak there have been tons of people who have bought guns and many of them are first time gun buyers. We've even got people from the gun control crowd who have decided to switch sides and who have bought, or have wanted to buy, guns. The problem is when we treat them the wrong way, all too often people from the gun crowd will be saying stuff such as, "I told you so," or "So now you want a gun now that a crisis has hit," or otherwise mocking and ridiculing them for their past positions on guns. This is the wrong way to deal with them.

    We need to welcome them to the gun community. In the cause for gun rights, the more people we've got the better. Lots of people who were on the fence or who were against guns have recently learned that guns are not quite as easy to legally get as they had thought. You can't just go into a gun store and walk out with a gun like its candy, you have to fill out paperwork, go through background checks, and depending on your state you might need licenses and waiting periods too. Contrary to what lots of people thought you can't buy a gun over the internet and have it sent to your house, if you do buy a gun on the internet you have to have it sent to an FFL dealership in your state and go there to pick it up and go through the same procedure as if you were buying a gun there.

    So we should welcome everybody into the gun community who has decided to buy guns during this outbreak. I can see how we might want to punish them for their past attitudes towards guns and their past positions but mocking and ridiculing is what the gun control crowd does, we don't need to lower ourselves to their level.
    Good post. They're not hypocrites; they're just being awakened to the reality that their secure suburban societies are fragile and self-reliance is necessary in a crisis.

  5. #5
    Advisor Artymoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    336

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Good post. They're not hypocrites; they're just being awakened to the reality that their secure suburban societies are fragile and self-reliance is necessary in a crisis.
    True words. But I would add that self-reliance is necessary in more than just times of crisis.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Rich2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norcross, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,523

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Good post. They're not hypocrites; they're just being awakened to the reality that their secure suburban societies are fragile and self-reliance is necessary in a crisis.
    They're victims of the fear being peddled.


    Congress should pass a law that a gun shop selling a gun, during this pandemic, MUST buy it back for the SAME price once the pandemic is declared over by the WHO.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,909

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2018 View Post
    They're victims of the fear being peddled.


    Congress should pass a law that a gun shop selling a gun, during this pandemic, MUST buy it back for the SAME price once the pandemic is declared over by the WHO.
    No that would rip off the gun shops. Once a gun is purchased it is considered "used" and its value is diminished to that of a "used" gun. Even if it hasn't been fired it is still considered "used" and is worth less than when it was first purchased.

  8. #8
    Guru
    zsu2357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Great state of (cough,cough)Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,601

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    =Rich2018;1071605517]They're victims of the fear being peddled.
    Of course you have no fear that someone/s would want to take what you may have.

    Congress should pass a law that a gun shop selling a gun, during this pandemic, MUST buy it back for the SAME price once the pandemic is declared over by the WHO.
    And if they don't want to get their money back?

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,909

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Quote Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
    And if they don't want to get their money back?
    There might be some people who return guns but I would say the vast majority wouldn't. When it comes to guns and the gun community I can say this much, once you go down that path there's no turning back.

    Not to mention what Rich2018 wants is for the people running the government to become criminals. With the law he proposes, number one the President would never sign it into law, number two it would never even get to the President's desk as Congress would not pass it in the first place.

  10. #10
    Student Bok_Tukalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Last Seen
    05-27-20 @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    237

    Re: Proper Treatment Of Those Who Switch Sides

    Mostly first time buyers would surprise me. This is standard behavior for the gun folk. They are easily spooked.

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •