Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 146

Thread: Do you feel safer Now?

  1. #121
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    217,601

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    You may be surprised, but learned gun safety by the NRA when my father was stationed in Japan in the late 50's. We took a 4 hour course in gun safety before they would allow us to even touch a weapon. Now the NRA pushes the right to have concealed carry and wants it without any training. That is what they suggested to the GOP who controlled my states legislature at the time they passed the concealed carry law, but even those people would not allow that. The watered down training though is why my neighbor had no training on how to load her weapon or take it off safety. I am sorry but the NRA has become an ad agency for the gun makers who provide them with most of their funding.
    really? do you know who provides that training in most states?
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that Reagan signed the Brady Bill - right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The only "sport" that most gun owners participate in is suicide or murder.

  2. #122
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,083

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    You may be surprised, but learned gun safety by the NRA when my father was stationed in Japan in the late 50's. We took a 4 hour course in gun safety before they would allow us to even touch a weapon. Now the NRA pushes the right to have concealed carry and wants it without any training. That is what they suggested to the GOP who controlled my states legislature at the time they passed the concealed carry law, but even those people would not allow that. The watered down training though is why my neighbor had no training on how to load her weapon or take it off safety. I am sorry but the NRA has become an ad agency for the gun makers who provide them with most of their funding.
    I never once mentioned the NRA, but your (personal?) beef with the NRA should not be cause for folks not to seek gun safety training. Whether a gun is to be carried concealed or not, gun safety training is important. Even those who do not currently own guns could benefit from from such training.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,409

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    I am not trained to teach gun safety and all she wanted was for me to load her automatic and show her how to take it off safety. She was not interested in learning how to use it safely. I had suggested she get training, but she told me she did everything the law required.
    And ammosexuals want that law to stay exactly the way it is. They fight for the right of morons and the stupid to have guns

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Training can help reduce accidents but more importantly it can weed out morons who should not have a gun. Training should be tough to complete....not everyone should have a gun.


    But some will fight for the rights of morons
    Please explain here. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish by "weeding out morons that should not have a gun".

    We already know that accidents are at an all time low. Despite not having federally mandated training.

    So.. do you think that somehow training is going to predict future criminal behavior? Do you think that training is going to find future CRIMINALS? Do you think criminals intent on killing folks.. are going to be taking federal training?

    Please explain your logic here.

    We already proved that there is no need for mandatory training.. because as firearms sales skyrocketed.. (and presumably also to those "morons" that you talk about).. accident rates dropped.

    So that means that we don't have a significant problem with morons getting guns and causing accidents.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    I am not trained to teach gun safety and all she wanted was for me to load her automatic and show her how to take it off safety. She was not interested in learning how to use it safely. I had suggested she get training, but she told me she did everything the law required.

    Yeah..I call BS. So she doesn't want to learn how not to kill herself accidently? Really? I call BS on you. AND guess what.. I have the statistics to prove that the vast vast vast majority of people are NOT doing things like her. Because as gun sales swelled.. accidents went down.. to historic lows.

    If that was the case, that this lady actually does not want to learn how to handle the firearm safely. (when she doesn't even know how to load it and take it off safety) .. then this lady needs mental health help. Because the only reason someone would have that attitude is because they plan on committing suicide. And no amount of training is going to stop that.

    Like I said.. I call BS.

    And frankly.. YOU DON:T NEED TO BE TRAINED IN GUN SAFETY.. to teach safety. Heck.. the vast vast vast majority of americans don't learn gun safety from some formal instruction. they learn it from friends and family at a young age. I started my boys at three. I was started at 4 or 5 years old.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-13-19 @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,903

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    You may be surprised, but learned gun safety by the NRA when my father was stationed in Japan in the late 50's. We took a 4 hour course in gun safety before they would allow us to even touch a weapon. Now the NRA pushes the right to have concealed carry and wants it without any training. That is what they suggested to the GOP who controlled my states legislature at the time they passed the concealed carry law, but even those people would not allow that. The watered down training though is why my neighbor had no training on how to load her weapon or take it off safety. I am sorry but the NRA has become an ad agency for the gun makers who provide them with most of their funding.
    Wow.. that is wrong on multiple levels.

    First is that NRA bit. There is no watered down bit by the NRA. The NRA is not a government agency.. that is mandated to provide training to people. It is an organization that provides the pretty much the most support to firearm training in the nation. But its not a government agency that's mandated by law to provide training.

    Secondly.. the NRA is certainly not an ad agency for gun makers. Please. The NRA is a huge source of funding for firearm safety.

    IF you disagree.. then you please point to any entity that provides more firearms training,, more shooting sports support, and more support to providing safe gun ranges..than the NRA.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  7. #127
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    472

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Training can help reduce accidents but more importantly it can weed out morons who should not have a gun. Training should be tough to complete....not everyone should have a gun.


    But some will fight for the rights of morons
    Free training provided by the state?

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,409

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by daeler View Post
    Free training provided by the state?
    And free testing. But the test is tough

  9. #129
    Guru

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,534

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I never once mentioned the NRA, but your (personal?) beef with the NRA should not be cause for folks not to seek gun safety training. Whether a gun is to be carried concealed or not, gun safety training is important. Even those who do not currently own guns could benefit from from such training.
    My only beef wit the NRA is that they have turned from a group whose purpose was to insure that those who owned and used guns were trained to do so safely to a group that's mission was to help the gun makers sell more guns. I have no problem with people owning guns, but they MUST be trained to use and store them safely. I presently do not own no weapons, but I have been trained both early by my father's wish by the NRA and the military when I served. It is also when I saw the destructive power of the weapons like the AR15, it was a demonstration of the power of the M-16.

  10. #130
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,083

    Re: Do you feel safer Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    My only beef wit the NRA is that they have turned from a group whose purpose was to insure that those who owned and used guns were trained to do so safely to a group that's mission was to help the gun makers sell more guns. I have no problem with people owning guns, but they MUST be trained to use and store them safely. I presently do not own no weapons, but I have been trained both early by my father's wish by the NRA and the military when I served. It is also when I saw the destructive power of the weapons like the AR15, it was a demonstration of the power of the M-16.
    The M-16 or AR-15 (5.56mm or .223) round is not more powerful than that of most modern sporting rifles.

    Rifle Ballistics Table - Improved
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •