Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

  1. #1
    Advisor madasheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    485

    Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment



    I don't know why but I hadn't heard about this until recently. How come Burger got it and so many others don't? It's clear from the wording of the constitution they weren't talking about letting every person because an army.
    "Journalism is what we need to make democracy work" -- Walter Cronkite
    "Democracy dies in darkness." -- Washington Post

  2. #2
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,370
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    He was a seditious tyrant by definition. I am glad he's gone.

  3. #3
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post


    I don't know why but I hadn't heard about this until recently. How come Burger got it and so many others don't? It's clear from the wording of the constitution they weren't talking about letting every person because an army.
    He proved he was an illiterate boob. Thanks.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  4. #4
    Student

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    223

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Burger was a bigot who hated gay people.From here:

    A concurring opinion by Chief Justice Warren E. Burger cited the “ancient roots” of prohibitions against homosexual sex, quoting William Blackstone’s description of homosexual sex as an “infamous crime against nature”, worse than rape, and “a crime not fit to be named”. Burger concluded: “To hold that the act of homosexual sodomy is somehow protected as a fundamental right would be to cast aside millennia of moral teaching.”[2]
    He was appointed by Nixon, and his court severely weakened the fourth and fifth amendment protections from the previous Warren court in favor of police and prosecutors. He has publicly stated on numerous occasions that the fifth amendment should not be in the bill of rights.

    So no, I don't really care what he thought about the 2nd Amendment.

  5. #5
    Advisor swing_voter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    'Murica
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    337

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post

    I don't know why but I hadn't heard about this until recently. How come Burger got it and so many others don't? It's clear from the wording of the constitution they weren't talking about letting every person because an army.



    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.


    Back when the Constitution was new, the states owned their own militias, it's what made our Civil War so bad, every state had a private army.

    The Second Amendment isn't aimed at the states, it's aimed at the federal government. The Second Amendment is saying the fed can't take a state's militia away.

    States regulate their militias, not the fed. A state could say, all militia members have to be able to run a mile in under 12 minutes. A state can issue a gun license. Not the fed, the states can.

  6. #6
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,817

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by swing_voter View Post
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.


    Back when the Constitution was new, the states owned their own militias, it's what made our Civil War so bad, every state had a private army.

    The Second Amendment isn't aimed at the states, it's aimed at the federal government. The Second Amendment is saying the fed can't take a state's militia away.

    States regulate their militias, not the fed. A state could say, all militia members have to be able to run a mile in under 12 minutes. A state can issue a gun license. Not the fed, the states can.
    Pfft...can't you read? It obviously states that anyone is permitted to hsve any weapon at all. Including nuclear missiles. I need those to protect myself.

  7. #7
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,817

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    He proved he was an illiterate boob. Thanks.
    Translation: I disagree, therefore he is dumb. The NRA told me so.

  8. #8
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Translation: I disagree, therefore he is dumb. The NRA told me so.
    Correct translation, the man cannot read and or comprehend what he read. He is illiterate. I will be happy to do a basic sentence structure break down of the second amendment for you.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #9
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post


    I don't know why but I hadn't heard about this until recently. How come Burger got it and so many others don't? It's clear from the wording of the constitution they weren't talking about letting every person because an army.

    “Shall not be infringed”. It also had the later effect of not allowing sheriffs and marshals from disarming freed slaves, leaving them vulnerable to attack by racist whites.

    Today, its a reminder that as a citizen you have the right of self defense and are not expected to sit in your chair and die waiting for the police to show up.
    We killed God, family, and community. Now it’s killing us.
    When I sound crazy, it’s because I think you are.
    America belongs to the rest of the world. Your job is to pay for it.
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  10. #10
    May we meet in Valhalla
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65,630

    Re: Former Chief Justice Warren Berger on the 2nd Amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by madasheck View Post


    I don't know why but I hadn't heard about this until recently. How come Burger got it and so many others don't? It's clear from the wording of the constitution they weren't talking about letting every person because an army.
    You accept of course that as a Supreme Court Justice, he could still be wrong....correct?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •