Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 181

Thread: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

  1. #11
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    26,330
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    This thread is for us gun enthusiasts to discuss any topic about guns themselves. It is not to debate gun control, shootings, or any political issues about guns - directly or indirectly. But it is about guns and "controlling your gun" is a suitable topic - so it does fall under the topic of gun control.

    Making any comments about guns. Your favorite, what you have or want, technical or build questions, history, personal experiences etc. Any questions you have or areas where gun owners disagree about guns themselves - which is better etc.
    This is my rifle, this is my gun.
    This is for hunting, this is for fun.
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks. Though the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I donít know.Ē
    -DeeJay Trump-

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,610

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I'll start with a question: Any of you own or have shot a .300 Blackout - either in AR15 platform or otherwise? I'm seriously thinking about getting a complete .300 upper barrel assembly and magazines for my AR15 I'm building up rather seriously in terms of quality and cost. The .300 Blackout basically in the intermediary between the .223 and the .308. Basically it is a .308 short. Shorter cartridge, lower velocity but bigger and heavier bullet. Faster isn't always better for a bullet. Good enough is good enough and from videos I've seen it is a devastating round into gel - designed to release all its energy on impact - but also eliminating penetrating thru walls, your neighbor's house etc - and significantly less recoil and volume of the report (not as low) than a .308 NATO. It would take all of 2 minutes to switch between .223 and .300 blackout, provided each has its own zeroed in sights. An easy cheap upgrade of mine has extended stainless steel pins to remove and replace the upper assembly. Anyone of you ever shot a .300 Blackout? Is the .223 so good it offers no meaningful benefit? Thoughts?
    I always ask what would the new addition's purpose, does it fill a niche or is it more for 'pride of show'.

    My first serious firearm training was on the AR style carbine platform. It became an extension of my body, I slept many a night curled up with it. All that to say I have spent some time with her ....

    I've used pretty much every convolution of the AR platform to include the super weights. I get the sense you want to use this rifle in home defense. Even with my strong AR back round and very new to serious pistol usage (we joked the 1911 was what you threw as you dove for a REAL weapon) I prefer a pistol to a carbine in the home. I see the blackout as the AR answer to the AK. Some Texans can hunt at night with NVD's, suppressors, and swear by the Blackout on feral hogs using the AR platform.

    That's where I see this fitting in- a short/mid range, hog/ maybe deer rifle where distance isn't the issue but rapid back on target when you jump a passel of ferals.

    But many AR owners are like some women- the women collect shoes- these guys collect AR uppers....

  3. #13
    Guru
    Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On the Silk Road
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,626
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I always ask what would the new addition's purpose, does it fill a niche or is it more for 'pride of show'.

    My first serious firearm training was on the AR style carbine platform. It became an extension of my body, I slept many a night curled up with it. All that to say I have spent some time with her ....

    I've used pretty much every convolution of the AR platform to include the super weights. I get the sense you want to use this rifle in home defense. Even with my strong AR back round and very new to serious pistol usage (we joked the 1911 was what you threw as you dove for a REAL weapon) I prefer a pistol to a carbine in the home. I see the blackout as the AR answer to the AK. Some Texans can hunt at night with NVD's, suppressors, and swear by the Blackout on feral hogs using the AR platform.

    That's where I see this fitting in- a short/mid range, hog/ maybe deer rifle where distance isn't the issue but rapid back on target when you jump a passel of ferals.

    But many AR owners are like some women- the women collect shoes- these guys collect AR uppers....
    Dont tell my wife that.....she has several AR platforms; I am more of a bolt action user.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,127

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I'll start with a question:

    Any of you own or have shot a .300 Blackout - either in AR15 platform or otherwise? I'm seriously thinking about getting a complete .300 upper barrel assembly and magazines for my AR15 I'm building up rather seriously in terms of quality and cost.

    The .300 Blackout basically in the intermediary between the .223 and the .308. Basically it is a .308 short. Shorter cartridge, lower velocity but bigger and heavier bullet. Faster isn't always better for a bullet. Good enough is good enough and from videos I've seen it is a devastating round into gel - designed to release all its energy on impact - but also eliminating penetrating thru walls, your neighbor's house etc - and significantly less recoil and volume of the report (not as low) than a .308 NATO.

    It would take all of 2 minutes to switch between .223 and .300 blackout, provided each has its own zeroed in sights. An easy cheap upgrade of mine has extended stainless steel pins to remove and replace the upper assembly.

    Anyone of you ever shot a .300 Blackout? Is the .223 so good it offers no meaningful benefit? Thoughts?
    I’ve wanted a .300 blackout AR for some time, it’s not much different than the .223 which I own but it’s just something different

  5. #15
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,127

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ...and I love the smell of Napalm in the morning...

    Napalm sticks to kids

  6. #16
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by uptower View Post
    I love the feel in my hands of a classic AR-15 - that triangular handguard turns me on. But I'm tall and the Vietnam era stock is a little short. Some of the old FALs have a similar shape, but are heavy. I've never fired or owned one, just copped a feel.

    Otherwise I digs me my AKs: 47s, 74s - no fancy rails and stuff, just classic cold war stuff.
    I have a lot of military firearms and had a Mini 14 (got rid of it but bought another) and a Microtech 5.56 Bullpup (42 round mag) - but never had an AR - 10 or 15. They look too military and too scary. My concern was if I ever did have to shoot someone and had to appear before a jury over it, some of the women - particularly young women who know nothing of guns nor ever touched one - and some of the old women on the jury who are afraid in life in general - might see me as some crazy wacko terrorist type - while a Mini 14 will do EXACTLY the same thing.

    However, a couple weeks ago I bought a basic used AR15, checked it out, fired it - and truly LIKE it. It is a brilliant, absolutely brilliant design by every measure. The bullet is small, but the recoil is light and it'd get any job done for anything here. Incredibly easy to take down. Massive selection of ways to customize it. So I promptly traded it and some cash for a new custom build with a lot of nice stuff on it - and have ordered everything form THE best trigger group, butt stock, grip, different extensions, flash cans and other extras - including for where the stuff on it is all upgrade - I am upgrading it more to exactly as I want it.

    Amazingly, merely by changing the upper barrel assembly and magazines, it can be converted to different ammo and caliber in about 2 minutes - if you are being leisurely about it. I never thought I would like an AR15 this much. Yes, I wish it looked like my Mini 14 - truly a good rifle - but it can't be done. Put wood stocks on it and it looks like an AK to non-gun people.

    Personally, I don't care for AKs, but that is sense impression. I know they are one of the best semi-auto military rifles ever made and many benefits, but I don't like they feel, look and their action seems crude as does the rifle itself. But again, nothing wrong with an AK47 or others similar. Had a few of those Chinese AK-like rifles the USA was flooded with years ago - $100 new including shovel bayonet. Fired fine. But just too crude for my tastes, though it would make a great don't worry about forgetting it in the boat and rusting up a bit type gun.

  7. #17
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I always ask what would the new addition's purpose, does it fill a niche or is it more for 'pride of show'.

    My first serious firearm training was on the AR style carbine platform. It became an extension of my body, I slept many a night curled up with it. All that to say I have spent some time with her ....

    I've used pretty much every convolution of the AR platform to include the super weights. I get the sense you want to use this rifle in home defense. Even with my strong AR back round and very new to serious pistol usage (we joked the 1911 was what you threw as you dove for a REAL weapon) I prefer a pistol to a carbine in the home. I see the blackout as the AR answer to the AK. Some Texans can hunt at night with NVD's, suppressors, and swear by the Blackout on feral hogs using the AR platform.

    That's where I see this fitting in- a short/mid range, hog/ maybe deer rifle where distance isn't the issue but rapid back on target when you jump a passel of ferals.

    But many AR owners are like some women- the women collect shoes- these guys collect AR uppers....
    I actually do have a reason to consider one. A fragmentary round is made of it. The reason given is that with its lower velocity than a .308 and that it will break apart, the bullet will not go thru walls. Rather, it will release all its energy within the soft target (animal or person) - like an explosion - sending the 3 fragments into the body 3 different paths. So there is both the massive internal damage of the "explosion" and the muscle/tissue/blood vessel damage the 3 fragment's going in different directions would cause. Because its recoil is significantly lower than a .308, follow up shots can be faster.

    Specifically, in the event a hog hits me out of the palmettos again - accidentally stumbling into her den of her piglets - this might be a good choice. It was an instant panic impulse shot of no warning with a double 12 gauge hammer locks short barrels coach gun - 1 with 00 buck and the other a slug. Hit her in the rump - but too much momentum to stop her ripping open my leg. It was a ground fight over whether I bled out before her fighting was ended with her going at me. I won't continue - obviously I lived and she did not.

    My job requires I often go into such a dangerous natural setting, with other dangers as well such as snakes and gators. In deep growth I take that shotgun. If more open a .308 Springfield M1A (prior a 30.06 M1). A .300 Blackout might fill both roles - maybe better - and certainly lighter than the Springfield, about the same as the shotgun.

    What I saw happen in terms of the energy release expansion of the ballistic gel combined with the triple tracking, made me wonder if a .300 Blackout with that ammo is particularly well suited from such a situation. A fluted (or even carbon fiber) carbine barrel would keep it very lightweight. Fast to swing. That is my specific interest. Otherwise, I have no need-use for it whatsoever - none. A faster bullet isn't always the better bullet. But a .30 caliber bullet definitely will do more than a .223, even a reduced velocity 30 caliber at near point blank range.
    Last edited by joko104; 08-09-19 at 12:40 AM.

  8. #18
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,911
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Follow up. No, not for home defense. For home defense I will stick with my double barrel 12 gauge coach gun. My self defense is an Israeli Desert Eagle baby 45 (similar to a Colt Defender) with Crimson Trace grips, with my in the woods side arm a full frame Remington 45 acp also with a Crimson Trace.

    My opinion is a shotgun is the best for home defense and a double barrel allows firing both barrels at the same time to most slow down someone coming at me - plus they are extremely intimidating - meaning having to shoot is less likely. The barrel length also allows physically holding off that person being able to reach me with his knife after with a 12 ga. slug and 00 - with a dying thrust at me by his travel momentum, which can't be done with a pistol.

    There also are children in the house and sometimes guests - so I need some limit to wall penetration. Of course, the Mrs has her pistol as well - also a 1911 45acp (Colt, Korean War era standard issue - but also with Crimson Trace). "Hollow points."

  9. #19
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    217,773

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Follow up. No, not for home defense. For home defense I will stick with my double barrel 12 gauge coach gun. My self defense is an Israeli Desert Eagle baby 45 (similar to a Colt Defender) with Crimson Trace grips, with my in the woods side arm a full frame Remington 45 acp also with a Crimson Trace.

    My opinion is a shotgun is the best for home defense and a double barrel allows firing both barrels at the same time to most slow down someone coming at me - plus they are extremely intimidating - meaning having to shoot is less likely. The barrel length also allows physically holding off that person being able to reach me with his knife after with a 12 ga. slug and 00 - with a dying thrust at me by his travel momentum, which can't be done with a pistol.

    There also are children in the house and sometimes guests - so I need some limit to wall penetration. Of course, the Mrs has her pistol as well - also a 1911 45acp (Colt, Korean War era standard issue - but also with Crimson Trace). "Hollow points."
    almost all of us who really know shotguns suggest a semi auto. the best available include the various Benellis, the FnH SLP-1, the Remington Versamax and the Beretta defensive shotgun-cannot recall its name right now (I own the first three-not the Beretta)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that Reagan signed the Brady Bill - right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The only "sport" that most gun owners participate in is suicide or murder.

  10. #20
    Tricks and Tweets
    Logician Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Magnificent Rocky Mountains
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,122

    Re: Gun talk thread for gun enthusiasts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Can I talk about Trump?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •