Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

  1. #51
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,706
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Most Democrats are intensely religious to the point of cult zealotry, praying day and night for the USA stock market and economic to collapse, that black, Latino and women's unemployment skyrockets and ideally N. Korea launches nuclear missiles at Hawaii - anything that might harm President Trump's re-election and punish the USA and Americans for our existence.

  2. #52
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,387

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Another thread off the rails.

    We have a MarketWatch article talking about inverted yield curves and conditions today similar to 2006-2007, the Fed today making a statement that is not unlike what was made back in 2006, and somehow this is sitting in the ‘government spending and debt’ area of the forums.

    But the real problem is the expectation that the Fed will all of a sudden predict a recession, when they tend to not really do that. Not like the way the MarketWatch article is implying.

    Besides, we are overdue for a recession anyway... and it does not have to be a 2007-2008 level fiasco, just a recession that is a normal part of our economic cycle.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    10,264

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    The "mean" jab was at Trump, not you.
    Schumer offered Trump money for the wall in return for immigration reform and Trump turned him down. Trump is the unreliable negotiating partner, not Schumer. Democrats have been ready to deal with Trump on infrastructure and Trump is the one who keeps backing off, using a variety of excuses.The latest is because the Democrats are investigating him.Trump to Democrats: No infrastructure without trade deal - POLITICO Earlier it was because there He treats infrastructure like a carrot. Like a treat for the Democrats. He's a totally unreliable negotiating partner as he constantly demonstrates.
    Perhaps you are correct. Still think that nothing major will be passed in 2020. Hope I am wrong. Infrastructure is something the country truly needs.

  4. #54
    Advisor RobertU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    541

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Capitalism works fine except for recessions. Like a woman saying her marriage works fine except for the wife beating.
    Doom: Abortion, Kali, Enewetak
    https://www.jung29.com/doom.html

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    10-12-19 @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Another thread off the rails.

    We have a MarketWatch article talking about inverted yield curves and conditions today similar to 2006-2007, the Fed today making a statement that is not unlike what was made back in 2006, and somehow this is sitting in the ‘government spending and debt’ area of the forums.

    But the real problem is the expectation that the Fed will all of a sudden predict a recession, when they tend to not really do that. Not like the way the MarketWatch article is implying.

    Besides, we are overdue for a recession anyway... and it does not have to be a 2007-2008 level fiasco, just a recession that is a normal part of our economic cycle.
    Indeed. Recessions are painful but necessary and good. They correct market inefficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #56
    Sage
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Most Democrats are intensely religious to the point of cult zealotry, praying day and night for the USA stock market and economic to collapse, that black, Latino and women's unemployment skyrockets and ideally N. Korea launches nuclear missiles at Hawaii - anything that might harm President Trump's re-election and punish the USA and Americans for our existence.
    Strawman
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #57
    Student Mircea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    10-11-19 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    265

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Stock markets eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears - MarketWatch

    Looks like we are headed for another gop induced recessions.
    What a great example of propaganda and disinformation.

    Stock markets can never cause recessions and never have.

    Intelligent educated people know that the stock market has set continual record highs during some previous recessions. They also know that some of the worst stock market crashes occurred while the US economy was growing each and every quarter.

    For example, while the economy was growing at rates as high as 12.5% per quarter, the stock market lost 46% of its value.

    In a more recent occurrence, the economy averaged 2.5% per quarter during the entire time the stock market lost 42% of its value and took more than 2 years to recover.

    Intelligent educated people know there is no relationship whatsoever between the stock market and the economy and the stock market is not an indicator of anything other than where investors are putting their money in terms of economic sectors.

  8. #58
    Sage
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by Mircea View Post


    Intelligent educated people know there is no relationship whatsoever between the stock market and the economy and the stock market is not an indicator of anything other than where investors are putting their money in terms of economic sectors.
    picard-facepalm.jpg
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  9. #59
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,387

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Indeed. Recessions are painful but necessary and good. They correct market inefficiency.
    To your point, they are going to happen anyway. The amplitude of the economic cycle, or the severity of a recession, becomes damn near dependent on the condition and quality of policy. Namely fiscal, monetary, and trade policy. Having a recession is not the problem, the reasons for a recession being such a mess points to those in charge... even if they are sleeping at the wheel, something the Fed and Congress is known well for.

    The good news is recessions, or really any economic headwind, causes the voter to shop for new leadership.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,036

    Re: Stock market’s eerie parallels to September 2007 should raise recession fears

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Indeed. Recessions are painful but necessary and good. They correct market inefficiency.


    Yes. They are the coffee, aspirin, Alka-Seltzer, stomach pump for an inebriated, overdosed market. There is nothing logical about the emotional buy-sell in the market except for the somewhat more often than not but few top-tier professionals and insiders. Otherwise, the market wouldn’t be so erratic and neither would we get so drunk and drugged as to need special attention.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •