Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 767

Thread: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

  1. #471
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,164

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Taxation actually isn't a remedy. In fact.. taxes have become way more progressive than they were in the past.. and yet.. funny enough.. inequity has increased.

    Just a fact. And before you go.. "but but but.. they taxed at 90%"... do a little more research.

    Despite the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the Federal Tax System is Becoming More Progressive Over Time | Tax Policy Center
    Tax avoidance is an issue at any tax rate. One must be vigilant and adjust as new schemes appear, its just a matter of closing loopholes and going after tax cheats. The only historically effective way to solve this has always been a proscription or a war. We are trying to avoid these tried and true remedies.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  2. #472
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,667

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    Tax avoidance is an issue at any tax rate. One must be vigilant and adjust as new schemes appear, its just a matter of closing loopholes and going after tax cheats. The only historically effective way to solve this has always been a proscription or a war. We are trying to avoid these tried and true remedies.

    Whoa there MR strawman. We are not talking about "tax cheats"... The fact is.. that our system has become MORE PROGRESSIVE.

    And yet inequality has increased. So your "the only way to change inequality is through taxation (presumably you meant more progressive taxation)".. has already been proven false.

  3. #473
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,164

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Whoa there MR strawman. We are not talking about "tax cheats"... The fact is.. that our system has become MORE PROGRESSIVE.

    And yet inequality has increased. So your "the only way to change inequality is through taxation (presumably you meant more progressive taxation)".. has already been proven false.
    Anyone who legally used tax avoidance schemes to hide massive wealth is in my opinion a tax cheat. Why? Because those tax schemes are only available to them and were made legal by the lawyers and officials these same creeps paid to do their dirty work. Now that only covers legal tax avoidance schemes. Most of the real dough is hidden in tax shelters, trillions upon trillions. Tax the hell out of them too and lock them up. Sorry, but whether you do it legally or illegally, you are avoiding taxes and sheltering wealth. I am for destroying that wealth upon the death of the creator of that wealth. Taxation is an easy and painless way to do it. Revolution is the more common way of doing it. Pick your poison.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  4. #474
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    221,285

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bum View Post
    Key word you seem to have overlooked...."owner".....the owner can make or pay themselves whatever they please because they are the owner.

    I find it odd that you would imply that workers concerns about the owners pay should even be factored into any argument because...well, it belongs to the owner.

    "I work for you and the company you own, and I dont like you paying yourself so much".

    Sure to be a short conversation.
    The gist of the leftwing ideology is that people are pawns of society and that the interests of individuals are always subordinate to the greater good-the greater good being defined by leftwing "elites" who pretend to know what is better for you and me, than you and I. So leftwing tax schemes ignore the rights of individuals and are based merely on advancing what the leftwing elites think is the greater good (which is invariably the accentuation of their own power)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that Reagan signed the Brady Bill - right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The only "sport" that most gun owners participate in is suicide or murder.

  5. #475
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    221,285

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    Anyone who legally used tax avoidance schemes to hide massive wealth is in my opinion a tax cheat. Why? Because those tax schemes are only available to them and were made legal by the lawyers and officials these same creeps paid to do their dirty work. Now that only covers legal tax avoidance schemes. Most of the real dough is hidden in tax shelters, trillions upon trillions. Tax the hell out of them too and lock them up. Sorry, but whether you do it legally or illegally, you are avoiding taxes and sheltering wealth. I am for destroying that wealth upon the death of the creator of that wealth. Taxation is an easy and painless way to do it. Revolution is the more common way of doing it. Pick your poison.
    Orwellian-if you follow the law you are breaking the law. But this is only true if you are richer than he thinks you should be. If you suck off the public teat, yet vote for more and more taxes on those who actually pay them, that is perfectly legitimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that Reagan signed the Brady Bill - right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The only "sport" that most gun owners participate in is suicide or murder.

  6. #476
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,400

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Whatever makes you feel better about being wrong Gimmee.
    Yeah, no, top marginal rates had a positive correlation to gdp gains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with either racism or sexism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    In fact, I speculate had Antifa not been there, there would have been zero deaths at that (Charlottesville) event.

  7. #477
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,128

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbird19482 View Post
    H. Ford knew that he had to pay his workers enough money to be able to buy his cars and after his people joined a union and went on a long nasty strike his wife forced him into excepting the union , so after that he swore there would never be any non union workers in his company
    one more thing I get upset about is Trump calming Ford and GM brought back jobs from Mexico because of him
    He had nothing to do with those jobs coming back to the states it was the UAW contract from 2015 or 16
    Have a nice evening
    You make a good point. thanks for that bit of info.
    I keep hearing people saying "IT'S THE UNION'S FAULT" that's why there was so much outsourcing.
    However I was a factory worker in Michigan . 3 nonunion shops in Michigan that I worked at were outsourced and a lot more. There was more that a few nonunion factories in Michigan that were making either minimum wage or an eyelash above minimum wage. so why were they outsourced?
    Another thing everybody seems to put unions down they forget before unions there was child labor, you could be fired for no reason,no women were hired for heavy labor, wges were determined by the owner of the company being paid overtime did not exist vacations did not exist..
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

  8. #478
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,164

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Orwellian-if you follow the law you are breaking the law. But this is only true if you are richer than he thinks you should be. If you suck off the public teat, yet vote for more and more taxes on those who actually pay them, that is perfectly legitimate.
    Not really. When the wealthy write their own laws to benefit themselves, a moral question about the basis for these laws is appropriate and necessary.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  9. #479
    Professor
    Individual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,987

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Rather than constantly complain about wealth/income inequality, complainers should just start their own businesses and pay themselves what they FEEL they are worth.

  10. #480
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    45,109
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: a new U.S. wealth tax - only on the ultra-wealthy?

    Warren is pursuing pure socialism in which the government owns everything.

    Of course it is not on the ultra wealthy. The ultra wealthy will pay nothing.

    Warren is doing the same LIE told to create federal income tax - only 1% of the ultra wealthy - that was the promise - and that was the lie.

    Warren is telling the same like for the creation of a MASSIVE NEW federal property tax on EVERYTHING you own. You will literally, every year, have to tell the government everything you own - and then pay a "wealth tax" (lying when really it is a federal property tax.)

    Pay your federal property tax on your house, car, your cell phone, your cloths, your computer, anything and everything you own - every year. At any time, the government can raid your apartment or house under a tax warrant to try to catch you hiding anything of value. Doing so is a crime.

    Can't pay 25% tax on everything you own every year? Then the government takes it.

    Elizabeth Warren is the most radical massive taxing candidate since the creation of the federal income tax - telling 100% exactly the same lie she is telling now.

Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •