Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: How much of our earnings is enough?

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    119

    How much of our earnings is enough?

    Pretty simple question, it's estimated that American's pay about 50% of earnings towards taxes and fees. At what point is it too much?

    When will you say, enough already, you (the govt.) needs to stick to an income level. (Keep in mind that, every time you or I get a raise or earn more money the govt. gets an increase too. If we must stick to a predetermined budget why should we not expect our govt. to?

  2. #2
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Pretty simple question, it's estimated that American's pay about 50% of earnings towards taxes and fees.
    You must be mistaken:





    At what point is it too much?
    Do you notice anything peculiar about the graph above (which is total government reciepts... federal + state + local... as a percentage of total output)?

    There are two types of people in this world.

    1.) Those who are able to extrapolate meaning from incomplete data sets.

    If we must stick to a predetermined budget why should we not expect our govt. to?
    Output and income have been increasing since this nation was founded. Sure, there have been periodic hiccups, but the trend is undoubtedly north-northeast.

    So i ask you... why should government expenditures and receipts be kept constant?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    119

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Are you forgetting cell phone fees, cable TV fees, gas tax, road tax, alcohol tax, sales tax, inheritance tax, waste disposal fee, tolls, the list could go on for days.

  4. #4
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Are you forgetting cell phone fees, cable TV fees, gas tax, road tax, alcohol tax, sales tax, inheritance tax, waste disposal fee, tolls, the list could go on for days.
    That figure takes into consideration all aspects of government receipts, including interest on a plethora of loans and perpetual agreements.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #5
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Pretty simple question, it's estimated that American's pay about 50% of earnings towards taxes and fees. At what point is it too much?

    When will you say, enough already, you (the govt.) needs to stick to an income level. (Keep in mind that, every time you or I get a raise or earn more money the govt. gets an increase too. If we must stick to a predetermined budget why should we not expect our govt. to?
    During WWII the government came up with the with holding of taxes from your check. If one had to write a check to the government every April instead of having some with held every week, the percentage would be much lower. Most Americans wouldn't stand for the government taking as much as they do.

    This goes back to what one doesn't have, one doesn't miss it. If you never see the total amount of money you make, you don't really know how much goes to the government. You'd be surprise at how many people think the net amount they get is actually what they earn and not the gross.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #6
    Sage


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,337

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Pretty simple question, it's estimated that American's pay about 50% of earnings towards taxes and fees. At what point is it too much?

    When will you say, enough already, you (the govt.) needs to stick to an income level. (Keep in mind that, every time you or I get a raise or earn more money the govt. gets an increase too. If we must stick to a predetermined budget why should we not expect our govt. to?
    It’s not really a matter of how much you pay, what matters is what you get for your taxes. Europeans pay a higher percentage of income to taxes but they get more services, such as healthcare included and a broad safety net.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  7. #7
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    You own things because the state says so. That is the only reason you own anything. That we live in this democratic capitalist world means that ownership within the state's rules is governed by all the law and process that we have is secondary.

    In the 1960's the state generally took lots of money, tax, for the owning of stuff. Capital tax and tax on assets were the way lots of tax was collected.

    Since then the baby boomers who voted for that sort of tax rejeme have grown up and got lots of stuff. They now have changed the tax system to tax earnings. Selfish types.

  8. #8
    Student Old Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    This goes back to what one doesn't have, one doesn't miss it. If you never see the total amount of money you make, you don't really know how much goes to the government. You'd be surprise at how many people think the net amount they get is actually what they earn and not the gross.
    Oh but you do see how much you are paying every year. You must certify and sign that your tax filing for federal and state are correct. So you should know how big a bite the government takes out of your pay. I support a flat tax, one rate for all.
    If you're an enemy pilot and this is on your six you're SCREWED!


  9. #9
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Oh but you do see how much you are paying every year. You must certify and sign that your tax filing for federal and state are correct. So you should know how big a bite the government takes out of your pay. I support a flat tax, one rate for all.
    Should is the correct word. Everyone should. How many people think when they get a refund that the refund is basically a gift from the government so to speak? What system of taxes I would like or support, I never been sure. I leaned toward the flat tax a long time ago. But I think a national sales tax on what one buys or consumes would be much fairer to use a leftest word or better. What percentage, I haven't the faintest idea not being a financial guru. The rich always buy the most expensive stuff, have the most expensive cars and houses and the like. Fair to them. I would exempt medical and food. But beyond that, how one would break that down, I'd have to let the experts decide. Whichever way we go, it would have to be tinkered and played with probably for years to get it right.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #10
    Student Old Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    258

    Re: How much of our earnings is enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Should is the correct word. Everyone should. How many people think when they get a refund that the refund is basically a gift from the government so to speak? What system of taxes I would like or support, I never been sure. I leaned toward the flat tax a long time ago. But I think a national sales tax on what one buys or consumes would be much fairer to use a leftest word or better. What percentage, I haven't the faintest idea not being a financial guru. The rich always buy the most expensive stuff, have the most expensive cars and houses and the like. Fair to them. I would exempt medical and food. But beyond that, how one would break that down, I'd have to let the experts decide. Whichever way we go, it would have to be tinkered and played with probably for years to get it right.
    In some cases a sales tax is fairer however what you are suggesting is really a VAT. In that every item along the way is taxed and the end user is the one that gets the shaft. No I believe a flat tax is the way to go.
    If you're an enemy pilot and this is on your six you're SCREWED!


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •