Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 102

Thread: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trillion

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,512

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Of course national defense is a big part of the budget. Its a high priority and one of the actual required functions of the federal govt.



    But I never said anything about leaving Military untouched. I simply pointed out that it pales in comparison to social spending. As for Kansas, same problem. Too much spending. Guest column: Reckless spending caused Kansas budget crisis | The Kansas City Star

    All govts have the same problem. They collect as much tax as they can, and then spend whatever they want regardless of what they have. It should be the opposite, spend only whats neccesary, and collect the minimum needed to fund it, and return everything else to the people.
    The 'reckless spending' claim is by AFP people, but what they classify as "reckless" clearly is NOT what the people of Kansas expect from their government, which serves them, not the interests of small government ideologues and extremists. That's the problem - for some reason, residents like funding K-12 and higher education and good roads and jails and even Medicaid/CHIP for the poor. People at places like AFP just imagine that a state can take a meat axe to spending and the voters go along with it. Actual people in elected jobs know if they do that, and funding for their local HS gets cut by a third, and the roads go to crap, and college tuition skyrockets because the state funding is cut year after year, they'll get booted from office.

    And the article you cite refers to a study supposedly proving that cutting taxes by $800 million a year improved job growth. Probably did!! The problem is the gains were hardly noticeable, and so $800 million in nominal tax cuts per year ended up being $800 million in real tax cuts, budget shortfalls, not tax gains, or even (after the promised 'dynamic' gains) $400 million per year in revenue shortfalls. So Kansas kept missing revenue targets, running out of money, then draining all the state's 'savings' accounts and reserves to keep the lights on, barely. Kansas is a great example of when extremist ideology hits reality and the results weren't good for extremist ideology.

  2. #72
    Guru ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Haven't you noticed? Deficits are only bad when the president is a Democrat.
    Of course. Only Trump supporters and Tea Partiers don't know that.

    “It’s a great talking point when you have an administration that’s Democrat-led. It’s a little different now that Republicans have both houses and the administration.”
    -Mark Walker (R-NC), Chairman of Republican Study Committee of the House of Representatives
    That's why they are played so easily by everyone from Donald Trump and the Koch brothers to the Russians.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    There's nobody to vote for, ever if spending is your concern.
    If deficits are your concern, you could vote democrat. And shouldnt deficits be your real concern? wait, are you just trying to frame the discussion so you can justify your continued support of republicans?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

  4. #74

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If deficits are your concern, you could vote democrat. And shouldnt deficits be your real concern? wait, are you just trying to frame the discussion so you can justify your continued support of republicans?
    Shrinking gov is my concern

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  5. #75
    Professor Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,597

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Oh O, I'm saddened by your post. You continue to deny that President Obama reduced the deficit and you simply reiterate your "both sides do it" narrative. Lets focus on the original discussion. The reason you cant find an example and have to again assure me "both sides do it" is because there is no example. And what makes your continued belief truly sad is I've given you an example that disproves your narrative. So not only do you cling to a narrative you cant back up, you ignore the facts I've posted. Dems and republicans voted for Bush's 2008 stimulus. Dems didn't suddenly become deficit hawks. Dems put America first. Republicans didn't vote for President Obama's stimulus. they put their political agenda ahead of America. Now, republicans had proven throughout President Obama's presidency that they were not concerned about the deficit and only trying to undermine the recovery. Republicans literally saying “weeeeeeeeeeeeee, we’re in charge, lets run up the deficit” proves it even to you.

    But O, even if you cling to your narrative which I've disproven, it still makes republicans flaming lying hypocrites about deficits. Again, both sides do it is just your way of trying to not hold them accountable. I think you don't hold them accountable because you'd have to admit they were purposely trying to sabotage the economy.
    Are you really this thick?
    I mean honestly, I really want to know.

    You tout that the stimulus like its some sort of damning proof against the republicans, when not everyone on both sides were completely aligned on those decisions. The fact that a stimulus even got through on majority neither proves, nor disproves either of us. Not to mention the stimulus packages were nothing more then publicity.

    I am trying to be as general with you as I can here, in hopes that this gets through your head.
    Both parties are always watching one another on their spending, and the effects the opposite party has with their own spending. Its as plane & simple as that. Why the hell are you trying to over think this, and throw hidden meanings behind everyone's actions.

    You are trying to use a truck, to hammer a single nail.

    By the way, if increasing our debt by nearly 8 trillion is to be considered lowering it. You are kind of revealing the reason you're failing to grasp the above concept.
    Don't yell at me when I present facts, just concede defeat like a normal person. Or come back with a more viable point of debate.

  6. #76
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,139

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Are you really this thick?
    I mean honestly, I really want to know.

    You tout that the stimulus like its some sort of damning proof against the republicans, when not everyone on both sides were completely aligned on those decisions. The fact that a stimulus even got through on majority neither proves, nor disproves either of us. Not to mention the stimulus packages were nothing more then publicity.

    I am trying to be as general with you as I can here, in hopes that this gets through your head.
    Both parties are always watching one another on their spending, and the effects the opposite party has with their own spending. Its as plane & simple as that. Why the hell are you trying to over think this, and throw hidden meanings behind everyone's actions.

    You are trying to use a truck, to hammer a single nail.

    By the way, if increasing our debt by nearly 8 trillion is to be considered lowering it. You are kind of revealing the reason you're failing to grasp the above concept.
    I can understand each party being suspicious... but what Republicans have done is simply unforgivable these past 8 years.

    Case in point: In 2008, President Bush called for economic stimulus in the form of rebate checks and $300 billion in FHA support.

    The voting record for the senate goes as follows.





    Yet when we realize the economy is really in free-fall, and trillions of dollars of wealth disappear, the GOP entirely opposes Obama administration stimulus.



    In reality, the GOP drew first blood by sacrificing the well being of the American people for political gain. Such stupidity is simply unforgivable.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #77
    Presidential Candidate


    Southern Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Monroe, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,591

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    The Republicans control the Senate and will until at least January 2021. You can accept that or not but you can't change it.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Are you really this thick?
    I mean honestly, I really want to know.

    You tout that the stimulus like its some sort of damning proof against the republicans, when not everyone on both sides were completely aligned on those decisions. The fact that a stimulus even got through on majority neither proves, nor disproves either of us. Not to mention the stimulus packages were nothing more then publicity.

    I am trying to be as general with you as I can here, in hopes that this gets through your head.
    Both parties are always watching one another on their spending, and the effects the opposite party has with their own spending. Its as plane & simple as that. Why the hell are you trying to over think this, and throw hidden meanings behind everyone's actions.

    You are trying to use a truck, to hammer a single nail.

    By the way, if increasing our debt by nearly 8 trillion is to be considered lowering it. You are kind of revealing the reason you're failing to grasp the above concept.
    Sorry O, you’re simply at the point that every conservative gets to when they refuse to let go of a false narrative.

    • You don’t back up your narrative
    • You simply repeat your narrative
    • You refuse to acknowledge I’ve disproven your narrative
    • You think flailing refutes my point
    • You attack something I didn’t post.

    Lets review. I’ve repeatedly asked you to provide an example. You have not. You’ve simply repeated your narrative. Dems voting for Bush’s 2008 stimulus shows they are not “deficit hawks when not in power” thus disproving your narrative. “wah wah its only publicity” is flailing and does not address the fact that I’ve disproven your narrative. and read this slowly, I said President Obama reduced the deficit. This was stated and restated in a clear straight forward manner. Yet for reasons known only to you, you’ve posted “hah, the national debt went up”.

    And here’s the best part O, even if your narrative were true (its not) it doesn’t change the fact that republicans are flaming lying hypocrites concerning deficits. I suspect that’s the thing your desperately trying to avoid admitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

  9. #79
    Sage
    Vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    The Republicans control the Senate and will until at least January 2021. You can accept that or not but you can't change it.
    er uh SD, I don’t mean to be a bother but instead of posting cryptic responses to “who knows” why not address your false statement that “dems said deficits don’t matter”. And if you're feeling up to it, can you explain your point and who it was directed at? thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredUSN View Post
    and I turn down more work than I accept to avoid hiring Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What proof is there Qaddafi ordered or financed that bombing? ......Qaddafi had the integrity to fight with his military. I don't believe he used terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You claim the economy was destroyed when Bush left office

  10. #80
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10

    Re: Republicans once railed against deficits. President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trill

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Full Title: Republicans once railed against deficits. Now President Trump's tax plan piles on more than $2 trillion in red ink




    5-6% economic growth per year would be so astounding that virtually all economists discount it entirely. So the question remains ... How can we afford the Trump tax cuts?

    On Capitol Hill, GOP Representatives and Senators shrug their shoulders and ignore the $2 trillion dollar question. They need a legislative-political win today ... regardless of the cost to future generations.
    I think the bigger question is, how much longer can America survive the tax and spend mentality?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •