Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 368

Thread: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

  1. #141
    Advisor, aka "bub" sear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Adirondack Park, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    896

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    House GOP Tax Reform Plan
    There's absolutely nothing to worry about here.

    The proof of the Republican party's superlative competence is:

    they control the house
    they control the senate
    the control the exec

    And they deftly exercised this pervasive control to make good on President Trump's promise to repeal & replace Obamacare.

    I'm so glad they got that done so quickly and efficiently. Trumpcare is clearly vastly superior to the Obamacare it replaced.

    So when the GOP tackles tax reform, I'm sure they'll accomplish results at least as satisfactory.

    And I would like to take this opportunity to thank our Republican leaders:
    - Trump
    - Ryan
    - McConnell
    - Roberts
    for their reliable, conservative stewardship.
    "The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is." Mary Pettibone Poole

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,479

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    LOL, because they can afford to! The only purpose of taxes is to fund government, and it can't be on the backs of the poor because they have no money.

    Besides, anyone who is wealthy in this era doesn't have a lot to complain about. We have a system designed to and delivering wealth to the top at a rate never before seen in human history, and leaving out a whole lot of people at the bottom. Them paying a bigger share to sustain that system is.....FAIR!
    The poor do have money. The IRS reported 2 million tax returns with 1-10k in AGI, accounting for 400 million in income. Furthermore, the system doesnt deliver wealth to anyone but the poor. People EARN wealth, then the govt takes it, and gives it to others, most of which is the poor. 75% of all spending is wealth redistribution from those who earn more to those who earn less.

  3. #143
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,479

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Ummm no..

    Please explain how you benefit from patent protection. In fact.. you are probably HURT by patent protection. Without patent protection you would have multiple products to choose from and a lower price.

    And no. they are not indirect benefits. I benefit monetarily because of roads 800 miles away. I benefit monetarily from million dollar contracts that are enforced because I have a judicial system available to me.

    I seriously doubt you do.
    I already said. The products I buy exist because their creators can patent and own their IP.

    promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
    And you dont benefit directly from roads 800 miles away or million dollar contracts. You benefit indirectly, the same as me, in that you can get things shipped to you, or you can have criminals off the streets, or you can you have your freedoms protected because of the judicial system. Rich or Poor, we all have the same benefit from administration of justice.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,479

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    We already had the debate over fossil fuels. The consensus: They are pollutants.
    And yet, we're still here debating it. That doesnt indicate consensus.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,867

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The Laffer curve actually shows that if you cut tax rates when they are already too low then you get less revenue. The Laffer curve is ALWAYS right.
    "Too low" is a meaningless description - what is "too low" exactly? And of course the Laffer Curve is "ALWAYS right" because it is just a graph that demonstrates that according to theory, when you cut rates revenue will almost always decrease, but sometimes when you cut rates, revenue might in fact increase! So it's like saying a coin with Yes on one side, No on the other will always give you the correct answer to a Yes or No question! Brilliant! Just flip the coin after the fact to the correct side, and voila, it's never wrong!

    For making decisions in the real world, the Laffer Curve is worthless except as propaganda for right wingers who have to pretend they care about deficits. In real life we are on the left side of the curve, and tax rate cuts reduce revenue. But that's no fun, so the Laffer Curve gives dishonest hacks cover to cut taxes and fool the gullible that there is no need to make any sacrifices or hard choices, like cut spending, because there just might be a free lunch, a Tax Santa Clause, and you can both cut tax rates AND increase spending cause....magic!

  6. #146
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The poor do have money. The IRS reported 2 million tax returns with 1-10k in AGI, accounting for 400 million in income. Furthermore, the system doesnt deliver wealth to anyone but the poor. People EARN wealth, then the govt takes it, and gives it to others, most of which is the poor. 75% of all spending is wealth redistribution from those who earn more to those who earn less.
    You say "wealth redistribution" like it was a bad thing. The idea that we should tax those with great wealth so that we can provide subsistence for those with too little is a long-standing American principle.

    Below shows the wealth distribution in the U.S.

    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,867

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The poor do have money. The IRS reported 2 million tax returns with 1-10k in AGI, accounting for 400 million in income.
    OK, that's $200 a return. Good luck funding the military on that, even if you seize it all. That's roughly the cost to buy (but not operate) just a single F-22.

    Furthermore, the system doesnt deliver wealth to anyone but the poor. People EARN wealth, then the govt takes it, and gives it to others, most of which is the poor. 75% of all spending is wealth redistribution from those who earn more to those who earn less.
    The distribution of earnings depends on the rules of the game, and the rules as they exist today, put in place by our government, deliver the vast majority of the wealth to a tiny few at the top. That's not an accident.

    But let's pretend it is an accident. Doesn't matter. The country doesn't exist to deliver massive wealth to a few at the top and leave the rest of the country out of economic growth, productivity growth, etc. So to preserve the VERY lucrative economic system that for whatever reason DOES deliver the vast majority to a tiny few at the top, government does what it must and keeps the peace and pitchforks at bay by redistributing some of that wealth to the rest of us. When it does not, when you have a handful of extremely wealthy, and the poor not sharing in that prosperity, you have massive protests, deadly strikes, work stoppages, and frequently the people elect (when allowed) leaders who forcibly actually seize the wealth from the wealthy (not just part of their reported income), and upset the whole system. You can look at our own history for examples, or look around the world for MANY more.

  8. #148
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    31,518

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    You say "wealth redistribution" like it was a bad thing. The idea that we should tax those with great wealth so that we can provide subsistence for those with too little is a long-standing American principle.

    Below shows the wealth distribution in the U.S.

    That system is far better than a mandate for a "living wage" which many propose as a (partial?) solution. As far as that being a long-standing American principle, much less a federal power, I disagree since even social security did not start until 1935 and is funded by a flat tax.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #149
    Sage
    Moderate Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    14,892

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    "Too low" is a meaningless description - what is "too low" exactly? And of course the Laffer Curve is "ALWAYS right" because it is just a graph that demonstrates that according to theory, when you cut rates revenue will almost always decrease, but sometimes when you cut rates, revenue might in fact increase! So it's like saying a coin with Yes on one side, No on the other will always give you the correct answer to a Yes or No question! Brilliant! Just flip the coin after the fact to the correct side, and voila, it's never wrong!

    For making decisions in the real world, the Laffer Curve is worthless except as propaganda for right wingers who have to pretend they care about deficits. In real life we are on the left side of the curve, and tax rate cuts reduce revenue. But that's no fun, so the Laffer Curve gives dishonest hacks cover to cut taxes and fool the gullible that there is no need to make any sacrifices or hard choices, like cut spending, because there just might be a free lunch, a Tax Santa Clause, and you can both cut tax rates AND increase spending cause....magic!
    It takes a while to figure that out and sometimes you just don't know until you change tax rates and observe what happens.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,542

    Re: House GOP Tax Reform Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    They're the same thing - the only difference is how the tax benefit is calculated. If we allowed homeowners to 'deduct' solar panels instead of capitalizing them as part of the home, it has the same effect as a credit, just the amount may be different or calculated differently. Same thing with special corporate 'write offs' versus 'credits.'
    No they are not.

    Because a credit can be a net INCOME.. as is the earned income credit.

    While a deduction merely reduces the amount you pay in taxes. Big difference.


    and a homeowner CAN deduct solar panels.

    and in cases homeowners can deduct solar panels.. AND get a credit as well.

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •