Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

  1. #1
    Guru
    aociswundumho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,884

    Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Here's a hilarious twitter thread explaining why government regulation + local jackboots = a much poorer and less free country.

    https://twitter.com/hcsosheriff/stat...10945911558147


    Occupational licensing has always been a racket:



  2. #2
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,082

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    Here's a hilarious twitter thread explaining why government regulation + local jackboots = a much poorer and less free country.

    https://twitter.com/hcsosheriff/stat...10945911558147


    Occupational licensing has always been a racket:


    I don’t know. If I need brain surgery and someone is going to open my skull and poke around in there, I want to see that license on the wall.

  3. #3
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    29,764

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    I don’t know. If I need brain surgery and someone is going to open my skull and poke around in there, I want to see that license on the wall.
    I think licensing overall has many positive aspects, but sometimes the requirements are unnecessarily restrictive in some aspects for wrong reasons, commonly as a result of professional greed on the part of those already licensed.

  4. #4
    Sage
    bomberfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,768

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    Here's a hilarious twitter thread explaining why government regulation + local jackboots = a much poorer and less free country.

    https://twitter.com/hcsosheriff/stat...10945911558147


    Occupational licensing has always been a racket:


    Friedman would know a thing or two about jackboots. Go ahead and go to an unlicensed pharmacist and see where that gets ya.


    See also the reason twump cultists need to play little “hypocrisy” games is they know they are in deep **** so the only way they can pull off any victory is by trying to make their opponents look just as bad as they are. Its the never play defense tactic

  5. #5
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    29,764

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by bomberfox View Post
    Friedman would know a thing or two about jackboots. Go ahead and go to an unlicensed pharmacist and see where that gets ya.
    Licensing provides many advantages, guarantees a certain level of experience and training and so forth, but excessive licensing or unnecessary requirements for licenses can also be bad for the economy.

    California, for example, requires tree trimmers in business to have four years of occupational training. If an illegal alien cuts down a neighbor's tree for $100 he can go to jail for not having a license. He may not be jailed for being in the country illegally but in some states he had better make sure he arrives with a pocket full of money if he expects to do work for a living, because if he performs a service for which he is not licensed he can face serious consequences. California even licenses lawn care workers. That is government licensing run amok.

    Why Occupational Licensing Is Unjust, Unneeded, and Increases Income Inequality | Lawrence J. McQuillan

  6. #6
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,150

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    I think licensing overall has many positive aspects, but sometimes the requirements are unnecessarily restrictive in some aspects for wrong reasons, commonly as a result of professional greed on the part of those already licensed.
    Agreed!

    When it gets to the point that a license is required to do certain braiding of hair, or building of coffins, and so many other ordinary things, it's gone too far.

  7. #7
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,082

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    Agreed!

    When it gets to the point that a license is required to do certain braiding of hair, or building of coffins, and so many other ordinary things, it's gone too far.
    But in the OP, Friedman starts out by attacking the licensing of medicine, not hair-braiding. That really makes me question his sanity.

    I have never really understood these extreme conservative positions. But I always assumed that it was because I needed to study them more. But listening to this talk above, I’m starting to realize the positions may really be as patently ridiculous and crazy as they sound.

  8. #8
    Sage
    bomberfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,768

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    But in the OP, Friedman starts out by attacking the licensing of medicine, not hair-braiding. That really makes me question his sanity.

    I have never really understood these extreme conservative positions. But I always assumed that it was because I needed to study them more. But listening to this talk above, I’m starting to realize the positions may really be as patently ridiculous and crazy as they sound.
    I used to pour all over their literature. They think property rights are the basis for human rights which is why the chicago boys were able to declare victory under Pinochet’s nightmarish regime. Not only was it a hellhole of savagery but it was also economically crappy too for wage earners.


    See also the reason twump cultists need to play little “hypocrisy” games is they know they are in deep **** so the only way they can pull off any victory is by trying to make their opponents look just as bad as they are. Its the never play defense tactic

  9. #9
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,082

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by bomberfox View Post
    I used to pour all over their literature. They think property rights are the basis for human rights which is why the chicago boys were able to declare victory under Pinochet’s nightmarish regime. Not only was it a hellhole of savagery but it was also economically crappy too for wage earners.
    Yeah I know. Below is a cute little spoof of their position. I used to think this was too much of an oversimplification and caricature of their position. But it's actually not that far off the mark from what they are advocating. It's funny because, like all good comedy, it's uncomfortably close to the truth:

    L.P.D.: Libertarian Police Department | The New Yorker

  10. #10
    Guru
    aociswundumho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Milton Friedman was warning us about occupational licensing since the early 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    But in the OP, Friedman starts out by attacking the licensing of medicine, not hair-braiding. That really makes me question his sanity.
    He explains why at 3:25 - it's because it's the most difficult one to attack.

    Occupational licensing does the same thing unions do: they create labor cartels, which is great for the members of the cartel, but they are really bad for the rest of society.

    I'm not going to go into detail here, but there are many, many ways to assess quality beside licensing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •