Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 222

Thread: Why America needs a hate speech law

  1. #51
    User AlegroLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    11-07-19 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    4

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Free Speech Absolutist here.

    I have one question to ask to people who want to outlaw hate speech. If these people - their arguments, their viewpoints - are incorrect, then why are you afraid of their views? Surely, if you are correct, then the easiest way to prevent these bigots from spreading their ideologies (which I for one find disgusting) is to challenge them in open debate. Take the racists, take the homophobes, take these people who have locked themselves in their echo chambers of false information, and have them try to defend these stances against somebody who even remotely knows what they're talking about. More often than not, I think you'll find that their hateful rhetoric is not backed up with sufficient evidence, and as such they will falter and fail, exposing the glaring flaws in their logic. The best way to prevent hate, I think, is to expose the lack of coherent reasoning behind said hate, rather than suppressing it.
    I'm a Conservative Libertarian. That's all.

  2. #52
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    222,833

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    I agree that a hate speach law would be absolutely wrong.

    However, I see a very strong need for a law that says you can't lie about science. That is you cannot present something you know is false as science.

    That would sort out the global warming debate.
    It would destroy the anti gun movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; a shotgun IS a rifle; it uses a different load.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    You know that Reagan signed the Brady Bill - right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The only "sport" that most gun owners participate in is suicide or murder.

  3. #53
    Professor
    JMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    People who support hate speech do so because they feel entitled to hate speech. They do not do so because they support free speech. Otherwise they'd be first in line to defend the rights of feminists, civil rights activists, trans rights activists, etc. when they speak out.
    Possibly true of people who "support hate speech", but what of people who just oppose hate speech laws?

  4. #54
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pindostan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,474

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    People who support hate speech do so because they feel entitled to hate speech. They do not do so because they support free speech. Otherwise they'd be first in line to defend the rights of feminists, civil rights activists, trans rights activists, etc. when they speak out.
    Did the ACLU support "hate speech" in National Socialist Party of America v. Village of Skokie? No, it did not. What it supported was this concept:

    If we protect hate speech, it is because we choose to do so. But why would we do that?

    The reason is that Americans believe it is safer to entrust people with access to ideas than to entrust the government with the power to decide which ideas we may express or hear. In other words, the cure for bad ideas government censorship is worse than the disease itself.

    This is why we protect hate speech
    I don't trust government to wash my socks, so I sure don't trust it to decide which ideas are fit for discussion and which ones aren't. If we agreed on everything, then why would we even bother having a First Amendment?
    Нава́льный

  5. #55
    Sage
    Bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    On the Silk Road
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,166
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Why America needs a hate speech law
    Nah.
    Deplorable Scum

  6. #56
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,521

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    It would destroy the anti gun movement.
    I disagree but it would be good to have much more confidence in the science or statistical basis of the discussion either way.

  7. #57
    Educator HK.227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    751

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by eman623 View Post
    Since World War II, many nations have passed laws to curb the incitement of racial and religious hatred. These laws started out as protections against the kinds of anti-Semitic bigotry that gave rise to the Holocaust. We call them hate speech laws ...
    - Richard Stengal
    No we don't. We call them laws against incitement to violence.
    Countries with hate-speech laws don't punish people for incitement to violence, but for incitement to certain thoughts.

    Sometimes I get the urge to see these low-information voters get what they ask for, just to see their faces when they discover that whatever buzzwords they have adopted, will be defined in ways that surprise and amaze them, even as they are carted off to the fate they pictured for their enemies.

    But then I recall that I have on occasion opened history books with pictures in them, so I've already seen it many times...

    Hate-speech, enemies of the people, malcontents, counter-revolutionary elements, anti-social individuals. Meaningless words that only serve as alibies for the grabbing of power.
    Experience show that people who support unprincipled, easy fixes tend to end up among their first victims. The fact that they are completely unable to conceive of being targets of the laws they support, only make them more vulnerable. Meanwhile, many of the individuals they thought would be punished, know how the game is played and they are busy brushing their new uniforms and practicing new salutes. After all, totalitarian states always have a use for more scumbags, as long as one can smudge over their past affiliations.
    "Young man. This essay that you handed in is completely unacceptable! It's full of profanity, sexual innuendo, and rampant vulgarity. I am going to have to speak with your father!"
    "That's only fair. It were him what wrote it..."

  8. #58
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,584

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Would not surprise me one bit if that's what your ilk ultimately wanted to do. Nothing like following in the steps of the authoritarians of the past and oppressing scientists and intellectuals, right?
    Says the guy who wants to legally censor speech he doesn't like.

    It's a pretty easy process with you -- people you don't agree with are "fascists," and "fascists" don't get free speech rights.

    The irony of it escapes you, but you know . . .
    The only reason to be anti-libertarian is there are people you want to control that you wouldn't be able to.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,342

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Did the ACLU support "hate speech" in National Socialist Party of America v. Village of Skokie? No, it did not. What it supported was this concept:

    I don't trust government to wash my socks, so I sure don't trust it to decide which ideas are fit for discussion and which ones aren't. If we agreed on everything, then why would we even bother having a First Amendment?
    The ACLU is the only organization I have ever seen support hate speech solely because of their support for free speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  10. #60
    Guru bomberfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by eman623 View Post
    I don't support hate speech. I tolerate it. Because I want my speech to be tolerated. It's a two-way street.
    One should understand that free speech does not entitle anyone to a platform.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •