Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 222

Thread: Why America needs a hate speech law

  1. #201
    Educator COTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    So soon with the argumenta ad hominem? I would have at least expected you to put up a fight this time. Oh well.
    What am I supposed to put up a fight against? "FAIL" GIFs?

    I'm asking you for a counterargument. It's an appeal to your pride, not an attack on your person.

  2. #202
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,720

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    What am I supposed to put up a fight against? "FAIL" GIFs?

    I'm asking you for a counterargument. It's an appeal to your pride, not an attack on your person.
    You went straight to what I do for a living, right? That's nothing but a pure ad-hom. Now start convincing me that your words are worth engaging or I am going to look elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,720

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    the courts are arbiters who is correct that's their purpose. Their purpose in no way has ever been to discuss the philosophical.
    To the extent that the Constitution clearly defines something, I agree, but that does not dismiss the courts' need to define "freedom." Same with "obscenity," for instance. SCOTUS had to decide what obscenity meant, given that the Constitution is as clear as mud on that definition.

    No I know what I meant to say much better than you do.
    Now now, no need for that. We were having a healthy debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  4. #204
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    35,988

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    To the extent that the Constitution clearly defines something, I agree, but that does not dismiss the courts' need to define "freedom." Same with "obscenity," for instance. SCOTUS had to decide what obscenity meant, given that the Constitution is as clear as mud on that definition.
    no courts don't decide meanings thats philosophy. They're arbiters of legal meaning.


    Now now, no need for that. We were having a healthy debate.
    Well for future reference don't tell me what you think I mean that's called making the straw man. You can ask me what I mean. I'm pretty good at explaining what I mean. But the statement I made was absolutely true I know better of what I mean to say than you ever could possibly imagine because the things I say come from my mind.

  5. #205
    Educator COTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You went straight to what I do for a living, right? That's nothing but a pure ad-hom.
    It wasn't even an attack. It was my justification for essentially stating "You're better than this kind of reply."

    If I'm wrong, mea culpa. rolleyes2.gif

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Now start convincing me that your words are worth engaging or I am going to look elsewhere.
    Perhaps you could enlighten me as to which argument(s) in post #170 you disagree with and why?

    If you don't object to anything in #170, you've heard all I have to say here.

  6. #206
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,026

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    So when you think of hateful terms, those are the ones that first come to mind with you? I mean those are the ones you listed. You didn't mention the N-Word, Faggot, Tranny, Chinks, and so on, you know, groups that have actually been victims of institutional racism, discrimination, hate crimes, lynchings... That is rather telling about you.
    One might add the word queer to the list. However, LGBTQ includes the Q, where the Q stands for queer. The word queer can be used in two ways depending on the feeling in your heart. it is not automatic hate. The N-word is the same way. It is often used in gangs to address comrades. In this case the n-word is not being used for hate but friendship. All words have more that one meaning. You cannot just assume one programed meaning.

    The term is called hate speech, with the emotion of hate coming before the words of speech . It is not the words that matter, but what is in the heart, before one talks the words. The gang banger is not full of hate when he says n-word. It is not robotic unless you have been programmed like a robot.

    If you are angry and hateful, you can use neutral words to hurt people. It is all based on the tone of your voice and sarcasm. I can say you did a good job with sarcasm and hurt someone who is sensitive. The left has been scammed to believe words come before all emotional intent, as though we are robots, who can be triggered by programmed buzz words. Then we are to behave in a linear way even with words with two or more meanings.

  7. #207
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,966

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    So soon with the argumenta ad hominem? I would have at least expected you to put up a fight this time. Oh well.
    An argument ad hom challenges the validity of someone's argument according to something about the person rather than the reasoning of the argument. As in, what this person said can't be true because he's a terrible person (ad hom abusive), or what this person said can't be true because he's X person's brother (ad hom conditional).

    Two things are true here: COTO didn't make an ad hom argument, and if you really think he did, you don't know what an ad hom argument is.

    You frequently call things ad hom arguments which aren't (usually when you don't want to debate a substantive point). The only question is, do you know that and you're being dishonest, or do you simply do it from genuine ignorance of what an ad hom argument is?
    The only reason to be anti-libertarian is there are people you want to control that you wouldn't be able to.

  8. #208
    Sage
    ElChupacabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    The Garden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,873

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    FFS, “hate speech law” is the worst idea imaginable.
    It has the potential to be micromanaged to the point of becoming idiotic; that's one of my major concerns. The other issue is the conflation of "hate speech" with "offensive speech", and this is where I feel it can become really restrictive. Setting some general guidelines around speech which clearly presents a danger (shouting "fire" in a crowded theater etc.) makes practical sense, but when we start including subjective criteria like people's sensibilities, we enter a real gray zone which could end up being more restrictive and oppressive regardless of the good intentions. Another poster mentioned that he prefers having hate speech out in the open, and I generally agree with that sentiment. I support people's right to express themselves, even when I may abhor the message.

  9. #209
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,720

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    It wasn't even an attack. It was my justification for essentially stating "You're better than this kind of reply."

    If I'm wrong, mea culpa. rolleyes2.gif
    I'm sorry that you believe that you are entitled to talk down to me like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,976

    Re: Why America needs a hate speech law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    People who support hate speech do so because they feel entitled to hate speech. They do not do so because they support free speech. Otherwise they'd be first in line to defend the rights of feminists, civil rights activists, trans rights activists, etc. when they speak out.
    I've noticed over the years that most people who are big supporters of the phrase "free speech" don't actually support free speech. They support free speech for themselves and like minded people who promote their beliefs. They want the rest to shut up.
    O

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •