Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 186 of 186

Thread: Vapng vs Smoking

  1. #181
    Guru Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Alaska (61.5N, -149W)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,509

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Norml View Post
    Close.
    Psychological issues can cause a heart attack, and kill a person.
    Phobias, irrational fears with little or no basis in reality, can be debilitating, cause cold sweats and other maladies.
    Do not underestimate the power of the mind to affect the body.
    Mind and body are one.
    Most of us can control irrational fears, avoiding true phobias, and ill effects. Some cannot. And so it is with psychological addictions.
    I have no fear of eating Mom's apple pie. Others might. Ditto on cannabis.

    The take away on this issue is that the anti-drug crowd (that includes the DEA), makes no distinction between the two.
    They will insistently tell us cannabis is addictive, and the uninformed swallow that malarkey. Of course, there is a sense in which that is true. Half truths are half lies. In that sense, the CDC did lie.
    I'm sorry, but I do not take psychological addictions seriously. You can think you want a substance all you like, but if you physically do not then who cares? If that causes them to injure themselves because they are mentally weak, then once again Darwin's theory of natural selection is vindicated. Unlike ethanol and nicotine, that create very real physical addictions, THC does not. Some people may crave that buzz, or think they need to get stoned, but the reality is that it is only in their very weak minds.

  2. #182
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    01-16-20 @ 07:59 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    211

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I'm sorry, but I do not take psychological addictions seriously. You can think you want a substance all you like, but if you physically do not then who cares? If that causes them to injure themselves because they are mentally weak, then once again Darwin's theory of natural selection is vindicated. Unlike ethanol and nicotine, that create very real physical addictions, THC does not. Some people may crave that buzz, or think they need to get stoned, but the reality is that it is only in their very weak minds.
    You are missing my point.
    I have been following the anti-drug propaganda and rhetoric for a long time. I was dropping acid in 1968. My first use of an illicit drug. No pot to be found, so we decided to go big. (at that time use of LSD was a misdemeanor, like running a stop light) A memorable trip to be sure, and still my drug of choice, even though it is seldom available within my current group of friends. Wild mushrooms also enjoyable.

    People who know nothing, will quote government sources that say cannabis is addictive. Saying it is not, is a losing battle, because, in a certain sense, it is.

    We are slowing winning the battle, by using truth.

    An appeal to authority is fallacious, but can be convincing, especially to a weak mind.

    I hope you are familiar with Jack Herer's book, The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

    If someone tells you cannabis is addictive, and you say "No it is not." , you will be wrong. They need to know that it is addictive in the same sense as ice cream, chocolate, and thanksgiving turkey.
    Sugar addiction causes more damage to health than any widespread usage of THC possibly could. That may be worth pointing out.

    That is my point.

    Cheers

  3. #183
    Guru Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Alaska (61.5N, -149W)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,509

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Norml View Post
    You are missing my point.
    I have been following the anti-drug propaganda and rhetoric for a long time. I was dropping acid in 1968. My first use of an illicit drug. No pot to be found, so we decided to go big. (at that time use of LSD was a misdemeanor, like running a stop light) A memorable trip to be sure, and still my drug of choice, even though it is seldom available within my current group of friends. Wild mushrooms also enjoyable.

    People who know nothing, will quote government sources that say cannabis is addictive. Saying it is not, is a losing battle, because, in a certain sense, it is.

    We are slowing winning the battle, by using truth.

    An appeal to authority is fallacious, but can be convincing, especially to a weak mind.

    I hope you are familiar with Jack Herer's book, The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

    If someone tells you cannabis is addictive, and you say "No it is not." , you will be wrong. They need to know that it is addictive in the same sense as ice cream, chocolate, and thanksgiving turkey.
    Sugar addiction causes more damage to health than any widespread usage of THC possibly could. That may be worth pointing out.

    That is my point.

    Cheers
    I read with great interest the recommendations of The National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse (a.k.a. Shafer Commission) that Nixon establish in 1972. It was pointed out in that report that marijuana was only psychologically addicting and the recommendation was that marijuana should be decriminalized. Nixon chose to ignore is own commission's report and increased his war against drugs.

    Marijuana is not psychically addicting, and anyone who says otherwise is uneducated and flat out wrong.

  4. #184
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    01-16-20 @ 07:59 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    211

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I read with great interest the recommendations of The National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse (a.k.a. Shafer Commission) that Nixon establish in 1972. It was pointed out in that report that marijuana was only psychologically addicting and the recommendation was that marijuana should be decriminalized. Nixon chose to ignore is own commission's report and increased his war against drugs.

    Marijuana is not psychically addicting, and anyone who says otherwise is uneducated and flat out wrong.
    Can you provide any source, not an individual, but a government organization, pubic or private commission, DARE, any source that purports to be knowledgeable on the subject, that says it is physically addictive?
    I can not recall ever seeing such a thing, in the last 50 years or so. More than one would nice.

  5. #185
    Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    I was reading this piece this morning talking about how the state of Michigan is banning all flavored vaping materials, except tobacco flavor; several other cities have enacted similar measures but it got me thinking. There's been some talk on the hazards of vaping - there's even been a death attributed to vaping.

    So, I'm wondering why, if these entities are so attuned to the health concerns of their constituents, why only go after vaping. Don't far more people get sick and die from smoking tobacco? Why not ban the sales of cigarettes and other tobacco products. The percentage of people who smoke has been declining for a long time- why not just cut it to zero and be done with it?

    Other than for about two days in Navy boot camp I've never smoked or vaped so I plead ignorance as to the attraction addictiveness.


    I hate to be cynical (no I don't) but is it possible that to our elected representatives tax revenues from the sale of cigarettes are more important than our health?


    Thoughts?
    Banning them is stupid. If people want to kill themselves, let them.

  6. #186
    Conservatarian Guru
    Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,753

    Re: Vapng vs Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Tlrmln View Post
    Banning them is stupid. If people want to kill themselves, let them.
    I agree, as long as they are considerate to us non-smokers and clean up after themselves.
    Peace is not the absence of war
    Peace is the absence of the threat of war

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •