Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 142

Thread: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

  1. #121
    pleb nekrodev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    05-20-19 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    that process has been going on since the first hominid figured out how to use the sharp edge of a rock to skin his prey while others less smart were still using their teeth.

    And I would defy you to find that many people in the US incapable of using a computer. In fact.. it could be argued that the computer has made it EASIER for people with low IQ's to be employable.

    Think about it.. how many people make change in their heads now? Heck.. now computers sport the pictures of the items that you are ordering.. and staff just poke the picture.. instead of having to tally the prices on a sheet of paper.

    You have computers that are reading the bar codes on items, and the teller doesn't have to be able to even read well to input the desired amount.
    No one doubts that CONVENIENCE is good, but the problem is that computers and other new technology require training, and are much easier to learn and use if you're already familiar with similar things already - which isn't usually going to be the case.

    Remember the big fuss around Hillary Clinton's plan to have coal miners learn to be computer programmers and ****? Like, could some of them learn that? Probably, but not most of them, and virtually none of them even wanted to.

    There are still low-level jobs for now, mostly in customer service, that can still be done by people with low IQs and little knowledge, but those jobs have been drying up as well.

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,789

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    No one doubts that CONVENIENCE is good, but the problem is that computers and other new technology require training, and are much easier to learn and use if you're already familiar with similar things already - which isn't usually going to be the case.

    Remember the big fuss around Hillary Clinton's plan to have coal miners learn to be computer programmers and ****? Like, could some of them learn that? Probably, but not most of them, and virtually none of them even wanted to.

    There are still low-level jobs for now, mostly in customer service, that can still be done by people with low IQs and little knowledge, but those jobs have been drying up as well.
    I wasn't talking about convenience. I was talking about how computers have made it possible that people with lower math skills etc..can still be gainfully employed.

    As pointed out.. a person who cannot do math in their head..and could not make change.. can still run a till because the computer will do it for them.

    And yes.. I remember the fuss about Hillary Clinton. And she wasn't too bright about how to handle that.

    The point is that coal is a finite resource and it will run out.. and so the jobs will have to change. Just like at one time being a whaler, or building Conestoga wagons.. was a way to make a living. Not so anymore. Certainly on a much less scale than it was in the past.


    The fact is.. as I point out.. computers can make people with low IQ's and little knowledge.. still able to function and be productive.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  3. #123
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    05-19-19 @ 05:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    This was common sense for a long time ( Post–World War II economic expansion - Wikipedia ), but they seemed to forget all about it by the time Reagan got into office, and it's now like an ancient fable, something we knew is absolutely not true and couldn't possibly be. This, despite the fact that other countries all over the world do it. *shrug*

    Tax and rich and corporations more, implement stronger protections for workers, and incentivize growth and progress, rather than just retaining the status quo.
    My personal opinion is reagan started the decline of the middle class and the push for money going from the bottom to the top and the republicans have carried on that mantra ever since.

    Close all the loopholes that corporations use to shield their money. No offshore accounts etc. etc. A progressive taxing system. Health care and a living wage relative to where you live. Democratic socialism where the workers have more say in the system. Unions. There is no reason the top ten percent of america should control the other ninety. That in my opinion is not a working democracy.
    When I stop answering you, there's a reason.......repeat, When I stop answering you, there's a reason.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,789

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    My personal opinion is reagan started the decline of the middle class and the push for money going from the bottom to the top and the republicans have carried on that mantra ever since.
    Because of course their were no rich people before Reagan.

    By the way..the income tax system is definitely more progressive now..than it was under Reagan.

    In fact.. taxes as a whole are probably more progressive now than it was under Reagan.
    So we should put you down as supporting putting GPS trackers in everyone to "save lives"?
    Vegas Giants: "Sounds fantastic!"

  5. #125
    Professor

    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,605

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    The real issue is what kind of regulation. I am an environmentalist but even I shake my head at some of these idiotic environmental laws that some nut decided to pass and another jerk enforced. There has to be reasonable regulations and the problem is that regulators are not usually experts in the area they regulate. Let me give you an example of the type of regulation that should be thrown out the window. If an ISP wants to bury cable along a freeway, they must permit it, do an EIR, hire some Indians to watch them dig and run through an incredible number of hurdles to dig a trench along a right of way along a highway or road. For instance, a friend of mine is a consulting engineer in my industry. They had to get an EIR for digging a trench using a ditch witch that goes about one mile an hour. This trench was along the road just outside the maximum area of the future roadway. Well, a weird butterfly exists there that could be killed by the ditch witch. Never mind that the frigging road had cars going 60 mph all day long killing the stupid butterflies, no. This ditch witch might kill one. This held up stuff and cost 10 grand to get. Now this is absurd.

    But on the other hand, a logging road over a pristine river that holds native trout, salmon and steelhead is most definitely at risk if the road is done improperly. So in this case I am fine with making an EIR.

    The first case is one all of us, left and right, would agree is really stupid. The second one might separate us a bit but we all know dirt roads erode, that streams need clear, clean water and that all of us want to go fish that river or know it is healthy.
    Your mother swims after cruise ships.

  6. #126
    Educator bomberfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,100

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    People that refer to the top rates should clarify we are usually talking about top marginal tax rates.

  7. #127
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    28,568

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    just as henry ford put buggy whip makers out of business

    your point?

    technology will continue to march on

    some jobs will be created with it, and some jobs lost

    the good paying white collar jobs of the 50's for pushing a button are gone....you have to have skills....

    they can be educational or vocational but you better be able to do something that the average joe cant do if you want to make a decent living

    supply and demand is still the way our system works...and i dont see that changing anytime soon
    Henry Ford also employed a lot of people and paid them a relatively high wage. Today's tech queens? They hire Indians and pay them terribly.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "To exercise pressure upon the indigent and the destitute for the sake of gain, and to gather one's profit out of the need of another, is condemned by all laws, human and divine." - Pope Leo XIII

  8. #128
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,047

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    My personal opinion is reagan started the decline of the middle class and the push for money going from the bottom to the top and the republicans have carried on that mantra ever since.

    Close all the loopholes that corporations use to shield their money. No offshore accounts etc. etc. A progressive taxing system. Health care and a living wage relative to where you live. Democratic socialism where the workers have more say in the system. Unions. There is no reason the top ten percent of america should control the other ninety. That in my opinion is not a working democracy.
    we dont live in a democracy

    never have, never will

    and if you want a socialistic society move to one....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,934

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Same old stale leftist talking points . Corporations
    make all the money but keep it for themselves., exploiting the workers, by paying them peanuts.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    05-16-19 @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,228

    Re: Why shouldn't capitalism be better regulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    Because of course their were no rich people before Reagan.

    By the way..the income tax system is definitely more progressive now..than it was under Reagan.

    In fact.. taxes as a whole are probably more progressive now than it was under Reagan.
    I think that is an incorrect assumption.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with either racism or sexism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    In fact, I speculate had Antifa not been there, there would have been zero deaths at that (Charlottesville) event.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •