Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 221 to 229 of 229

Thread: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

  1. #221
    Always gets his shnook!

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I’m with the author: I too hope that the “lemonade” here is that perhaps the Trump administration is exposing institutional flaws that will lead to the scaling back of the Executive and the reformation and restoration of the Congress.
    That would be healthy, but if I may, I'd like to address the "driving us nuts" part, at least in reference to Trump:

    People seem to think this is about Trump being a Republican.
    The man was a vile pig when he was a Democrat, and if he ran and won as a Democrat, I'd still hate him and I might have to consider leaving the party, seriously.
    There is a reason WHY Trump didn't even consider running as a Democrat however.

    If another Republican, almost ANY other Republican, had won...I wouldn't have been happy but I wouldn't be clawing the ceiling.
    I would have griped and ruled it a survivable event.

    The only other person I can think of that would drive me to the brink of sheer madness would be Ted Cruz, but I knew there wasn't a chance in Hell of him ever getting elected.
    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a big Trump fan. I did vote for him, and I'll vote for him again in 2020.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    78,161

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    The War Powers Act restrains POTUS, not empowers him.

    War Powers Act | United States [1973] | Britannica.com

    Congress itself has never enforced the act. The government loves war these days. Congress does not obey its own legislation, raising the rhetorical question why should anybody obey laws?
    It absolutely empowers the President... what are you on about? It allows unilateral military action that can and has forced the hand of Congress...

  3. #223
    Advisor Prof_Lunaphiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    08-19-19 @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    370

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    There is a reason WHY Trump didn't even consider running as a Democrat however.
    Yeah, he knew the Democratic National Committee was a corrupt primary system.

    We all know that the powers are with the rich people - right?

    Like the rich people, Trump, had an inside track with the Democrat politicians - there are photographs of Trump with the Clintons. Hillary probably promised Trump in 2008 that she was going to win, because she had the dirt on Obama - she told Trump that Obama was not a natural born citizen.

    He believed it!

    He realized she lied to him, and he realized that there was something amiss about what was going on in the Obama Administration; and so did a lot of other people, mostly conservative voters.
    Last edited by Prof_Lunaphiles; 05-02-19 at 04:20 PM.
    The founders only had one simple formula for organizing government, and a relatively limited supply of paper, ink, endurance; and basically, parameters of simple designs that would engage the few literate citizens of 1787. We need to have a constitutional convention that gathers the diversity of people and technology that the founders could not gather.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    18,329

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by OlNate View Post
    This is actually a fantastic point, I agree with all of it, great post. Unfortunately, the power of the cult of personality that Trump has created has driven a division that far exceeds what a president should ever be able to do. When folks hate each other over which political party they support, something's wrong. Disagree, sure, it's been that way forever...but the hate I see, and correct me if I'm wrong, between supporters of different leanings is out of control. My honest prayer for you guys is that the next president you get is mind numbingly boring...you guys could use the break.
    We tried Romney and y'all still made him out to be Hitler so I really don't see that as an honest statement or, at the very least, a false assessment of what the left does to even a very moderate person.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  5. #225
    Sage
    Fishking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    18,329

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I’m with the author: I too hope that the “lemonade” here is that perhaps the Trump administration is exposing institutional flaws that will lead to the scaling back of the Executive and the reformation and restoration of the Congress.
    The Vice President also used to be whoever came in second, meaning it was usually the opposition party it gave more of a semblance of balance, even in the executive branch.
    “There are no self-proclaimed villains, only regiments of self-proclaimed saints. Victorious historians rule where good or evil lies.” ― Glen Cook, Chronicles of the Black Company

  6. #226
    Sage
    OlNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    13,485

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishking View Post
    We tried Romney and y'all still made him out to be Hitler so I really don't see that as an honest statement or, at the very least, a false assessment of what the left does to even a very moderate person.
    Y'all? hehe...I'm Canadian, man, can't pin that on me. Statement stands. :P
    Life's too short...

  7. #227
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,008

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    cut down to size and with reduced benefits, may be then they'll serve we the people instead of trying to rule us
    I would prefer their pay and any benefits and even office expenses paid for by the various districts or states that elect said Representatives or Senators.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #228
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,667

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    That would be healthy, but if I may, I'd like to address the "driving us nuts" part, at least in reference to Trump:

    People seem to think this is about Trump being a Republican.
    The man was a vile pig when he was a Democrat, and if he ran and won as a Democrat, I'd still hate him and I might have to consider leaving the party, seriously.
    There is a reason WHY Trump didn't even consider running as a Democrat however.

    If another Republican, almost ANY other Republican, had won...I wouldn't have been happy but I wouldn't be clawing the ceiling.
    I would have griped and ruled it a survivable event.

    The only other person I can think of that would drive me to the brink of sheer madness would be Ted Cruz, but I knew there wasn't a chance in Hell of him ever getting elected.
    Never say "never." Trump's election is a lesson in this. I don't think anything will ever surprise me again--anything is possible.

  9. #229
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    25,347

    Re: "Is the Presidency Driving Us Nuts?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It absolutely empowers the President... what are you on about? It allows unilateral military action that can and has forced the hand of Congress...
    If you bother to read Article II of the US Constitution, you will discover that POTUS is there empowered as C-in-C. If you bother to read a bit of history, you would discover that FDR made the point in the last century that POTUS can wage war, his words, but that only Congress can declare war.

    WPA made it clear that regarding lawful military actions taken by POTUS without the advice and consent of Congress must be justified and explained at some point in time. Clearly you have not even read the law.

    Not to worry, Congress has never used it. A typical character of Congress.

    Indeed, all Congress can offer is legal sophistry in the form of AUMF, a document that thinks like you in utterly ignoring the words of Article II of USC.

    Ignorance abounds!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •