Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Constitutional Rights -

  1. #61
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,155

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    Yet another Replicant who never graduated from high-school or took a Civics Course.

    The fact that the Electoral College, because it avoids the rule of one-person-cone-vote, is un-democratic. It is a patent "manipulation of the popular-vote" that weights voting according to an anachronistic method which, along with gerrymandering, makes America the least "democratic" nation on earth ...
    More Trumpian hyperbole on your part. I learned in Civics that due to the great compromise, the House of Representatives was determined by the votes of each Congressional District, the Senate was determined by the State Legislature of each State, and that the President and Vice President were determined by the Electoral College, the method of selecting voters being determined by each state. I learned that the powers of Congress were enumerated in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution and as enacted in the 10th Amendment to the Constitution, the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

    Which parts didn't you learn in civics class? Which parts of what you quoted of me, and did not counter, are you wrong about?

    Let's see if you can actually make a counter argument where you point out disagreement in what I wrote, instead of repeating the same non-applicable arithmetic. Otherwise, you are a waste of my time and apparently others.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  2. #62
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,155

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Resister View Post
    And Lafayette asked me if I took civics in high school. Hopefully you set him straight.
    I have no idea if you took civics in high school, I haven't read any of your posts.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  3. #63
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    589

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I have no idea if you took civics in high school, I haven't read any of your posts.
    Since you and I agree that Lafayette is wrong, it must be predicated upon a mutual understanding that we learned from somewhere.

  4. #64
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,894

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Giver View Post
    America is a constitutional republic.
    Maybe once upon a time, but today America is a fascist oligarchy that uses military aggression frequently, with the disparity in wealth growing wider by the week.

  5. #65
    Student Indian Giver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    174

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    It is also a democracy.

    Evidently, you are unaware of the definition from here: a system of government in which citizens exercise power directly or elect representatives from among themselves to form a governing body, such as a congress or parliament.
    That is a republic, NOT a democracy.

    The Electoral College system was designed specifically to safeguard against the pitfalls of rampant unchecked democracy.

    It works.
    "What a thrill it will be to die in the electric chair! It will be the supreme thrill - the only one I haven't tried!"

    - Albert Fish

  6. #66
    Guru


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    France
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Giver View Post
    That is a republic, NOT a democracy.

    The Electoral College system was designed specifically to safeguard against the pitfalls of rampant unchecked democracy.

    It works.
    Children will play with words.

    The US is both a democracy and a republic. But the EC is a pathetic inversion of American "democracy" because it is a perversion of the popular-vote.

    The pure, numeric popular-vote is the ONLY truly democratic and representative electoral mechanism. Meaning what simply? S/he who gets the most votes wins the office!

    That happens in most elections in the US - EXCEPT ONE!

    The vote for the presidency - making the presidential vote a perversion of democracy* ...

    *Which also happens to be a "republic".
    Definition of "republic": a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
    Last edited by Lafayette; 08-10-17 at 12:31 AM.
    Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them; then neither persons nor property will be safe. (Frederick Douglass)

  7. #67
    Guru


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    France
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    More Trumpian hyperbole on your part. I learned in Civics that due to the great compromise, the House of Representatives was determined by the votes of each Congressional District, the Senate was determined by the State Legislature of each State, and that the President and Vice President were determined by the Electoral College, the method of selecting voters being determined by each state. I learned that the powers of Congress were enumerated in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution and as enacted in the 10th Amendment to the Constitution, the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

    Which parts didn't you learn in civics class? Which parts of what you quoted of me, and did not counter, are you wrong about?

    Let's see if you can actually make a counter argument where you point out disagreement in what I wrote, instead of repeating the same non-applicable arithmetic. Otherwise, you are a waste of my time and apparently others.
    Great Compromise me arse.

    The southern states refused to pass the Constitution if there was no preferential vote by an "Electoral College". The population of the southern states was much less than the northern-states, and they were afraid that a popular-vote would elect a PotUS who abolished slavery. (Five of the first seven presidents of the US were slave-owners. See here.)

    Which did finally happen under Lincoln and started the Civil War.

    Did that war change anything? Not that much - from here:
    Among racial and ethnic groups, African Americans had the highest poverty rate, 27.4 percent, followed by Hispanics at 26.6 percent and whites at 9.9 percent. 45.8 percent of young black children (under age 6) live in poverty, compared to 14.5 percent of white children.
    Were MLK to return from the dead today, he'd cry himself a river ...
    Last edited by Lafayette; 08-10-17 at 12:48 AM.
    Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them; then neither persons nor property will be safe. (Frederick Douglass)

  8. #68
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,155

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    Great Compromise me arse.

    The southern states refused to pass the Constitution if there was no preferential vote by an "Electoral College". The population of the southern states was much less than the northern-states, and they were afraid that a popular-vote would elect a PotUS who abolished slavery. (Five of the first seven presidents of the US were slave-owners. See here.)

    Which did finally happen under Lincoln and started the Civil War.

    Did that war change anything? Not that much - from here:

    Were MLK to return from the dead today, he'd cry himself a river ...
    Presidents could not abolish slavery, just as Uncle Sam can't change the Electoral College. The Great Compromise wasn't about the Electoral College, it was about representation in the House and Senate. That is why Congress is described in Article #1. You should go back to your high school and slap your civics teacher.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  9. #69
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    119

    Re: Constitutional Rights -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    False! See here from "FactCheck.org": Trump's Fanciful Iran Negotiation - excerpt:

    Trump lied his way into the presidency, and an Electoral College defied the Popular-Vote and allowed a defeated candidate to win. Hillary was defeated in the Electoral College* and yet won the popular vote by one of the highest margins in history of presidential elections!

    Seven months into his tenure and the country is sick, sick, sick of Donald Dork's antics. Moreover, this guy is going to lose the Right both houses of Congress next year. Mark my words ...

    *The Electoral College is and always has been a sham democratic election process. It is disproportional and highly manipulable. Uncle Sam would do better to rid himself of this dangerous handicap to a pluralistic democracy ...
    The problem that the Democrats face in 2018 is they have more people up for reelection than the Republicans. For example, 25 out of the 34 Senate seats up for reelection are Democrat held seats. Since the Democrats are only acting like self righteous bullies and obstructionists, and are not participating in writing laws, like a health care replacement, if we loose those 25 Democrats, we do not loose anything of functional value. This election will get rid of the dead wood. Not repealing ObamaCare means the Democrats still own that disaster, which will be on its last legs at electron time.

    Trump once again out smarted the Democrats. He will be seen as doing his job and Trump will be able to help take out the dead beat Democrats. The Democrats should have allowed health care reform and let the Republicans own the short term growing pains, which the Democrats could have exploited for political reasons in 2018. Instead the Democrats bet on scamming the American people with propaganda. People see this and will vote accordingly.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •