Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 112

Thread: Absolute Logic

  1. #21
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    57,526

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Looking at the situation logically, I think a lot of people would kill their mother with the intention of eating her, but would justify it in their minds as putting her out of her misery so she wouldn't have to suffer. The interesting thing about emotions is that they can be rationalized so you don't have a conflict between logic and emotion.

    That being said, the idea of "absolute" anything in logic is rather absurd. Perhaps an axiom, postulate, or mathematical proof, but certainly not an absolute.
    Actually, given what they had on them; the most "logical" solution is not to kill your mother and eat her. But rather to build a fire, build shelter, and go forage for food. There is greater strength in number and if your mother can be nursed back so that she can then contribute, your collective survival probabilities increase.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #22
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Absolute Logic

    What is logic?
    Logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Can someone obey logic in its purest form?
    Logic doesn't tell you what to do. It is however possible to consistently follow a given set of goals in a logical fashion.

    Machines have no emotion or morality. They only follow logic. When people strive to be more logical than others, they do not realize that to be utterly logic is to focus on logic alone and leave all else behind.
    Being logical simply requires you have a clear set of priorities and follow them accurately. It doesn't mean you can't use your emotions to figure out what your priorities are.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,755

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    When people strive to be more logical than others, they do not realize that to be utterly logic is to focus on logic alone and leave all else behind.
    Not true. What is logical is to recognize that human being possess mirror neurons, which in turn make us empathatic creatures. As such, the practice of empathy is innate to us and it would be irrational to ignore that nature.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,528

    Re: Absolute Logic

    I would not eat my mother. If the situation is hopeless why would you do that anyway? In terms of absolute logic, is taking care of oneself the top priority? Why is it part of absolute logic to prolong one's life?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,755

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Actually, given what they had on them; the most "logical" solution is not to kill your mother and eat her. But rather to build a fire, build shelter, and go forage for food. There is greater strength in number and if your mother can be nursed back so that she can then contribute, your collective survival probabilities increase.
    Very true. But you bring up an excellent point. Limiting such a situation to two options is inherently irrational. Someone using logic would recognize that there were many alternative options available.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    57,526

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Why is it part of absolute logic to prolong one's life?
    Something about evolution. I don't know, it's all confusingly illogical.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    57,526

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Very true. But you bring up an excellent point. Limiting such a situation to two options is inherently irrational. Someone using logic would recognize that there were many alternative options available.
    There can certainly be a variety of methods to escape. The logical thing to do is to make a plan. You sit down and say "OK, I'm at point A, I need to be at point B; what are the ways by which I can realistically get from here to there" and then you weight them by probabilities and outcomes. If you put a lot on your survival, you try to take the plan with your best odds. If you put a lot on your mother's survival, you try to tale the plan with her best odds. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,528

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Something about evolution. I don't know, it's all confusingly illogical.
    I disagree. I believe that it's instinct to prolong one's life, but I believe that humans are higher creatures that can act upon more than instinct. I believe absolute logic is something someone creates for themselves and follows.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Again you offer no substantial response. You merely spam and insult.

    You're being redundant.
    I'm sure you know what redundant means, you should revise your usage of it. Also I issued a valid inquiry to the hypothetical situation. Does it not suit your ego? Or was it that I challenged your conception of what 'absolute logic' is and you took it to face and were insulted?

  10. #30
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,295
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Absolute Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    So it is emotions and morality over logic with this one..

    Is emotion and morality greater than logic, Grim17?
    It's not a question of which is greater, it's more about acknowledging the strengths and limitations of both. One is vital to our personal survival, while the other is vital to society and happiness/inner peace.

    I have a very high IQ and am more intelligent than most people, and throughout my childhood and well into my adult life, I allowed that intelligence to rule my life and it not only made me miserable and I hated life, it nearly destroyed me on more than one occasion. Because of the rough home life I had as a child, I relied almost exclusively on my intelligence to protect me. I let logic dictate how to act, react, what I should do and say, every minute, of every day... That worked very well to protect me from physical harm, but I can't begin to tell you how many bad or wrong choices I made because I relied so heavily on intellect. Then I figured it out...

    I came to understand many years ago, that human beings are made up of two things, or forces, that govern our existence. We are animals as well as spiritual beings, or put another way, body and soul. The animal side is our brain, our intelligence, our logic. It's the selfish part of us that only believes what it can see, and evaluates everything based on how it looks on paper. It's what guards our survival and protects us from physical pain. While the spiritual side is our emotions, our feelings, fears, and where that little voice inside of us comes from, that tells us things that logic simply can't explain. It's the part of us where moral values and our sense of right and wrong come from. It's where our compassion is derived, and what allows us to see the effects of certain actions that logic simple can't fathom. What I've found is, anyone who relies too heavily on one over the other, is someone who will make a lot of bad decisions, be very unhappy in their life, or won't be on this earth very long.

    In your example, it comes down to 2 simple choices for me... Feed your body, or feed your soul. I'd rather face death and be at peace, then survive the ordeal and live a long and miserable existence.

    ps... what I just wrote has everything to do with my political beliefs.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •