Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 87

Thread: Fact checking the president.

  1. #41
    Guru TheDoctorWasIn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    In the center of it all.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    And yet, here we have Twitter...who, I presume, claims they are not a publisher...is using information from other content providers to "fact check" the President.

    Wouldn't you say they should be treated as a publisher?

    Go look at the law and find out the difference between an online platform and an online publisher.
    I really get the impression that you don't understand how defamation laws - or other torts that apply to publishers work.

    This is the relevant law here:

    No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.
    Don't believe something just because you want to.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,665

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You probably shouldn't be mentioning that "former US Ambassador". She's lucky nobody is prosecuting her for lying to Congress.
    Yeah, right. Where's Rudy?

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,611

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Perjury against the People?

  4. #44
    Advisor Ginger Ale's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    441

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    That's the job of every individual citizen to do on their own...if they are concerned enough.
    That will be entertaining given this new law. I think getting anything off the internet that is reliable will be gone, not like it wasn't already hard enough.

    The news stations should be happy again. They'll soon look like a better option, I think Trump just did them a favor he didn't intend to do.

    Twitter is just a place for people to go who want to pick sides and mouth off and gather fans anyway, but there are some places that will be ruined. I wonder how this will affect forums like this one?

  5. #45
    Guru TheDoctorWasIn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    In the center of it all.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Ale View Post
    That will be entertaining given this new law. I think getting anything off the internet that is reliable will be gone, not like it wasn't already hard enough.

    The news stations should be happy again. They'll soon look like a better option, I think Trump just did them a favor he didn't intend to do.

    Twitter is just a place for people to go who want to pick sides and mouth off and gather fans.
    This is not a law. It's just political theater.
    Don't believe something just because you want to.

  6. #46
    Every job is essential
    Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    22,414

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    Let's just say our current president has an aptitude for hyperbole, putting it mildly. He's now angry with social media because twitter, finally, did a little something concerning some of his tweets.

    Twitter and any other media outlet is so biased against this president, how dare someone fact check what comes out of our president's mouth?

    Another day, another trump enemy. Republicans when will you awaken to the fact that stay at home requests are for the good of everyone, and you guys bitch about losing freedoms and the economy, even strutting around with your firearms at state capitols to show your distaste.

    Yet when trump says, twitter or social media is biased, the base immediately starts bashing away at trump's intended targets, the new enemies of the day. When will you realize you are creating the environment for a dictator to emerge, trump is almost an autocrat at this point because the gop politicians have no balls. Trump is doing the same thing hitler did in germany and the gop politicians and base are only helping. Fascism is where we are heading if trump is re elected. The worst part, the folks on the right totally disagree.
    Why not just let the normal back-and-forth of twitter deal with Trump? If they're not "fact checking" every tweet that passes through the system, it's clearly discriminatory censoring.
    Those who are willing to surrender their freedom for security have always demanded
    …it should also be taken from those not prepared to do so.- F.A. Hayek

  7. #47
    Sage
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,665

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    And yet, here we have Twitter...who, I presume, claims they are not a publisher...is using information from other content providers to "fact check" the President.

    Wouldn't you say they should be treated as a publisher?

    Go look at the law and find out the difference between an online platform and an online publisher.
    How Twitter fact checks anyone is irrelevant. That they post the results is what makes it publishing.

    Twitter can do what it wants as a private corporation. The issue here isn't related to law. It's the fact that you and I would be banned from Twitter for saying the same things as Trump. To me, the fact checking is a gift. I think Twitter should just ban him.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,542

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    When it comes to the Trump hating media, EVERYTHING they present are "alternate facts". And yes...Twitter is expressing their opinion when they include the media's alternate facts in response to someone's twitter post.

    btw, just because YOU say something is indefensible, doesn't mean it is. That's just YOUR opinion. (based on alternate facts)
    Making false statements with no proof is a lie. Stop normalizing lying. It is not normal and it is reprehensible when a President insists on doing it without fact checking. It is something right out of the 3rd Reich.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  9. #49
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,012

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    I'll be convinced twitter isn't biased when they start "fact checking" everyone. And when their "fact checking" isn't simply pointing to liberal news outlets. Until then, its very obvious what they're doing and it certainly is bias.

    The only question that remains is, does this bias preclude them from section 230 immunity. Thats going to be interesting to see.



    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    Let's just say our current president has an aptitude for hyperbole, putting it mildly. He's now angry with social media because twitter, finally, did a little something concerning some of his tweets.

    Twitter and any other media outlet is so biased against this president, how dare someone fact check what comes out of our president's mouth?

    Another day, another trump enemy. Republicans when will you awaken to the fact that stay at home requests are for the good of everyone, and you guys bitch about losing freedoms and the economy, even strutting around with your firearms at state capitols to show your distaste.

    Yet when trump says, twitter or social media is biased, the base immediately starts bashing away at trump's intended targets, the new enemies of the day. When will you realize you are creating the environment for a dictator to emerge, trump is almost an autocrat at this point because the gop politicians have no balls. Trump is doing the same thing hitler did in germany and the gop politicians and base are only helping. Fascism is where we are heading if trump is re elected. The worst part, the folks on the right totally disagree.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    40,542

    Re: Fact checking the president.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    Why not just let the normal back-and-forth of twitter deal with Trump? If they're not "fact checking" every tweet that passes through the system, it's clearly discriminatory censoring.
    Trump is not a normal twitter user he has far more followers. It makes sense to fact check with the most read tweets. Actually they could ban him from twitter for lying, it's their right.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •