Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 405

Thread: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason.

  1. #1
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    1,931

    Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason.

    If some bakery owner wants to deny service to openly gay people, or if Cleetus the bar owner wants to deny service to people of color in his bar out in the sticks, that should be legally acceptable in my opinion. If somebody is willing to limit their own sales because they feel so strongly about not wanting to serve somebody, they should be allowed to deny their service. Somebody that invested in and built their own business should not be forced by the government to do business they don't want to do. If I want to turn down your money I should be legally allowed to do that for any stupid or illogical reason that I want. Nobody should have legal grounds to sue me because I refused to do business with them. It is ridiculous that it triggers national outrage and people get sued over not providing their private service to individuals.

    Personally I wouldn't purchase services from a business like that and I would encourage others to do the same, but the government shouldn't be involved. It's all about not giving the government precedence to exert more control over the private sector. The government always has a good reason when it takes us an inch closer to their complete control of our lives and decisions.
    Last edited by dex4974; 04-08-20 at 03:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,906

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    And I disagree. In my opinion you have a childish, irrational paranoia and lack of understanding of issues. In your little Libertarian world, injustice would thrive. We need citizens to have a better sense of morals and civics. Protecting people's freedoms is not the road to tyranny by the government, and the government is not the only threat to freedom.
    "...when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." - trump, saying how he has Coronavirus cases down from 15 to over 1,000,000.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,567

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by dex4974 View Post
    If some bakery owner wants to deny service to openly gay people, or if Cleetus the bar owner wants to deny service to people of color in his bar out in the sticks, that should be legally acceptable in my opinion. If somebody is willing to limit their own sales because they feel so strongly about not wanting to serve somebody, they should be allowed to deny their service. Somebody that invested in and built their own business should not be forced by the government to do business they don't want to do. If I want to turn down your money I should be legally allowed to do that for any stupid or illogical reason that I want. Nobody should have legal grounds to sue me because I refused to do business with them. It is ridiculous that it triggers national outrage and people get sued over not providing their private service to individuals.

    Personally I wouldn't purchase services from a business like that and I would encourage others to do the same, but the government shouldn't be involved. It's all about not giving the government precedence to exert more control over the private sector. The government always has a good reason when it takes us an inch closer to their complete control of our lives and decisions.
    A racist message if i have ever read one. I bet yo are a WASP.

  4. #4
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    1,931

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    A racist message if i have ever read one. I bet yo are a WASP.
    So do you have a real argument you'd like to present other than just calling me a racist?

  5. #5
    Sage
    RaleBulgarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,519

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by dex4974 View Post
    If some bakery owner wants to deny service to openly gay people, or if Cleetus the bar owner wants to deny service to people of color in his bar out in the sticks, that should be legally acceptable in my opinion. If somebody is willing to limit their own sales because they feel so strongly about not wanting to serve somebody, they should be allowed to deny their service. Somebody that invested in and built their own business should not be forced by the government to do business they don't want to do. If I want to turn down your money I should be legally allowed to do that for any stupid or illogical reason that I want. Nobody should have legal grounds to sue me because I refused to do business with them. It is ridiculous that it triggers national outrage and people get sued over not providing their private service to individuals.

    Personally I wouldn't purchase services from a business like that and I would encourage others to do the same, but the government shouldn't be involved. It's all about not giving the government precedence to exert more control over the private sector. The government always has a good reason when it takes us an inch closer to their complete control of our lives and decisions.
    A privately owned business that serves the public cannot refuse service based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin/ethnicity, etc..

    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Definition, Summary & Significance - HISTORY

    Although I agree with your sentiment that you wouldn’t patronize a business that would discriminate, I disagree that such a business should be allowed to continue to operate in a discriminatory manner. Doing so would allow all types of prejudice/bigotry a “safe space” that they most certainly do not deserve.
    "What he did was not 'perfect.' No, it was a flagrant assault on our electoral rights, our national security interests, and our fundamental values. Corrupting an election to keep oneself in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one's oath of office that I can imagine," Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT)

  6. #6
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    05-29-20 @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,714

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    This refuses to recognize the reality of how our system works. We are all interdependent on each other for much of our necessities and even just our wants. Only so many businesses can operate at a profit in a certain area. It is a finite thing. If such discrimination is allowed, those businesses could easily just all agree to deny service to certain customers, particularly minorities who dont provide a significant portion if their business. It wouldn't matter if the rest of their customers didnt like it, because most would place their needs/wants above social justice, especially if every business refused them service.

    It can be seen with those who attempt to boycott places like Target, yet almost every business nowadays has the same policy of basically they dont care, dont judge, dont discriminate when it comes to transgenders using restrooms of choice. How many of those claiming to boycott Target over that shop at Walmart with the same basic policy?

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    1,931

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
    And I disagree. In my opinion you have a childish, irrational paranoia and lack of understanding of issues. In your little Libertarian world, injustice would thrive. We need citizens to have a better sense of morals and civics. Protecting people's freedoms is not the road to tyranny by the government, and the government is not the only threat to freedom.
    Forcing a private business owner to conduct business they don't want to conduct is not protecting freedoms; it's the opposite. Nobody should have a right to do business with me. Nobody should be able to sue me for refusing to do business.
    Last edited by dex4974; 04-08-20 at 04:05 PM.

  8. #8
    Sage
    j brown's body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    6,649

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Privately owned businesses could not exist without the taxpayers dollars that build and support the infrastructure that allows them to function. Thus personal prejudice should not allow one to refuse service to those who have made it possible for the business to exist.

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    1,931

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If such discrimination is allowed, those businesses could easily just all agree to deny service to certain customers, particularly minorities who dont provide a significant portion if their business. It wouldn't matter if the rest of their customers didnt like it, because most would place their needs/wants above social justice, especially if every business refused them service.
    Do you seriously believe anything more than an extreme minority of small businesses would deny sales and profit for the sake of prejudice? Even in the 50s most business owners had more sense than that. What you're suggesting could happen is completely ridiculous and implausible.

  10. #10
    Friend Zone

    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,419
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Private businesses should legally be allowed to deny service to anybody they want for any reason

    Quote Originally Posted by dex4974 View Post
    Forcing a private business owner to conduct businesses they don't want to conduct is not protecting freedoms; it's the opposite. Nobody should have a right to do business with me. Nobody should be able to sue me for refusing to do business.
    Not all that concerned with civil rights, I take it?

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •