Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 603

Thread: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

  1. #451
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,964

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    IMO, it's better for everyone involved to not make your sexual preference part of your public persona. I don't make it a point to talk about sex with Wife or the fact we are straight in public. Why do Gays feel it's necessary?
    I won't go back through 42 pages of posts, but didn't you say when asked you kiss your wife in public?

    Doesn't matter - going to dinner with her is to announce you are straight. When you go to a show together, and parties together, and do 100 things married couples do together, you're announcing you're a heterosexual couple. I don't know if you're on Facebook, but the few times I go online, my married friends SCREAM that they're a heterosexual couple, with pictures of themselves and their kids together. Same with their Christmas cards - always photos of them with kids or just of the kids. When my wife leaves on a plane, we kiss each other goodbye.

    And IME with all my brother's friends, dozens of interactions, street parties, house parties, Thanksgiving, and more, that's how they act. I've never once heard a conversation about gay SEX with them. They are people, who are gay. That's it. They just don't try to HIDE it.

    And if some gay people announce it and gay rights are part of their concerns, that's NORMAL. What you take for granted - a baseline of assumed respect as normal citizens, at the core, which bleeds into discrimination at work, etc. - they still don't have, and wanting that is NORMAL, as is fighting for it. We've made immense progress BECAUSE people fought for it, in public. They should be applauded for it, not condemned because you'd rather not know they exist.

    You might think discrimination against them is a thing of the past, but that's not true. There's a reason something like 40% of homeless kids are gay and it's because they've been forced from their homes by parents who reject them because they are gay. One friend of ours was so disowned by his parents his mother went through a year long battle with cancer and died, and he found out months after the funeral.

    And the best way to make progress is how it's happening with you, to be honest. You have a great friend, and he'd been that for a long time I assume. You find out he's gay, and.....nothing about him changed, but that he's gay. You're to be commended for keeping him as a friend, but what you've learned is being gay is as far as you're concerned not all that big a deal. He's still a great guy, and you welcome him in your life.

    Now do that million times, with a million gay people, who have millions of coworkers, family and friends, and you've got a change in society. You can't be bigoted against a guy you KNOW is a really good person, so him being gay becomes a thing, like he's fat or skinny or short. That's how it should be and being open about his sexual preference will do more than any protest for changing minds.
    Last edited by JasperL; 02-20-20 at 10:10 AM.

  2. #452
    Guru
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Smackover, AR.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,970

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Except the first born males of Egypt. God killed them
    Their parents had their chance to protect them. They chose not to do so.

  3. #453
    Guru
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Smackover, AR.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,970

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post

    It's unfair to demand that gay people stay in the closet so you're not made uncomfortable.
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.

  4. #454
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,396

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.
    What a horrible thing to say

  5. #455
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,396

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Their parents had their chance to protect them. They chose not to do so.
    And so God killed the innocent children

  6. #456
    Little Miss Sunshine
    TheGoverness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston Area, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    33,798

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.
    Yeah, and I guess we should bring back slavery, while we're at it. Get rid of women's rights too. Only straight, white, male, land owners should have power.

    Just because that's how society worked in the past, does not make that a good thing. There's a lot of screwed up stuff that happened in society, but we've overcome a lot of that, stuff like removing racist policies, protecting women's rights, etc.
    "Everyone makes mistakes. It's what makes us human."
    CLASS OF 2021
    PRIDE

  7. #457
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,964

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.
    And for most of our history, gays suffered from open and state-sanctioned discrimination. Being in the closet "worked well" to sustain that kind of discrimination.

    Gay sex was a crime in some states until Lawrence v. Texas in 2002. If you want to return to that era, and open, state-sponsored discrimination against people for the simple reason they ARE gay, you should say so and we'll know from what perspective you're making that argument.

  8. #458
    A Time to Heal

    Logician Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Third Stone from the Sun
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,349

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.
    It may have worked well for illiterate homophobic bigots. Not so well for good people who happened to be just another minority.
    " Burn slowly the Candle of Life" - 'To Our Children's Children's Children' - Justin Hayward - Moody Blues -

  9. #459
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,695

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Why not? It worked well for most of our history.
    It worked well for straights maybe. Slavery also worked for white people, not black people. Just because it worked well for YOU or MOST doesn't mean it is right and just.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  10. #460
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    27,041

    Re: [W:422] So, marriage is destroyed, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
    For years, Republicans ran against gay marriage equality - they used the issue to get Republican voters out.

    The message from the activists and practically all Republican politicians was the same: gay marriage marriage equality would destroy the institution of marriage. If you liked marriage, if you liked children, you had to protect marriage by opposing gay marriage equality.

    It's interesting to review this as a typical example of a Republican politicization of an issue, now that we have some more history.

    I considered pulling up a long list of quotes, but I'll stick with the Republican Senate Majority leader as typical: "Will activist judges not elected by the American people destroy the institution of marriage, or will the people protect marriage as the best way to raise children? My vote is with the people."

    That's what he said when Bush's effort to pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage failed to get the 60 required votes. Republicans voted 45-6 in favor of the amendment - support for banning gay marriage in the constitution had overwhelming Republican support int he Senate and elsewhere.

    So, how are those claims of nearly the entire party holding up now, that the institution of marriage would be destroyed, made so loudly for so many years? It'd be nice if Republicans voters could learn a little something from examples like this about the false, misguided hyperbole the Republican leaders to get votes.
    All humans, especially Americans it seems, have very selective amnesia. I think it's related to cognitive dissonance and denial.

    If the suggestion is that conventional marriage makes a society moral, that claim is blown out of the water by the many immoral actions of the government of this supposedly moral country.

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •