Page 146 of 263 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2624

Thread: The Confederate Flag

  1. #1451
    Sage


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,731

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezcoe View Post
    If someone in 2020 wants to fly a Confederate Flag... more power to them. No one is going to stop them from doing so.

    The person flying a Confederate Flag in 2020 should not be surprised or feign ignorance though that by doing so a major portion of the populace will assume that he/she is a racist asshole.

    Because in 2020, that is what flying that flag is saying to the world.
    In America if a person supports Trump a significant portion of democrats will accuse him of being a "racist asshole." Never mind the democrats are lying most of the time with that racist knee-jerk asswhole false allegation.

    Ironically, modern democrats are happy to allow American Indians to celebrate their history and ancestors who fought and killed Americans but the democrats do not want modern Americans celebrating any persons or events related to the democrat support for slavery underlying the civil war.

  2. #1452
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    200

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    So that should apply to any symbol, then, right? swastika, American Flag, a noose, Religious symbols such as the cross etc. So if I decide to burn the flag or tattoo a swastika on my body, I can say it means anything I want it to mean and no one should object or feel intimidated by it.
    Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme

  3. #1453
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    102,717

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    So that should apply to any symbol, then, right? swastika, American Flag, a noose, Religious symbols such as the cross etc. So if I decide to burn the flag or tattoo a swastika on my body, I can say it means anything I want it to mean and no one should object or feel intimidated by it.
    The people making that argument generally make the same argument regarding certain words (slurs).

  4. #1454
    Guru
    Robertinfremont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Meridian, Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,963

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsa View Post
    Lets be clear. bull**** baffles brains and historical revisionism is a "feature" of far right ethno nationalists, outright racists and scumbag fascists.

    Racists look to anecdotal stories that attempt to paint slavery as something far more benign that it was, just like they attempt with the holocaust. Oh look you seem to be taking a page out of their playbook.

    At least I can elevate my thinking above the belt because my head ain't stuck up my arse.
    When you bloat and groan, I try to imagine some history course approving language like yours. Can you imagine students paying attention to a braggart who truly displays hate over this topic?

  5. #1455
    Advisor Jezcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    403

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    In America if a person supports Trump a significant portion of democrats will accuse him of being a "racist asshole." Never mind the democrats are lying most of the time with that racist knee-jerk asswhole false allegation.

    Ironically, modern democrats are happy to allow American Indians to celebrate their history and ancestors who fought and killed Americans but the democrats do not want modern Americans celebrating any persons or events related to the democrat support for slavery underlying the civil war.
    I have said nothing about those who support the President nor have I said anything about Democrats

    Say you come across a stranger that decked out in Marijuana paraphernalia, what assumption does one make? They are obviously projecting something to the world in general about their beliefs and personality knowing full well that assumptions are made.

    The same is true for those who fly the Confederate flag.

    No one is going to stop them from doing it.

    Those who do should not act surprised in the year 2020 what people will assume about them.

    They are the ones putting it out there.

  6. #1456
    Advisor Jezcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    403

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by eman623 View Post
    The majority of the world is not right 100% of the time. You don't see a lot of stars and bars flags flying in Northern California, but if I saw one my first thought would be, "must be a Southerner." My 2nd would be to ask myself, "Racist? Or just making a statement about heritage?"

    At that point I'd probably forget about it. I got enough to worry about already.

    Still it's a pretty brave thing to do. A very southern thing.
    Nah.... in Maine it is totally not a southern thing.

    One of the flags I see here regularly is a Confederate Flag with a big middle finger in the middle of it.

    As I said, I laugh.

    They are sad sad people who feel the need to fly such a thing.

  7. #1457
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    200

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The people making that argument generally make the same argument regarding certain words (slurs).

    And songs like the national anthem.. Remember Colin Kaepernick?
    Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme

  8. #1458
    Guru
    Robertinfremont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Meridian, Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,963

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Sooooo you can’t do as you claimed. Of course you can’t because you were wrong in claiming anyone here favored slavery.

    The problem with your and posts like yours is that you automatically assume “States Rights” = pro-slavery. That’s not correct. In fact it is wildly wrong and is just a big fat lie to spread a specific and deceitful ideology which divides Americans by calling anyone who disagrees with you a “racist”.

    FWIW, I was career military where we were taught that everyone is an essential member of the team. Race and religion were irrelevant. My dad was career military and I grew up on desegregated military bases going to desegregated DOD schools in the 1960s when off-base schools were seeing riots and racial strife. As a kid I didn’t get what the problem was since race was never an issue on base. Although, human nature being what it is, there were “incidents” when I was in the Marine Corps, those were quickly rectified. The most memorable one was when my squadron was being transported to Okinawa on a C-5 and it developed a fuel leak. We were stuck at the USAF airport terminal for over 12 hours waiting for the plane to be fixed. The terminal had a cafe and it served beer. After too many beers, our maintenance Warrant Officer made one too many racially insensitive remarks and a well-liked Gunnery Sergeant decked him. That’s a bad situation all the way around but since the WO was known to be a dick and the GySgt was well liked, plus everyone in the squadron knew the Gunny was in the right, there was no known NJP. The only result of that incident was we were forbidden from drinking before or during our flight back 6 months later.
    I worked directly for the commanding officer in my and the 1st Sgt office near the CO office. The reason I became his clerk was the former Clerk made racist remarks the Captain overheard and told the 1st Sgt to replace him. See, the white blue eyed Captain happened to be a Mulatto from Cajun country and expected his company to act professional.

    Note the Democrats on this topic do not present in professional way.

  9. #1459
    Ugly bag of mostly water
    it's just me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,784

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Debator View Post
    So? I'm against vandalism as well. Generally. If it happened to a racist statue I wouldn't be broken up about it or anything but no. I want them taken down legally, deliberately and in the faces of all the confederate sympathizers. Preferably in broad daylight.

    That isn't the feeling I get, especially when you talk about mocking people into silence. Suppose they do that to you, then what will you say? Because they will.

    I used to fly the Betsy Ross flag on July 4th until that idiot Colin Kaepernick claimed it was "racist". People will only take so much of this.
    I'm sorry if you don't like my honesty, but to be fair, I don't like your lies, either.

  10. #1460
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    102,717

    Re: The Confederate Flag

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinfremont View Post
    I worked directly for the commanding officer in my and the 1st Sgt office near the CO office. The reason I became his clerk was the former Clerk made racist remarks the Captain overheard and told the 1st Sgt to replace him. See, the white blue eyed Captain happened to be a Mulatto from Cajun country and expected his company to act professional.

    Note the Democrats on this topic do not present in professional way.
    Maybe the army wasn't racist. Being a racist and hiding it is not "being professional". The problem was not professionalism, the problem was racism.

    Behavior was not the problem. Beliefs were the problem. Do you get that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •