Page 76 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 902

Thread: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

  1. #751
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    NM
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,767

    Re: The ghost in the machine

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Since you seem disinclined to admit Darwin was a racist who looked at blacks as savages, let me remind you that his book "On the Origin of Species" also included in its title these telling words:

    The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life.
    Yah, which you've read, I suppose? Meanwhile, back in the World:

    "So what did he (Darwin) really believe?

    "Let’s start by considering Darwin’s 1871 publication, “The Descent of man”. This was his second great book and follows his far more famous 1859 publication, “On the Origin of Species”, and within it he applies his evolutionary theory to humans. Here we find that he directly addresses the concept of races of humans.

    "To give this book some context, you also need to remember that it was written in a time when the majority of anthropologists believed that the different races of humans were distinctly separate species.

    "So what was Darwin’s view?

    "Upon reading, we quickly discover that he opposed the popular racist discourse and instead proposed that all human beings were the same species, and viewed the differences between human races as superficial. In fact he was quite unique in that respect, and made no distinction between biological races but instead emphasised how similar we all were underneath the superficial differences such as skin or hair colour. Note also that he views all, regardless of external differences, to have essentially the same mind.



    "The true racists of Darwins time were the religious creationists. They believed that other races had been separately created and hence were inferior and not related in any way. In stark contrast, it was evolution that clearly demonstrated this to be false and that we are in fact all related, and while there might be minor variations of appearance, we all have a common ancestry and all have the same heart and mind.

    "Evolution itself is also asserted to be a racist belief. However, the truth is that in stark contrast to the existing views on race at that time, Darwin showed that:

    . People cannot be classified as different species
    . All races are related and have a common ancestry
    . All people come from “savage” origins
    . The different races have much more in common than was widely believed
    . The mental capabilities of all races are virtually the same and there is greater variation within races than between races
    . Different races of people can interbreed and there is no concern for ill effects
    . Culture, not biology, accounted for the greatest differences between the races
    . Races are not distinct, but rather they blend together

    "Natural Selection at one stroke wipes out all justifications for racism, and so the claim that it is racist is utterly absurd. In his second great book, The Descent of Man, Darwin outlines all of the various ideas about race that existed at that time, and explains the details of the various ideas, and then proceeds to refute it all. Unfortunately, because he wrote it like that, it is easy for many to quote-mine stuff out of context and thus completely distort his views. Read it all and you quite clearly find a man who views all of humanity as essentially equal."

    (My emphasis - more @ Was Darwin a racist, and does evolution promote racism? - #DarwinDay (Hint ... No) • Skeptical Science)

    You should read the works, or @ least a good summary, before cribbing stuff off the Internet.

  2. #752
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It did not slow growth and helped to cut Bush's deficits in half. Bill Clinton raised taxes and balanced the budget too.
    The top tax rate went from 31% to 39.1% under Clinton. The top tax rate fell to 35% under Bush. The top tax rate rose to 39.6% under Obama where it remained for the first year under Trump before falling to 37% where it is now. I fail to see where the tax rate under Obama 'robbed the rich' like democrats keep preaching or where his tax policies stimulated the economy at any great rate compared to the economy under Trump.

  3. #753
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    A return to higher tax rates for top earners would affect all high income earners. It really is not about "fairness" as much it is about keeping the economy working for all of us. A rising tide that only lifts the yachts will sink all the other boats.
    The top tax bracket was lowered from 91% to 77% under JFK and the economy showed evidence of stimulation which was the reason JFK gave for lowering the tax rate. Under Reagan the rate was lowered from 77% to 50% and the economy rebounded.

  4. #754
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Corey View Post
    OK, but that has nothing to do with social programs that enrich society and enable stronger and better American's for a stronger and better America.
    $22 trillion debt puts the lie to the notion that the US economy is strong.

  5. #755
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Only corporate welfare where management gets to keep their multimillion dollar bonuses while equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis for the Poor is too much to bear for the right wing.
    After the 2008 collapse several CEOs were forced to pay back bonuses and portions of salaries. But not Franklin Raines, arguably the one CEO who was the most responsible of all of them for the problems which caused the collapse. He not only got to keep his multiple million bonuses and salary, but the government picked up the tab for his legal bills arising from his crime of cooking the books at Fannie Mae.

  6. #756
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Ecce homo!

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    And a record of failure in 1929. Socialism like automatic stabilizer programs have been bailing out Capitalism ever since.
    Socialism 'bails out' capitalism? With whose money? Slaves? Bogus money invented on counterfeit printing presses? Money confiscated from capitalists who despise socialists and communists because of their practice of robbing the working man to feed the government and civilian bums?

  7. #757
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by dairyair View Post
    Voter fraud wasn't the claim.

    Prove your false voter fraud claim. Yes, it exists, to the tune of about 0.0007%.

    There isn't a system anywhere for anything that can be 100% fraud free.
    I am guessing you have done less than 0.00007 hours researching voter fraud.

  8. #758
    Sage
    Luckyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,533

    Re: Why are Democrats attracted to Socialism instead of to American Freedom and Liberty?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Article 1 Section 9 Paragraph 8 of The Constitution (the foreign emoluments clause) deals with foreign dignitaries giving presents (income) to any federal official to curry favor from the US.

    BTW, did Obama violate the foreign emoluments clause when he was given the Nobel Prize?
    Deflecting again by mentioning Obama?

    Did you see in the article that there are 33 pages (each with 50 entries) of payments to Trump due to his being president?

    You asked to give you 1 example of how Trump is personally economically benefiting from his presidency and I gave you 1650 examples. Did I answer your question and prove my point?
    My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring. Money is important but secondary.

  9. #759
    Temp Suspended

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    24,955

    Re: The ghost in the machine

    Quote Originally Posted by snakestretcher View Post
    It's titled 'On the origin of species' actually and yes, I have. You evidently have not because your reading material and 'education' comes in the form of a 2000 year-old book of myths and fairy tales. So, where in Darwin's book does racism occur?
    I don't know if Darwinian disciples favored the white race but Darwin obviously thought blacks were savages and that evolution was not destined to save the savages but the "favored races."

  10. #760
    Proud AmeriCAN
    Irwin Corey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,603

    Re: Ecce homo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    Except for the fact that it wouldn't exist if it hadn't been created by Congress.
    And your point is?
    I will not entertain the notion that Donald Trump's vision of the world can ever prevail, that one evil man can erase thousands of years of the evolution of civilized society.
    A GREAT America is an America that makes the MOST AmeriCANs ... GREAT!!

Page 76 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •