Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: The new anti-semitism

  1. #11
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60,083

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    I don't think there is that much anti-semitism among conservatives now. A small minority. But anti-Zionism is becoming mainstream among progressives and Democrats.
    If you don't notice think that the antisemitic acts and words by white supremacist groups in the United States are worthy of concern, it's because you're not the target of them. Also, that you don't see that Jews are in any danger from white supremacist groups tells me that you don't give a **** about Jews at all, and are just using the Israel issue to beat Democrats over the head with.

    This is all just a game to you, and it's sick.

  2. #12
    Guru
    Good4Nothin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,623

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    The first problem is that you are expressing a common misconception that the Israeli State and its actions and policies are synonymous with the Israeli people and in a broader sense Jews. There is a Zionist faction within Israel that promotes racial purity even against other Jews living in Israel. Racism is a feature of the poisonous ideology of Zionism. And the problem is that it doesn’t stop at being a mere idea. Take the forced sterilization of Ethiopian Jewish immigrants for example. That is the sort of thing that receives and warrants criticism. This is not an ideology shared by all Jews or all Israelis.
    There are racists in Israel, and in the USA, and everywhere. They are not the majority. The progressive anti-Zionists are against Israel in general, not just a racist minority.

    It is one thing to criticize some of Israel's policies, very different to condemn Israel as a colonial racist power. It is not.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Good4Nothin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,623

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If you don't notice think that the antisemitic acts and words by white supremacist groups in the United States are worthy of concern, it's because you're not the target of them. Also, that you don't see that Jews are in any danger from white supremacist groups tells me that you don't give a **** about Jews at all, and are just using the Israel issue to beat Democrats over the head with.

    This is all just a game to you, and it's sick.
    Oh really? I have stated many times at this forum that I am Jewish. Why is it "sick" that I am concerned about anti-semitism?

  4. #14
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60,083

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    Oh really? I have stated many times at this forum that I am Jewish. Why is it "sick" that I am concerned about anti-semitism?
    We had another poster using your exact same arguments. She claimed it was okay because she was Jewish, and her name was Schlomo.

  5. #15
    Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    They call it anti-Zionism. But the irrational passion behind it is making me wonder if it's a revival of old fashioned Jew hatred.

    Hate is nothing new, and it will never go out of style. It just continually morphs.

    The current criticism of Israel is reaching heights I have never seen before. Israelis are colonialists, racists, oppressors. There is seldom any mention of another side of the story.

    This belongs under general politics, because now mainstream Democrats are afraid to support Israel.
    A good practical definition of "anti-semitism" would be "any criticism, however slight, of any Jew anywhere for any reason". At least, that seems to be how the word is used nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxistleninist View Post
    goyim are subhuman
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInThe View Post
    i think shifting the tax burden down to poor Republicans is a great idea.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    There are racists in Israel, and in the USA, and everywhere. They are not the majority. The progressive anti-Zionists are against Israel in general, not just a racist minority.

    It is one thing to criticize some of Israel's policies, very different to condemn Israel as a colonial racist power. It is not.
    Israel as a colonial racist power. How would you describe a State that secretly sterilized it’s black population and forcibly did so as a condition of immigration for African Jews?

  7. #17
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    38,003

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    I don't think there is that much anti-semitism among conservatives now. A small minority. But anti-Zionism is becoming mainstream among progressives and Democrats.
    But there's a big difference between anti-Zionism and anti-semitism. Zionism is a political philosophy, not a religion orca people group.

    Granted, with Israel, there's a slightly different dynsmic. No other country embodies a religion. You can dislike Iran's politics withoutbeing anti Islam because there are other Islamic countries. You can dislike the politics of Italy without being anti-Catholic. Etc....

    I think some anti-Zionist opinions do walk right up to the line of anti-semitism. Some even go over the line (such as, imo, Ilhan Omar). I agree with Israel's right to exist and defend themselves. I do not, however, agree with all of the policies of the Israeli government.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    My discourse is elevated

  8. #18
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    4,458

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    Oh really? I have stated many times at this forum that I am Jewish. Why is it "sick" that I am concerned about anti-semitism?
    your concern is justified. Look at the UK Labour Party where 'anti-Zionism' has morphed into full on anti-semitism - to the point where some Jewish Members of Parliament have left the party of which they have been a member for decades. For the first time ever the well respected UK Chief Rabbi has spoken out against the dangers posed to Jews if Labour wins the election on 15 December.

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lebanon Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,412

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    There are racists in Israel, and in the USA, and everywhere. They are not the majority. The progressive anti-Zionists are against Israel in general, not just a racist minority.

    It is one thing to criticize some of Israel's policies, very different to condemn Israel as a colonial racist power. It is not.
    It is one thing to criticize some of Israel's policies, very different to condemn Israel as a colonial racist power when it is not. It is yet another very different matter to assign the reason for being wrong, to anti-Semitism.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Good4Nothin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,623

    Re: The new anti-semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by AmNat View Post
    A good practical definition of "anti-semitism" would be "any criticism, however slight, of any Jew anywhere for any reason". At least, that seems to be how the word is used nowadays.
    If you read any of this, you would know I was not talking about slight criticism.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •