Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 159

Thread: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

  1. #121
    Guru bomberfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,223

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I cannot believe the partisan idiocy that is coming from Columbus in the past week. The state legislature wants to allow public school students to be permited to cite their religious beliefs in classes and not be graded as wrong. If this passes any public school diploma will be worthless because they are allowing religious students to reject facts and instead write "God did it" as an answer and not be marked wrong. This is claimed to be an act of religious freedom but we can see that the GOP in Ohio is desperate to pander to religious conservatives to get them to vote Republican next year.


    I hated John Kasich but he is looking positively rational and pragmatic compared to this fundamentalist religious idiocy which includes the recent abortion bill would include the death penalty for doctors for performing abortions.

    Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion | WKRC
    Its columbus. Im not surprised in the least.

  2. #122
    Salem ac Leporem Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by bomberfox View Post
    I remember their extreme anti-abortion bill too.. I called my rep and he was a bit baffled about it. third world country status yeehaw?
    It will never survive judicial review. Alabama or Mississippi tried the same thing about 6 months ago and the federal judges tossed it out as soon as it was signed. The GOP is desperate to pander to religious conservatives to guarantee their vote in 2020 so they are passing this assinine legislation. The problem they don't understand is that the religious conservatives that embrace it are smaller than the number of people who are repulsed by it. Why would any business seek to relocate to Ohio when these are the sort of policies that the government supports. The educated people that a modern business needs will refuse to live in Ohio because we are quickly becoming the most northern suburb of Alabama or Tennessee.
    The state was extremely gerrymandered by Kasich in 2011 and this is the idiocy that they come up with as policy. I hated Kasich because of his far right economic ideas but I'll give him credit that he was intelligent enough to refuse to sign this dominionist idiocy during his 8 years.
    Condor060 said; Who was talking about Jesus? I posted scriptures from the bible. Try and keep up

  3. #123
    Salem ac Leporem Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by 3leftsdoo View Post
    I certainly appreciate that you're posting about an issue of immediate concern to you.

    But I see no issue other than a push back against marginalization.
    Religious beliefs based on emotions aren't equal to empirical facts. They never were.

    What possible marginalization are you referring to? The religious and secular rights of others are not dependant on the approval of illogical evangelical Christians in the US. To allow Christian conservatives the ability to reject facts in public school and still get equal credit as those who study is asinine. Ohio high school diplomas won't be worth the paper that they are printed on if this happens, and graduates will be rejected from the better colleges because of it.
    Condor060 said; Who was talking about Jesus? I posted scriptures from the bible. Try and keep up

  4. #124
    Sage
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,800

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    I hope a student takes them court over saying 2+2=5 claiming their religion says it. That there are a lot of lawsuits like that.

  5. #125
    Professor
    Rickeroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:13 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Quote the language allowing students to "answer questions scientifically wrong?"

    Up until about 40-50 years ago, it was scientific fact that dinosaurs vanished due to an ice age. Any student who answered they were killed due to a huge asteroid were "wrong," to scientifically correct.

    Most progressive Democrats have no clue what the word "scientific" actually means. To them, it means whatever they believe therefore is scientific fact because someone told them to believe that it is.
    I wonder if Bruce Jenner is 'scientifically' a woman, and my objection to that would be considered 'religious'.
    Let's treat ourselves like we treat our fellow man. I'm moving my family to the Pine Ridge reservation. Who's with me?

  6. #126
    Sage
    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    36,121

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I live in Ohio. It has been widely discussed. There seem to be only a few people who support it and many people, including Christians who are very opposed to it.

    This is another attempt for the GOP to pander to the evangelicals ahead of the 2016 elections because the politicians are scared of the blowback of their support of Trump.
    Thanks for sharing your personal thoughts. I'll stick to the facts.

    I know Progs are triggered by every dog whistle, so I'll leave Progressives to their training.
    Nancy Pelosi: March, 2019
    "Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country,”

  7. #127
    Sage
    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    36,121

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    So you admit that a teacher can not "penalize" a students work based on religious content of a student's work. I did leave out "reward" because that is not in question. The question is that if a student's work,i.e. answers are based on his religion, the teacher can not penalize him. Meaning, a student can not be penalized if he answers incorrectly as long as his answers are based on his religion. Is there any other way to interpret the law?
    You are wrong. The Legislation does not state anything similar to what you wrote.

    Why are radicals so intent on lies and distortions?

    Read the legislation, not the fake news manufactured for a target audience.
    Nancy Pelosi: March, 2019
    "Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country,”

  8. #128
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Religious beliefs based on emotions aren't equal to empirical facts. They never were.

    What possible marginalization are you referring to? The religious and secular rights of others are not dependant on the approval of illogical evangelical Christians in the US. To allow Christian conservatives the ability to reject facts in public school and still get equal credit as those who study is asinine. Ohio high school diplomas won't be worth the paper that they are printed on if this happens, and graduates will be rejected from the better colleges because of it.
    Then don't mandate science as a required course. Otherwise, the law is the law.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Devonshire, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    9,196

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Drawdown View Post
    Then don't mandate science as a required course. Otherwise, the law is the law.
    Keep religious indoctrination out of schools and in churches, safely away from normal people. Allow kids to make up their own minds what they choose to believe when they are intellectually mature enough to make reasoned and rational decisions about what they choose to believe or otherwise.
    Proud to be a godless heathen.

  10. #130
    MSG Benavides TAB
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,365

    Re: Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

    House Bill 164 | The Ohio Legislature

    You can actually read it for yourself. Its not hat big a deal. All the Bill does is allow for freedom of expression.

    If a science teacher asks "what is the predominant scientific theory regarding the creation of the known universe and explain" the correct answer would still be "The Big Bang theory". If however ina classroom the science teacher asks "what do you think about the creation of the known universe and someone responds with "I believe the universe was created by design by a Creator" there would be allowed a discussion without penalty.

    The bill allows for ALL different religious groups to have a prayer at school. It allows extracurricular groups to be formed wit a religious background.

    Beyond that...relax.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •