Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: A look inside the mind of a leftist

  1. #11

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    The only people who care about Jane Fonda are rightists. She doesn't mean anything to anyone else but every now and then some conservative who loves how indignation feels drags her out, dusts her off and stands her up on the stage.
    Kinda like Hillary Clinton. Nobody gives a damn about her anymore either until some Trumpist needs something to compare his Dear Leader to in a favourable light.
    Your saying her viewpoint in the clip is more of an outlier than it is in the mainstream?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    Sage

    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,898

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I will fix it for you. And yes, it is a known bug.
    Not to derail, but what about the quotation marks gibberish?
    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. - George Carlin
    I know, everybody funny, now you funny too. -George Thorogood

  3. #13
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    Your saying her viewpoint in the clip is more of an outlier than it is in the mainstream?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Didn't watch the clip. I don't care what she thinks about anything. Don't know why anyone would.
    You can't be first but you could be next.

  4. #14

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Didn't watch the clip. I don't care what she thinks about anything. Don't know why anyone would.
    That makes your response pointless.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Professor
    Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    01-16-20 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,684

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Jane Fonda is old history. She's like 80 years old. Who cares what she thinks. Everyone is an individual in their beliefs.

    IMHO, differences have a lot to do with basic psychology, left vs. right brain function (creative vs. stayed/immobile). If you want to know what liberals don't want, watch "A handmade's tale." It's from a book that came out over 20 year's ago.

    I heard a young woman speak who was raised in a extreme right wing climate. She started a career working with a group that helped the poor. Gradually her belief system began to change. Some of us want to leave a positive impact after we're gone.
    Plans to protect air and water, wilderness and wildlife, are in fact plans to protect man
    - Stewart Udall

  6. #16
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    That makes your response pointless.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You asked.
    You can't be first but you could be next.

  7. #17
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,005

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    The purpose of this thread is not to mock or belittle anyone. Its my attempt to put some of the things we wrestle with into perspective from the lefts point of view.

    This morning im watching something called the impeachment show on viceland. Jane fonda is interviewed on the show. The whole clip is about 8 minutes long and its interesting.

    The part that inspired me to create this thread is at about the 5:30 mark where she talks about her strategy but honestly the whole thing is fascinating.

    A quick summary of the clip:

    It starts off showing what she does as an activist and she espouses the typical urgency about climate change. Cookie cutter stuff mostly. Until about the 5:30 mark where she talks about a plan to seduce Trumps ego into getting onboard with the changes she wants. Then she goes on to explain why impeaching him is so important.

    There is a devout sincerity to her that i dont think can be denied and something that many on the left have in common with her.

    Anyhow i hope you all enjoy it.

    YouTube

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    To make sure I have this right...

    You found a YouTube clip from Viceland, where they interview Jane Fonda on various issues including Trump, you make the determination alone that she has a "devout sincerity" that by implication is common across those who may agree with her, concluding this is a "look inside the mind of a leftist."

    And you looking to discuss, that those that lean left are the only ones devout in their ideological sincerity?

    This is not about a "look inside the mind of a leftist," this is about your take on a leftist based on an interview with Jane Fonda of all people.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid." - Penn Jillette.

  8. #18

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    To make sure I have this right...

    You found a YouTube clip from Viceland, where they interview Jane Fonda on various issues including Trump, you make the determination alone that she has a "devout sincerity" that by implication is common across those who may agree with her, concluding this is a "look inside the mind of a leftist."

    And you looking to discuss, that those that lean left are the only ones devout in their ideological sincerity?

    This is not about a "look inside the mind of a leftist," this is about your take on a leftist based on an interview with Jane Fonda of all people.
    Am i wrong?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  9. #19

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1 View Post
    Jane Fonda is old history. She's like 80 years old. Who cares what she thinks. Everyone is an individual in their beliefs.

    IMHO, differences have a lot to do with basic psychology, left vs. right brain function (creative vs. stayed/immobile). If you want to know what liberals don't want, watch "A handmade's tale." It's from a book that came out over 20 year's ago.

    I heard a young woman speak who was raised in a extreme right wing climate. She started a career working with a group that helped the poor. Gradually her belief system began to change. Some of us want to leave a positive impact after we're gone.
    I dont really understand why people are distancing themselves from her when she is saying things that i hear people on this board say all the time.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Professor
    Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    01-16-20 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,684

    Re: A look inside the mind of a leftist

    I don't think liberals & progressives are so much distancing themselves from Jane, as that she is not very relevant, at her age. It's been many years since she sat on a US bomb in Hanoi. Many younger people barely know who she is or what she did. I like the term progressive rather than liberal, as most young progressives are passionate about keeping the Earth livable (environment & government).
    Plans to protect air and water, wilderness and wildlife, are in fact plans to protect man
    - Stewart Udall

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •