Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 149

Thread: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

  1. #31
    Guru
    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,724

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Will be interesting to see how they define a political ad. Is any tweet by Trump or CNN on a political issue an ad? Is an ad only something someone pays Twitter for or is it any tweet they consider political?Then what is considered political? If someone tweets that we just had the hottest summer in history is that a tweet about global warming or just a statement of fact (just an example not sure if it was the hottest summer).
    Maybe you could try reading the article, and the linked one on the actual announcement from Twitter you'd know the answers to most of those questions and also when the answers the rest will be clarified.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,018

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    and that pretty much has nothing to do with what twitter is addressing.
    It's exactly what Twitter is addressing. Ads by conservatives are the only way to counter the leftwing Twitter feed. Now they can't do that, which was the Marxist goal all along.

  3. #33
    Big Scary Liberal
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Akron
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,281

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by Mashmont View Post
    It's exactly what Twitter is addressing. Ads by conservatives are the only way to counter the leftwing Twitter feed. Now they can't do that, which was the Marxist goal all along.
    Please see my conversation with ocean515 and educate yourself on the real issue.
    "This is America - and here, right matters."

    - Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, Director for European Affairs for the United States National Security Council

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    02-04-20 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,484

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Good. Now, Right Wing Cum Dumpster Zuckerberg, who is openly allowing Shapiro's Daily Wire to flaunt and openly break FB's own rules while punishing others (so much for "liberal bias) needs to do the same.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    02-04-20 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,484

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by Mashmont View Post
    It's exactly what Twitter is addressing. Ads by conservatives are the only way to counter the leftwing Twitter feed. Now they can't do that, which was the Marxist goal all along.
    Total nonsense reply.

    You want a platform? Go make one.

    Capitalism and rights to association are a bitch, aren't they?

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,917

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Agreed.

    These questions of subjective censorship being deployed by these dominate social media platforms raises some real Constitutional issues.

    On one hand, a business/corporation should have a right to make business decisions that it feels best suit it's objectives.

    On the other hand, given their dominance as a means of social discourse, should they be allowed to manipulate the information they allow their consumers to see?

    It seems obvious these questions will need to be hammered out in the courts.

    What is concerning to me is the endorsement of censorship on the part of so many people.
    That concerns me as well.

    The Democrat-Socialists are quick to pursue political opponents into restaurants in mobs and harass them. Their political leaders recommend attacking political opponents and harassing them wherever they are.

    They gleefully scream that individuals should be stripped of their privately owned social media accost to silence their voices.

    Now the Social Media owners are employing prior restraint to systematically strip away political discourse from the marketplace of ideas.

    They do all of this crying that they are protecting First Amendment rights. This simultaneously reveals their tendency toward dictatorial controls and their lack of understanding of what freedom means and demands.

    Your concern on this topic is justified on various levels for various reasons. The leadership of this kind of thinking is evil and devious. Their followers are just plain ignorant and stupid.

    The rest of us are concerned.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

  7. #37
    Sage
    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    12-30-19 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    36,757

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    That concerns me as well.

    The Democrat-Socialists are quick to pursue political opponents into restaurants in mobs and harass them. Their political leaders recommend attacking political opponents and harassing them wherever they are.

    They gleefully scream that individuals should be stripped of their privately owned social media accost to silence their voices.

    Now the Social Media owners are employing prior restraint to systematically strip away political discourse from the marketplace of ideas.

    They do all of this crying that they are protecting First Amendment rights. This simultaneously reveals their tendency toward dictatorial controls and their lack of understanding of what freedom means and demands.

    Your concern on this topic is justified on various levels for various reasons. The leadership of this kind of thinking is evil and devious. Their followers are just plain ignorant and stupid.

    The rest of us are concerned.
    I had a recent epiphany after reading through this thread and others like it, and noting the support for these actions by the usual crowd.

    It seems there is a belief among them that people are incapable of applying rational thought and logical reasoning to what the see and hear.

    In effect, an admission of a deficiency, and a susceptibility to propaganda and manipulation.

    That drew me to the sources they use to understand what to think about any given topic.

    It's explains why their fake news sources can feed them all this biased, distorted information, and they don't question it for a second.
    Nancy Pelosi: March, 2019
    "Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country,”

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,917

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by RaleBulgarian View Post
    cen·sorship
    /ˈsensərSHip/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    1.
    the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

    As I said ....
    Your new post affirms that there IS censorship going on here.

    What makes you think that anyone suppressing or prohibiting the flow of ideas is not censoring them?

    Did you read your post before posting it?
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

  9. #39
    Sage
    RaleBulgarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,629

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    Your new post affirms that there IS censorship going on here.

    What makes you think that anyone suppressing or prohibiting the flow of ideas is not censoring them?

    Did you read your post before posting it?
    Apparently, you didn’t read the entire definition.
    “ that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security”

    Twitter is not publicly owned and as such has zero/nada/no responsibility to allow anything it doesn’t want. Deal with it.
    "What he did was not 'perfect.' No, it was a flagrant assault on our electoral rights, our national security interests, and our fundamental values. Corrupting an election to keep oneself in office is perhaps the most abusive and destructive violation of one's oath of office that I can imagine," Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT)

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,917

    Re: Twitter stops running political ads on platform

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I had a recent epiphany after reading through this thread and others like it, and noting the support for these actions by the usual crowd.

    It seems there is a belief among them that people are incapable of applying rational thought and logical reasoning to what the see and hear.

    In effect, an admission of a deficiency, and a susceptibility to propaganda and manipulation.

    That drew me to the sources they use to understand what to think about any given topic.

    It's explains why their fake news sources can feed them all this biased, distorted information, and they don't question it for a second.
    As McCluhan, said, the medium is the massage. More and more, it seems, people do not consume news as a source of information, but rather as a bias confirmation device.

    They find comfort in the message they receive rather than critically analyzing what the news they consume is actually saying set in the world of actual events. Very few are asking, "If this is true, what else must be true?"

    The current Impeachment device, the Quid Pro Quo, is the perfect example.

    Biden confessed to and bragged about executing a Quid Pro Quo on behalf of Obama to interfere in the government's administration of a sovereign state for the personal profit realized by his son.

    Trump did nothing of this sort. The Ukrainian president says he felt no pressure. Trump said he applied no pressure. The transcript reveals no pressure was asserted or acknowledged.

    However, those who receive propaganda-as-news from CNN, NBC and the Leftist Elitists are told, and they believe, that Trump did what Biden has confessed to having done and then bragged about AND that Biden did no such thing.

    Video taped evidence of Biden actually confessing and bragging about having done what they condemn Trump for having done is dismissed.

    There is a cognitive disconnect in this. If it's not bias confirmation, then it's something worse. Good people can be diverted from good thinking. It's happened before and it's happening again all around us.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •