Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

  1. #1
    Infidel
    Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,058

    The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    The Christian Right Is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion | FiveThirtyEight

    Proof is in the pudding folks. I had mentioned something similar, that the religious right wing was destroying itself in truly iconoclast fashion.

    This one is personal for me. Its part of the reason I am an atheist. The people composing the church are becoming more radical in their social views. They are ubdermining the separation of church and state, the very right that enables them to practice their faith.

    The religious right takes any advance in social justice as an affront to their beliefs. Gay marriage for example. Gays being married outside the church does not undermine traditional marriage. Christians however take this as an affront to their belief. They can believe whatever they want but they have no right to make others adhere with that belief.

    Thankfully the faith is dying by self inflicted wounds and worsening fanaticism.
    #BDS

    No forgiveness here remains.

  2. #2
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    103,213

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The Christian Right Is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion | FiveThirtyEight

    Proof is in the pudding folks. I had mentioned something similar, that the religious right wing was destroying itself in truly iconoclast fashion.

    This one is personal for me. Its part of the reason I am an atheist. The people composing the church are becoming more radical in their social views. They are ubdermining the separation of church and state, the very right that enables them to practice their faith.

    The religious right takes any advance in social justice as an affront to their beliefs. Gay marriage for example. Gays being married outside the church does not undermine traditional marriage. Christians however take this as an affront to their belief. They can believe whatever they want but they have no right to make others adhere with that belief.

    Thankfully the faith is dying by self inflicted wounds and worsening fanaticism.
    Maybe there is a god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country.

  3. #3
    Infidel
    Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,058

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Maybe there is a god.
    The funny part is the right will claim this is about a failure of society. They are wrong. Religion is supposed to be a refuge from the horrors of our cosmic existence. Instead it has become a cog in the machine of misery, grinding others to dust under the tenets it preaches.
    #BDS

    No forgiveness here remains.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,908

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The Christian Right Is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion | FiveThirtyEight

    Proof is in the pudding folks. I had mentioned something similar, that the religious right wing was destroying itself in truly iconoclast fashion.

    This one is personal for me. Its part of the reason I am an atheist. The people composing the church are becoming more radical in their social views. They are ubdermining the separation of church and state, the very right that enables them to practice their faith.

    The religious right takes any advance in social justice as an affront to their beliefs. Gay marriage for example. Gays being married outside the church does not undermine traditional marriage. Christians however take this as an affront to their belief. They can believe whatever they want but they have no right to make others adhere with that belief.

    Thankfully the faith is dying by self inflicted wounds and worsening fanaticism.
    As a mean becomes less and less general through the population it is inevitable that the remaining average level of intensity amongst those still with it will be higher.

    In such a thing as nebulous as a religion it will generally cause those remaining to be surrounded by like minded, intensified, folk. This is also likely to intensify their perception of the meam its' self.

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon


    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    The sooner America loses it’s unhealthy fascination with religion the better.

  6. #6
    Firm but fair
    Felis Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,329

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The Christian Right Is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion | FiveThirtyEight

    Proof is in the pudding folks. I had mentioned something similar, that the religious right wing was destroying itself in truly iconoclast fashion.

    This one is personal for me. Its part of the reason I am an atheist. The people composing the church are becoming more radical in their social views. They are ubdermining the separation of church and state, the very right that enables them to practice their faith.

    The religious right takes any advance in social justice as an affront to their beliefs. Gay marriage for example. Gays being married outside the church does not undermine traditional marriage. Christians however take this as an affront to their belief. They can believe whatever they want but they have no right to make others adhere with that belief.

    Thankfully the faith is dying by self inflicted wounds and worsening fanaticism.
    I find the reasoning kind of backwards, Obscurity. How is it the responsibility of highly-orthodox/conservative religious groups to cater to the sensibilities of the liberal and ecumenical? Is it your argument (or those of FiveThirtyEight's) that if the teachings and interpretations were less strict, that these many liberal and progressive parishioners would stay? If that is the case, why aren't those who are leaving these supposedly "right wing" churches turning to more liberal and "open-minded" churches? Why aren't those Orthodox Jews simply going to Reform Synagogues, or Southern Baptists turning Presbyterian, or Sunni and Shia Muslims turning to the Baha'i Faith or Sufism?
    Last edited by Felis Leo; 09-21-19 at 04:06 PM.
    Itís in the small things that the rot starts. Do the wrong thing once, itís easier to do it again. Do the individualistic thing once, it is easy to do it again.

    Fiat justitia, et pereat mundus

  7. #7
    Firm but fair
    Felis Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,329

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The sooner America loses it’s unhealthy fascination with religion the better.
    I agree. Then we Americans can begin putting the focus on what really matters: power. Power over our fellow citizens, their lives, their dreams and their wallets, stripped of any pretense of higher morality.
    Itís in the small things that the rot starts. Do the wrong thing once, itís easier to do it again. Do the individualistic thing once, it is easy to do it again.

    Fiat justitia, et pereat mundus

  8. #8
    Infidel
    Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,058

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Felis Leo View Post
    I find the reasoning kind of backwards, Obscurity. How is it the responsibility of highly-orthodox/conservative religious groups to cater to the sensibilities of the liberal and ecumenical? Is it your argument (or those of FiveThirtyEight's) that if the teachings and interpretations were less strict, that these many liberal and progressive parishioners would stay? If that is the case, why aren't those who are leaving these supposedly "right wing" churches turning to more liberal and "open-minded" churches?
    My argument is that the religious have increasingly tied themselves to Republican politics and politicians who have increasingly levelled political blame at liberals of leftists in general.

    The issue isnt the faith but the intersection of faith with hardline extremist rhetoric.

    If you had read the article you would know that.

    Go back and read it.
    #BDS

    No forgiveness here remains.

  9. #9
    Infidel
    Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,058

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Felis Leo View Post
    I agree. Then we Americans can begin putting the focus on what really matters: power. Power over our fellow citizens, their lives, their dreams and their wallets, stripped of any pretense of higher morality.
    You clearly didnt read the article.

    It is about power. Liberals are leaving religion. Why wouldnt they when preachers stand there and rail agaibst people who identify as liberal or left?
    #BDS

    No forgiveness here remains.

  10. #10
    Part of the Problem
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Blue Dot in a Red State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    33,510

    Re: The Christian Right is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

    I am a card-carrying Democrat, and I have not walked away from my faith. I am not a fan of organized religion, but I have not, nor will I ever, deny Christ, or the impact He has in my life.

    Iím just not crazy about some of His followers.

    New drinking game. Every time somebody says Yale, you take a shot. Pretty soon we can be as sloppy drunk as Brett Kavanaugh!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •