Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 101

Thread: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

  1. #61
    Always gets his shnook!

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,675
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Backfire effect When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger.
    Yup, at least until the pain becomes unbearable anyway.
    Eighty percent (who knows, maybe more) of all significant social and political change is based on comfort or perceived lack thereof.

    Since long before 2016, Republicans, and later "The Party of Trump", have concentrated most of their public image into the role of "punisher", and they sweetened the pot for the believers, by tricking them into thinking that they are part of something.
    They believe, more than anything else, more than the economy, more than immigration, more than even Christian values (which at this point can be anything Trump-God says they are) that punishing libtards is "WINNING".

    Trump-2016-your-feelings.jpg

    Nothing else matters as much no matter how much they deny it.
    Nothing else sends immediate short term gratification the way punishing libtards does.

    Trump fills up empty lives the way crack does.
    Not all drugs are chemical compounds.
    Trump's Elixir of Liberal Tears is a three card monte that is marketed as a drug.
    It is "the drug", and as with all drug addicts, once hooked, they're a slave to it and nothing else matters.



    Nothing else sends immediate short term gratification the way punishing libtards does.
    (Witness the continual barrage of reward-seeking behavior on this forum alone!)
    It doesn't even matter if it winds up punishing them.
    They can't feel that, because the high masks all externalities...until the source of the high goes away, or dries up, or the titty-milk turns sour.
    Then the pain comes, and when it does, it comes pent up, full force, unrelenting.

    Eventually the pain of addiction forces the addict to seek relief, or it gradually destroys them, and in the end, kills them.

    Trumpkins don't realize that all the abuse they've dished out has turned the left numb, so we're better now at dealing with pain than they are.
    They wonder why we "hope for a recession".
    Well, one reason is because a recession now will be less painful than what we know comes with four more years of Trump and Trumpers.
    And we also know that a recession will finally turn off the tap, sour the titty, bring the pain for Trump and his Trumpers.

    Pull the bandage off now while we have the stick in our mouth, debride the dead skin and scab, cauterize, or sterilize, suture it shut, reapply fresh dressing.
    We will triage, we will repair, we will heal the land, we will heal the heart and mind, and feed the soul.
    And we will do it all while kicking ass from now until January 2021 and beyond.

    Enjoy that last rock, Trumpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a big Trump fan. I did vote for him, and I'll vote for him again in 2020.

  2. #62
    Sage

    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36,926

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    d.

    Enjoy that last rock, Trumpers.
    It's not just trump. The entire Republican party are being enablers, and then they are basically trying to use Trump as a scapegoat for their unpopular policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Arendt
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."

  3. #63
    Always gets his shnook!

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,675
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    It's not just trump. The entire Republican party are being enablers, and then they are basically trying to use Trump as a scapegoat for their unpopular policies.
    Everyone's a drug dealer in the Republican Party, a dealer, or a driver, a distributor, a cartel soldier... or a manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    I wouldn't know, I'm not a big Trump fan. I did vote for him, and I'll vote for him again in 2020.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,189

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by RaleBulgarian View Post
    Xi is playing the long game, strategically. Trump is in way over his head, and too stupid/stubborn to accept advice from actual experts. If he continues playing tough guy it won’t end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    ^^ That.

    If Trump had combined his determination with competent strategy, he could have accomplished a lot with China.

    But he didn't do that. And China knows what Trump is afraid of -- Christmas shoppers facing high prices and losing farmer votes.
    Of course China has had a long term strategy and no one besides Trump has thought to toss some spike strips on their road.
    Doing it when our economy is strong was the right time. Theirs is suffering now and their Communist system allows them to withstand the effect at their citizens' expense.
    That thing about Christmas shoppers could have been seen by China as either Trump blinking or as Trump peace offering to get things moving.
    China apparently chose the former and here we are.
    So ... knowing what game they're playing there's no reason to help them play it by attacking their economic opposition just because he happens to be your political opposition ... especially when you know that's what they want.

    IF EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT THEN NOTHING IS

  5. #65
    Sage RaleBulgarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,742

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Of course China has had a long term strategy and no one besides Trump has thought to toss some spike strips on their road.
    Doing it when our economy is strong was the right time. Theirs is suffering now and their Communist system allows them to withstand the effect at their citizens' expense.
    That thing about Christmas shoppers could have been seen by China as either Trump blinking or as Trump peace offering to get things moving.
    China apparently chose the former and here we are.
    So ... knowing what game they're playing there's no reason to help them play it by attacking their economic opposition just because he happens to be your political opposition ... especially when you know that's what they want.
    You’re kidding yourself if you think that Trump’s strategy of pain for China will cause Xi to knuckle under. That is not going to happen.

    And nothing me, or any other member here, has to say about it will make any difference to the outcome.

    * BTW, I disagree with Trump on far more than politics.
    if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Amelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,702

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Of course China has had a long term strategy and no one besides Trump has thought to toss some spike strips on their road.
    Doing it when our economy is strong was the right time. Theirs is suffering now and their Communist system allows them to withstand the effect at their citizens' expense.
    That thing about Christmas shoppers could have been seen by China as either Trump blinking or as Trump peace offering to get things moving.
    China apparently chose the former and here we are.
    So ... knowing what game they're playing there's no reason to help them play it by attacking their economic opposition just because he happens to be your political opposition ... especially when you know that's what they want.

    Yeah, right, I'm attacking Trump just because he's my political opposition. Sure.

    No, I'm attacking him because he's attacking America. He's my political opposition because he's attacking America.

    My husband voted for Trump because he thought that Democrats' plans would hurt our buying power. Trump has hurt it more than any Democrat would have and it looks like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Trump has lost my husband as a voter. I voted third party last time but this time will vote for anyone the Democrats nominate, because Trump is that bad.

    My family cannot afford four more years of Trump in office. I'm scared about what one more year of Trump will do to us. THAT is why he's my political opposition.

  7. #67
    Sage RaleBulgarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,742

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    .... will vote for anyone the Democrats nominate, because Trump is that bad.
    Ditto.
    if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,189

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by RaleBulgarian View Post
    You’re kidding yourself if you think that Trump’s strategy of pain for China will cause Xi to knuckle under. That is not going to happen.

    And nothing me, or any other member here, has to say about it will make any difference to the outcome.

    * BTW, I disagree with Trump on far more than politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Yeah, right, I'm attacking Trump just because he's my political opposition. Sure.

    No, I'm attacking him because he's attacking America. He's my political opposition because he's attacking America.

    My husband voted for Trump because he thought that Democrats' plans would hurt our buying power. Trump has hurt it more than any Democrat would have and it looks like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Trump has lost my husband as a voter. I voted third party last time but this time will vote for anyone the Democrats nominate, because Trump is that bad.

    My family cannot afford four more years of Trump in office. I'm scared about what one more year of Trump will do to us. THAT is why he's my political opposition.
    You both are using the trade "war" as another excuse for what you would be, and have been, doing anyway.
    If a Democrat President had the balls to challenge China you'd both be on board and so would I.

    IF EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT THEN NOTHING IS

  9. #69
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,725

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war



    Oh goody. That will bring China to heel.

    This is getting actually scary.


    How much more of this will Republicans let him do before they agree to impeachment or say it's time to trigger the 25th Amendment?
    What's the alternative? Just a question. Are we to bow to them and their allies? Looking ahead, where will it leave us? China is patient, thinking ahead. We are more focused on instant gratification.
    My guess is that China is hoping for a limp spine potus so they can roll over us, and that is why they are grandstanding now, hoping to bring us to a recession. They are witnessing our political climate and how divided we are.
    Worried about climate change? Think China once they are so big, they simply don't care. Worry about pollution? Nobody is saying a word about all the cargo ships coming and going.

    An older article, but you get my drift
    What exactly is causing China’s toxic smog? | South China Morning Post

    The eco guide to cargo ships | Environment | The Guardian

    May be, along with tariffs, we should make a green new deal with China?
    Go ahead and dismiss my thoughts with a smile. I admit not being as expert as everyone else seems to be.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Amelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,702

    Re: Trump threatens to lift tariffs on Chinese goods to 30% amid escalating trade war

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    You both are using the trade "war" as another excuse for what you would be, and have been, doing anyway.
    If a Democrat President had the balls to challenge China you'd both be on board and so would I.

    If Trump had challenged China in a sensible way, we wouldn't be in the hurt that we're in right now. If Trump had taken China on in a sensible way without first starting a trade war with Canada, then things could have been different also.

    If Trump had been willing to take advice from people who knew things about the global economy and about China, then he could have gotten a lot done -- to China. Instead of screwing us.

    He declared that we had a trade deficit with Canada when we had a surplus, and he used that to invoke powers that Congress gave the president for time of national security emergency. That's just one of the many ways that Trump has weakened us and made it clear that he was not a person to put faith in on trade matters.


    If a Democrat prioritized taking on China, the Democrat would have done it in a sane way, with the support of international trading partners, not while simultaneously wrecking our relations with all those international partners. China wouldn't have given the Democrats everything on their wishlist, but the Democrat would have had gotten more than Trump is getting, since Trump is getting worse than nothing. Trump has set up a situation where Xi cannot capitulate. He has to save face, and now the only way to do it is to take a hard line against the capricious Trump. My state is suffering. The global economy is suffering. And Xi knows that if he gives into Trump it will cost him a lot more than just riding this out. Even with their slowing growth, their growth is still larger than ours. They are building trade relationships with the rest of the governments that Trump is screwing over in his multi-pronged trade war.

    Before Trump "Democrat" was a dirty word to me. I wouldn't have been rooting Democrats on. So I probably wouldn't have been on board. I would have been annoyed at their success the way I was annoyed at Obama's success with Iran. The way Trump was annoyed with Obama's success at Iran, except Trump was so annoyed that he blew it up because his first priority was undoing everything he could of Obama's legacy.

    So, no, I probably wouldn't have been rooting the Democrats on, but they would have done a better job than Trump is doing, so a lot of people would be rightly rooting them on.

    Let's see how much longer farmers keep rooting Trump on with what he is doing to them. They're trying to keep a stiff upper lip -- the ones who haven't lost their farms yet -- but it's getting harder and harder even for the ones who voted for Trump.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •