Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 84

Thread: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

  1. #51
    Sage 3leftsdoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,038

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
    Michelle? As in Obama?

    This women is right there with Hillary as most hated by the right and middle.
    Yes. Yes.

    Our next president if she runs.
    Bernie or Bang / Go Vote for Yang / Tulsi - Just Dang!

  2. #52
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,474

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pound4abrown View Post
    Quoted for agreeance.
    A Joe Vs Trump general election would be great for ratings, I guess, but would be a disaster for the country.
    Thanks frank.
    When I stop answering you, there's a reason.......repeat, When I stop answering you, there's a reason.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,474

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I agree with your opinion of most Republican voters, but the adage about using your head doesn't refer to their ability to think, if at all. Rather it originates from the way each group approaches politics and how they decide who to vote for.

    Voting with your heart refers to voting for candidates and policies that represent your ultimate goals, more aspirational, sending a signal of your support of these particular policies.

    Voting with your head refers to voting for candidates and policies that comes closest to yours and has the best chance of actually winning, i.e. more practical. The best example of this are the 80-90% of Republicans who support Trump. They consciously choose to ignore his racism, ignorance, childish behavior and attraction to our enemies in exchange for many judges, gutting health, welfare and environmental regulations, etc.

    It comes down to character traits. Because conservative authoritarians are overwhelmingly one race, they think and act more in lockstep. Conservatives blindly accept their leaders claims about who they should fear and hate. While liberals are more independent, more diversified, originate from more places, come in more colors and tend to question authority and their leaders. Conservatives fall in line while liberals fall in love.

    There's another adage that sums this up. Getting liberals to agree is like herding cats, getting conservatives to agree is like herding sheep...
    Well said.
    When I stop answering you, there's a reason.......repeat, When I stop answering you, there's a reason.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,146

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarLevant View Post
    Incompetent response.
    Yeah, when you don't like the answer you attack the poster.

    Only two candidates are socialist. The rest are moderates.

    It is what it is like it or not.
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    7,146

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3leftsdoo View Post
    yes. Yes.

    Our next president if she runs.
    lol
    ..
    The more I get to know people the more I realize why Noah only let animals on the boat.

  6. #56
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    295

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by MovingPictures View Post
    For all who think that Biden has the nomination in the bag because he's 12+ over Warren-Sanders, take a little look at history, specifically the 2007 primary.

    In the CNN poll of October 14th, Clinton held a 29+ lead. People were ready to give the nomination to her and were ready to pop open the champagne - something Clinton does regularly. But two weeks later her lead was down to 19+ and by December it was down to 10+. When the year flipped over Obama was within single digits and by the first week of February, he had overtaken Clinton in the polls and he never looked back.


    RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Democratic Presidential Nomination

    Obama achieved that incredible drive by painting Clinton as a bad Democrat, who's policies harmed minorities, looked out for special interests, and who voted with Republicans on an unacceptably frequent basis. He made her connection to her husband a liability, which was brilliant in hindsight. I remember at the time pundits saying "he's attacking the Clinton legacy!" and how that would turn off the base, just like they say candidates are (ironically) attacking Obama's legacy when they confront Biden about his record.
    Look sir, I don't want you to be disappointed here. You have to embrace what is the inevitable.

    Your Clinton example is quite odd to make. Lets review:

    1. Pretty much every single VP which ran for President has won the nomination.
    2. Biden is viewed heavily favorably by the black community. This is one of the largest segments of the Democratic base, and essentially a must win. The fact that he worked so well with Obama, helped him score points with black voters.
    3. He's a left-of-center candidate. This is precisely the type of Dem which wins the nomination.

    Using the Clinton-Obama race is decent, but it fails to comprehend the point that neither candidates were former VPs and voters were more intrigued by having the first "black President" over the first woman president.

    I am not saying Sanders or Warren or whoever rises up from left field cannot win, but you would be foolish not to see the yellow sign in front of your face.

  7. #57
    WE'LL DO IT LIVE!
    MovingPictures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,759
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherFease View Post
    Look sir, I don't want you to be disappointed here. You have to embrace what is the inevitable.

    Your Clinton example is quite odd to make. Lets review:

    1. Pretty much every single VP which ran for President has won the nomination.
    2. Biden is viewed heavily favorably by the black community. This is one of the largest segments of the Democratic base, and essentially a must win. The fact that he worked so well with Obama, helped him score points with black voters.
    3. He's a left-of-center candidate. This is precisely the type of Dem which wins the nomination.

    Using the Clinton-Obama race is decent, but it fails to comprehend the point that neither candidates were former VPs and voters were more intrigued by having the first "black President" over the first woman president.

    I am not saying Sanders or Warren or whoever rises up from left field cannot win, but you would be foolish not to see the yellow sign in front of your face.
    Let me respond.

    1. Being a former VP is big, but the rules of politics have changed. Having a connection to a former popular president doesn't guarantee you the win, or else Gore and Clinton would have gotten the WH. But what's more, almost every candidate who previously failed to win the primary of their party ended up losing the general election, if and when they did win it down the road. Doyle, Gore, Clinton, Romney, and McCain all attest to that history.

    2. Clinton was also popular with the black community because of her legacy with Big Bill, until somebody else sounded better. Yes, Obama had the concept of being the first black president, but people knew that for a long time before they ditched Clinton, so that's not all there was to it. It was her flawed record and being out of step with where the base was.

    3. Biden leans liberal at best, and conservative worst. He is by no means center-left. I agree that those kinds of candidates typically get the nod, but these are new times.

    Biden can indeed win and the cards are in his hands, but the games has changed a lot, and his platform of "I'm the most electable, because I'm the most electable!" and his wife basically conceding he doesn't inspire anybody, really speaks to the reality of how shaky the foundation on which his house is built.

  8. #58
    Advisor nitroexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    467

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    I disagree. To say conservatives vote with their heads would mean they have to pull them out of the sand. Most republicans vote to try to keep a democrat out of office. To me, most republicans are low information voters. They vote on their fears not their heads.
    Opinions are like butts, everyone has one. But yours seems to be broken.
    I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. Thatís my dream; thatís my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razorÖ and surviving.
    Kurtz (Apocalypse Now)


  9. #59
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarLevant View Post
    It's too soon to tell. After Iowa, we'll know a lot more.


    The polls that show Biden best to win Trump, if the survey question was "who do you believe will beat Trump?" if that is the question, it's the wrong question and the result won't be accurate
    The right question is to ask whom would they vote for in the general, if it were Biden Vs Trump, Sanders Vs Trump, etc

    So, I"m wondering what the survey question was
    It's too soon to tell. After Iowa, we'll know a lot more.
    Iowa means nothing


    Ron Paul won in Iowa(LOL)?
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  10. #60
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    295

    Re: For those that think Biden is a shoo-in.

    Quote Originally Posted by MovingPictures View Post
    Let me respond.

    1. Being a former VP is big, but the rules of politics have changed. Having a connection to a former popular president doesn't guarantee you the win, or else Gore and Clinton would have gotten the WH. But what's more, almost every candidate who previously failed to win the primary of their party ended up losing the general election, if and when they did win it down the road. Doyle, Gore, Clinton, Romney, and McCain all attest to that history.

    2. Clinton was also popular with the black community because of her legacy with Big Bill, until somebody else sounded better. Yes, Obama had the concept of being the first black president, but people knew that for a long time before they ditched Clinton, so that's not all there was to it. It was her flawed record and being out of step with where the base was.

    3. Biden leans liberal at best, and conservative worst. He is by no means center-left. I agree that those kinds of candidates typically get the nod, but these are new times.

    Biden can indeed win and the cards are in his hands, but the games has changed a lot, and his platform of "I'm the most electable, because I'm the most electable!" and his wife basically conceding he doesn't inspire anybody, really speaks to the reality of how shaky the foundation on which his house is built.
    1. I am not arguing that Biden is going to be our next President, #46, just the heavy favorite to win the nomination. Citing Al Gore makes my point. I am only talking about NOMINATION process. Former VPs have a long record of winning their party's nomination. This is an obvious indicator for Biden.

    2. Not a fan of Hillary Clinton one bit for the record. Unless we're going to argue that Booker or Harris will win the nomination, I do not see how this impacts Biden. Clinton was seen as "stiff" and "elitist", Biden is seen as your "average Joe".

    3. Every cycle we can argue "new times", "new trends", but that still doesn't dispute the concept that most Democratic voters are not "justice progressives" or "social justice warriors", wanting everything to be free and arguing we have more genders than cereal boxes. Conversely on the GOP side, most Republicans primary voters are on the center-right side. You need to factor into the consideration that older voters and black voters are the ones who come to the polls.

    I believe Biden's wife is simply arguing that Trump is the #1 issue, and her husband is the best person for the job. And as I have also pointed out on here: a sign of a strong candidate is somebody who is immune to media criticism. With Biden, first it was the touchy with women thing, then it was "back in the 70s and 80s, he opposed busing", and then it was "he does too many gaffes". Polls have consistently shown the "I don't give a [fill in the blank]" principle.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •